“Amazing view of the sky”

Skyline Queenstown - Stargazing
Experience for Yourself
More Info
$48.24*
and up
Queenstown Skyline Gondola and Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 159 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Perched high above Queenstown, keen stargazers have the opportunity to access a 'hidden world' not seen by the naked eye. Skyline Stargazing will take visitors to a specially-constructed area high above the Gondola, where there is no trespassing light, allowing for an unbelievably clear view of the night sky. Top-of-the line telescopes give stargazers the chance to view an amazing array of stunning sights, from the iconic Southern Cross, to nebulas, planets, the Milky Way and other galaxies.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Amazing view of the sky”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Made a last minute decision to join the tour when I saw the sky was completely clear. They loan you nice warm jackets so you don't have to worry that you didn't come prepared - if its a cold night I would still bring a good set of gloves unless you want to just keep your hands in the pockets. The staff was helpful and very knowledgeable. They have two telescopes that the group shares. The group when I went was probably a little large - I believe there was 30 trying to squeeze between two telescopes. I didn't mind much because I was primarily there for location to take my own photographs.

For Photographers - great top of the mountain location - get there a little early and take some shots of Queenstown just after sunset in the twilight light. I was then able to take my tripod and camera and just step aside the group and take my own pictures of the stars.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank David Y

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Just amazing!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My partner and I LOVED this tour.

Collette was incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our questions. We saw some amazing things, and stayed warm in these awesome Arctic jackets.

After donning our jackets we headed up along the Luge track to where the Celestron telescope was set up. We talked about constellations, planets and star systems. She taught us some awesome tricks, like how to find due south in the Southern hemisphere, and due North in the northern part of the globe.

She drew out constellations in the sky and they were (mostly) convincing. That damn Goat Fish is more of a triangle though as far as I can tell!!!

The night ended after hours of gazing, with an excellent hot chocolate which was perfect given how cold it was outside so late at night.

Totally worth doing!

Visited October 2013
SkylineEnterprises, Manager at Skyline Queenstown - Stargazing, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi Carla,
Thanks heaps for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted you guys enjoyed the tour so much and I'm glad you even remember the old Goat Fish, although I'm pretty sure I called it Capricornus; it's a tricky one! Don't forget about that upside-down Teapot! Your newly acquired navigation skills will keep you moving in the right direction all over the globe.
Pop by for a refresher next time you are back in Queenstown.
Thanks, Collette
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Looking at stars, galaxies and planets was amazing!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Booked as a surprise for me on my first trip to Queenstown. We were supplied with goose/ duck down jackets for warmth as we were above Queenstown ( you need to catch the gondola to access this tour) and the quality was fantastic. The tour guide was knowledge and experienced with using the telescopes, and I got to see Saturn as well as a number of galaxies and stars. My partner asked a large number of questions (sorry everyone else...) and the guide was able to answer them all, much to his delight. All in all a fantastic night that was followed by a hot chocolate that was seriously one of the best I have ever had.

Visited November 2012
Paihia, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Stargarzing”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

we were booked on the 30.9.13 was cxxl'd because of clouds not a problem we re booked we did it on the thursday night what a great experence Collette was amazing it was fun, beautiful night sky worth the wait we did the 9pm on the thursday night small group learnt soooo much & you get a beauifull hot chocolate at the end .A big must +++++++ thanks to everyone at Skyline

Visited October 2013
SkylineEnterprises, Manager at Skyline Queenstown - Stargazing, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for the review Shirley. I am delighted you enjoyed our Stargazing tour.
With heaps of shooting stars, satellites, planets and stars each night our dark skies are alive with action and its so rewarding to hear that you learned lots.
Next time you are in town come again and we'll teach you even more!
Thanks again, Collette.
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beyond Exceptional!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This little excursion has got to be one of the best values in Queenstown. Collette really knows her stars!! She was not only full of riveting information and answers, but a jolly attitude and humor that really makes the excursion special. Couldn't recommend her tour more!

Visited August 2013