“Well worth the pain in my bum”
Review of Dart Stables

Dart Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: •Stunning scenery and river crossings on horseback• Visit Lord of the Rings and Hobbit filming locations by 4wd •Options for experienced and beginner riders•All gear provided - Drizabone coats, boots, gloves and safety helmets•Fully trained, experienced guides •At least 1 guide to every 5 riders •One of Queenstown’s best value activities
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have only ridden a couple of times in my life, so I was not really prepared for the 5 hours of horseback riding I did, but it was totally worth the week of soreness afterwards. My husband and I did the The River Wild and also the Ride of the Rings. All of our guides were wonderful--very friendly and knowledgeable. We felt really comfortable around the horses. They even let us trot!

1  Thank flexylexie

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have only ridden a few times before (mostly on holiday in similar places) and although I was very nervous to begin with I had a great time.

When we arrived, we were slightly put off by the size of the group - there were at least 40 people all getting ready to ride. However, they then split us up into groups of 4 or 5 riders (by ability) and then we set off with our guide.

We did a 2 hour (River Wild) route which took us along and then right through one of the rivers running through the Glenorchy valley. This sounds scary but the horses are so well trained and powerful that they had no problem getting across - it was certainly exhilarating. There were a couple of young girls with us and I wondered how they would get on, but they loved it.

Well worth a visit - in this stunning location (used in plenty of films - which the guides will tell you all about).

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Astounding scenery, it is truly a Paradise. It feels surreal riding in the same place where LOTR, Narnia and Wolverine were filmed. Our guide was really awesome, I don't know how she did it, but she was able to match the right horses with our personality. :) My sister who is scared of riding is now a horse lover. We'll never forget our horses, they're well trained and very familiar with the trail & terrain. We'll definitely do this again. Paradise is now our favourite place Queenstown.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My three children and I thoroughly enjoyed Dart Stables. They are very organized, safe, accommodating. We did the River wild which was great for experienced to cantor and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The girls were great, very sweet, informative, and engaging.

1  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We chose the LOTR ride and the views are fab! The staff tried to match your level to different horses. There were 7 riders in total and I was one of the two with few times riding experience, while others didn't have any. So i think they had to arrange those friendly horses to no experience riders and the one for me was a bit unfriendly which I was told when I got on the horse Murphy. He left the track few times and likes to walked on the edge. Luckily I did few riding lesson in my home country before the ride in NZ, so I was able to handled it.
The staff also reminded me what to do during the unexpected situation.

My tips is always tell the staff that it is your 1st time to ride a horse unless you are intermediate level or very confidence to control any kind of horses.

One minor thing that I think they can improve is instead of ONLY asking if the rider (no experience ) comfortable or not, the staff should also check the length of both side of the thingie ( that you put your feet into it).

The views are brilliant and the staff gave a lot commentary during the ride which is very good. Just think it is a bit pricy with NZ $177.

1  Thank WY_KWAN