My husband and I just got back from a trip to New Zealand (Queenstown area for 5 days) and Australia (10 days) and tried to keep our hotel expenses down to around $200/day. Without question, Villa Del Lago was the nicest place we stayed. The owners are super friendly and nice. They were even happy to give us a little container of milks each day for our morning cereal (which we bought in town).
The little apartment has everything you need -- full kitchen, living room with fireplace, TV, free WiFi, comfortable beds, laundry, and a rather luxurious and large bathroom, complete with heated floor and towel rack!
It was a bit out of town, but that had several advantages:
1) It was a beautiful 30 minute walk into town along the lake, which quickly became one of the highlights of each day. We'd walk into town and then take a taxi back ($10).
2) Quiet and peaceful, with amazing views. The full wall of the apartment facing the mountains and lake were completely glass -- amazing views!
We just had a great time. Highlight excursions of the trip:
- The Walter Peak farm -- so quaint, interesting, and beautiful!
- An overnight trip to Milford Sound
Kiwi Birdlife park was also nice, though marginally worth the money. But it's a good cause and we did get to see the illusive Kiwi!
Advice: give the Dart River speed boats & funyak a miss. Total waste of money, and annoying to boot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This peaceful lakeside small luxury hotel comprises one bedroom Suites and two and three bedroom Villas. Unsurpassed views of the crystal clear lake and the sparkling mountains. Only 1.7km from the bustling town centre, the Villa del Lago offers a genuine lake front setting with its own pebbled beach and jetty - a rare combination of exceptional quality and convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Del Lago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Lago Hotel Queenstown