“Enlightening”

and up
Queenstown Skyline Gondola and Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 159 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Perched high above Queenstown, keen stargazers have the opportunity to access a 'hidden world' not seen by the naked eye. Skyline Stargazing will take visitors to a specially-constructed area high above the Gondola, where there is no trespassing light, allowing for an unbelievably clear view of the night sky. Top-of-the line telescopes give stargazers the chance to view an amazing array of stunning sights, from the iconic Southern Cross, to nebulas, planets, the Milky Way and other galaxies.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My partner and I booked the Stargazing and restaurant package and had a wonderful time. Our guide was informative and an excellent speaker and guided us through the night sky including the moon, old galaxies, new galaxies and Saturn plus much more. I am an avid star fanatic and I was very impressed with how much the guide knew and was definitely teaching me a lot of new info.

The bitterly cold night was made bearable by the warm jackets provided and by the delicious hot chocolate served afterwards.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend trip to Queenstown, my partner is interested in space, planets, stars etc so I booked on this attraction as a surprise - I honestly think it was me who was more converted afterwards! We were very lucky to pick such a clear crisp night, as it really did showcase this attraction to best of its ability. We dined at the buffet / restaurant first which we also definitely recommend. Our guide for the evening was Collette, a bonny Irish girl who made the entire evening fun, knowledgeable and interactive. We learnt so much, got great opportunities (which we will probably never get again) to see our magical galaxy / planets. You are provided with a Canadian down feather jacket that definitely keeps you snug during the experience - to top the night off, upon our return to the main centre we were greeted with a delicious hot chocolate and marshmallows, perfect! If your heading to Queenstown, you must add this attraction to your list...

1  Thank StephLumb1
SkylineQueenstown, Stargazing Guide at Skyline Queenstown - Stargazing, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thanks so much for your positive feedback on Skyline Stargazing. It's always great to hear from Kiwi's, especially now that you are converted to an astronomer! I am delighted you enjoyed your evening and come back down south anytime to learn more; it's easy to find Due South as you now know :) Thanks again for your comments, come back and enjoy Skyline Queenstown on your next trip. Collette

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2013

What an awesome night. Greeted with some huge warm jackets and a hot chocolate. Information given during the tour was fun and detailed. but to top it off we saw Saturn perfectly, just our luck though as it was orbiting close to Earth. Highly recommend this tour, goes for the perfect amount of time, just make sure you pick a clear night. Thanks again for the experience!!

Thanks for your comments on Skyline Stargazing, We are glad you enjoyed your evening so much. Saturn definitely is a sight to behold and it will be clearly visible for the remainder of winter. Our Canadian Goose Down jackets are certainly welcomed and keep us all cosy. Thanks again and we hope to see you in Skyline Queenstown again soon. Best regards, Collette.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

On a clear night at the top of Bobs Peak at the Skyline complex in Queenstown, is the awesome setting for a very enjoyable experience being led through the galaxy and beyond being shown constellations and systems close up such as the Southern Cross, the Jewel Box Cluster, Orions Belt, the odd floating satellite and the truly amazing experience of seeing Saturn close up - rings and all!!! You have to consider how far these things truly are so being able to witness these marvels I felt was truly amazing. I was also led to believe that when the moon was visible (it wasn't on my night) it was also a spectacle to behold and if you time it right then you may be able to witness other planets such as Jupiter and Mercury. The guides also seem to know there stuff and are very helpful throughout. I initially thought that they may be able to only conduct the tour to a specific plan and not have the knowledge base to answer out of the box questions but I was impressed by the fact that they had all the answers to every question put to them so they genuinely have done there research and know there galaxies and beyond! On a side note - don't fear the cold at night - they supply hugely warm and clearly expensive jackets for the tour and have a cup of hot chocolate waiting for you when you return after the tour - excellent!!!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

During our 3 night stay in Queenstown, we had clear skies so we book ourselves onto the Stargazing tour.

The location is very easy to get to, just a short walk from the centre of Queenstown and then a ride up the Gondola to the main meeting area. We were provided with Canadian down feather coats to keep ourselves warm and there were two telescopes to share. There was about 16 people on our tour.

On the way up to the main viewing platform, we managed to see Jupiter! Whilst we were waiting for the final glimpse of sun to set, we saw satellites orbiting which was pretty cool! As it got darker and darker, more and more stars were visible from the naked eye! The Milky Way and galaxies were clearly visible and it felt like it was only an arms length away! The sky was filled with stars it was just amazing and combined with the knowledge of our tour guide, it was a perfect way to end an evening! We have learnt so much about the world beyond our atmosphere!

It was such an amazing experience, I would definitely go back again!