“Something for everyone”
Review of Dart Stables

Dart Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: •Stunning scenery and river crossings on horseback• Visit Lord of the Rings and Hobbit filming locations by 4wd •Options for experienced and beginner riders•All gear provided - Drizabone coats, boots, gloves and safety helmets•Fully trained, experienced guides •At least 1 guide to every 5 riders •One of Queenstown’s best value activities
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Brisbane
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our group had everything from complete novices to competitive riders, and they managed to find a horse to suit each of us! The scenery is stunning, the guides are fabulous, and the prices are great....a real highlight of the trip!

Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A must do for Lord of the Rings fans.”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This may not be the longest or most thrilling horse riding experience, but if you are a lord of the rings fan this is a must do. We did the Ride of the Rings and Gorgie our guide was so knowledgeable of what scenes were filmed where. Her description of the scenes and how they were filmed brought it all to life. If you aren't a fan of the movies and are looking for a horse ride, this may not be the one for you as it is just a simple walk through the woods but the scenery is stunning. If you just want a horse ride consider one of their other rides or go with someone else but if you are a fan this is a must do.

Visited August 2012
Whangarei, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Overall good time”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I went on the 'River Wild' ride at the end of July. I was going alone (rest of my holiday group were going snowboarding, which I didn't want to do). I was a bit nervous about doing the trek by myself but the guide Hayley was absolutely fantastic and very friendly. The tour ended up being the guide, me, and one couple so four of us in total. It was great to be in a smaller group. I am an experienced rider and I rode "Biscuit". He was very well behaved and there were a few chances for me to have a canter ahead of the group (the other couple were beginners and only trotted). Biscuit was certainly well looked after, and Hayley knew each horse individually and obviously cared very much about all of them. I would recommend Dart Stables to everyone.

Visited July 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenery and Wonderful Guides”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, before I wrote my review, I wanted to read the 'Terrible' reviews on here to see what problems they had as I couldn't understand how anyone could have a terrible time! As a horse owner myself I thought the horses all looked pretty happy and healthy and snug in their own winter coats. The tack was fine, I wouldn't expect to be riding in thousands of dollars worth of saddle. I have ridden for many years and although I can trot and canter I still told them I was a nervous beginner because I am on horses I don't know! Horses are living animals and I have been on near flawless ones that would never do a thing wrong who still have their off days. Finally, the Ride of the Rings is only at a walk as it is otherwise 'destructive' to the local environment, so one person's suggestion to engage your own horse and guide and do it yourself (so you can trot and canter) would be a bad idea even if they would allow you in in the first place (I think Dart have a special agreement). Anyway, that's my defence of the 'terrible' comments. My personal experience was that the drive in was scenic and driver informative, and the guides were great, again - extremely knowledgable and informative. The scenery is magic, the ride itself paced well, and I thought the horses were great. Having been thrown off some cranky horses in my recent past and dealt with some tough personalities, all in our group were very well behaved. The only drama was one dominant one who liked to bite and kick at the other horses, but he was easily brought back in line! No one took off, bolted, bucked or pig rooted (and certainly did not rear!). They are tolerant horses given the variety of riders they go through. To be a soft mouthed horse with a beginner tugging at the reins is tough, for example, but they just push through. The only advice I can give is listen to the guide - they know their horses! It was a wonderful experience, I will definitely go again next time I'm there.

1 Thank Zobottherobot
Adelaide
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great scenery and well looked after horses”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

As a rider and owner of horses, I'm sometimes hesitant on going on these types of treks, as they can often be too basic and I'm often nervous that the horses won't be well looked after.
However the fact they offer a experienced rider trek intrigued me and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the horse look and how well they are looked after, with no heavy workload and the opportunity to relax in big open fields. And as soon as we were finished our ride they were brushed, rugged and given food.

The staff were wonderful and took the time to see what type of experience we had and to fit us with the best horse for our ability. I rode Joey, a grumpy standardbred with bags of personality who loved to go for a good canter, which was perfect for me. The views were stunning and the opportunity to visit this landscape on horseback was breathtaking. Its a great feeling when all is quiet and all you can hear is nature and the sound of the horses hoofs.

I definiately recommend this for both experienced and beginner riders

1 Thank RioAdelaide