“Close to town, frustrating wifi, great car service”

Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Australia
“Close to town, frustrating wifi, great car service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Novotel was so close to town it was a great location. So close to the alley ways that lead to all the pubs, restaurants, ski hire, cafes etc. We had no problems at check in, were able to go straight to our prepared room which looked over the lake. We were able to use the valet service everyday so this was really handy. They have a ski storage area which we only used once and then we stored our equipment in the back of our car for the rest of the week so that our car and equipment was all ready at the same time. The frustrating thing was their Wifi service. There are only 2 computers in the lobby - both were generally always being used. They allow you 30 minutes or 8MB/10MB of access every day (only in the lobby) however I was only able to log on to this 3 out of the 6 days and the other days it said I had already exceeded my daily allowance... They charged $10 for access for 10MB in your room. But there is excellent Wifi at many pubs and stores around town for free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
novotellakeside, Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear AusTravellingCouple,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay Novotel Queenstown Lakeside.

I appreciate that you enjoyed the location and were able to take advantage of our facilities. On the subject of internet the hotel has taken a number of actions. Firstly, we have added an additional iMac for complimentary use therefore we now have 3 iMacs for you to use at your leisure. Secondly from October the 1st 2013 the hotel will now be offering complimentary unlimited wifi to our LE CLUB loyalty members who are Silver status or above.
If you are not already a LE CLUB member, this is free to join at the hotel at classic status. Silver status can be achieved by either 10 eligible stays across participating hotels globally or 2000 points – whichever comes first.

I hope this clarifies the actions we are taking to remedy this situation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great hotel and the location is great, close to Queenstown inner city and can walk through the ally ways to find what you are after and want.

Amazing view and very close to the lake and all activities.

Its the place I want to stay at every time I am in Queenstown.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are much quitter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
novotellakeside, Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Rami_nz,

Thank you for your feedback – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay we look forward to welcoming you back.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 6 nights. The room itself was basic in regards to amenities, the bathroom was rather aged and with no extraction fan, the steam from showers left the room with a damp feeling. As there were four of us in the room (My wife and two kids) we had to ask for extra towels five out of the 6 days, though to our delight one of the housekeepers created a master piece with the towels (I will upload a pic later) which was lovely.

The concierge staff were very helpful when it came to recommending activities and booking things on your behalf. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant, however additional items (Mash, veges etc) were not priced very well for what you received.

Now the important thing, the location. This property is close to the main hub of activity however is far enough away that you cannot hear the bar noises. I loved being able to walk everywhere in Queenstown and only be 10 minutes away from accommodation. Definitely a plus if you have kids.

My biggest problem with the hotel is I paid for the 7 day wireless internet $115 - this is for 1 Gigabyte (GB) and high speed and then speed is reduced until the end of 7 days or 7 GB. The speed reduction was not gradual. After the initial 1gb then the speed dropped down to a very frustrating snails pace, after sometime I was prompted that I could stay on the high speed wireless for an additional 10c/mb. Maybe have something like 1GB a day and then speed is reduced, reset at midnight would be a better option.

Anyway, I love Queenstown and cannot wait to be back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TumRuka,

Thank you for posting your review.

I appreciate your comments and will discuss this with the hotel team. Normally when we recognize that there is a need for more towels your file is updated for regular delivery, however on this occasion it appears that this may have been left out for which I apologize. The constructive feedback given relating to your restaurant experience has also been taken on board and will review this in conjunction for our next menu change.
With regards to the internet, as per previous threads this is something which the hotel is continually working on with our suppliers to hopefully offer better solutions in the near future.

I do hope that I am able to welcome you back in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked this hotel through expedia and had a good deal, we arrived at 10am and 3 of our rooms were already ready for checkin, my room was the only one still not ready.
We were pleasantly surprised with the Novotel, the location was the best and my room was on the bottom floor and had a side door straight out to the wharf area without going through the lobby/reception. The room was pleasant and clean, great cleaning services and I noticed there was a laundry room too which I imagine would be handy to some people. The lobby was lovely and had 2 large screen tv's, an xbox with 4 games and also a fireplace, it was a nice place to relax with our large group after a long day of activities.

The only bad things I have to say about this place is the lack of noise blocking, you can hear when people are showering in the rooms above/near you. Also their TV is so old and outdated, it looks like an old tiny PC screen which isn't good enough for a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the right side of the hotel and on the ground floor, you won't get a view b...
Dear Rua A,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some great feedback.

I am elated that you have enjoyed your stay and have highlighted some of our various hotel services. With regards to the TV’s, the hotel is currently upgrading all TV’s which will is set for completion over the next few weeks.
I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great stay, hotel in perfect location , love Queenstown, one of NZ best tourist places. The view is to dry for, you can visit in summer or winter for skiing season. We went in may and it was just turning cold but with beautiful blue skies everyday, plenty to do and in walking distance. This hotel is by the lake and right in the town centre.

Room Tip: If you are in the Tavel industry they do cheaper rates.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear sshaw1971,

Thank you for your review - I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to take advantage of our fantastic location. I sincerely hope I am able to welcome you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Lovely spot right on the edge of the lake. We had a room facing the road which was quite noisy suggest requesting a lake or park view room. Room amenities are basic but clean. Agree with previous reviews about overly expensive extra charges such as wifi and credit card. However disagree with comments about the restaurant, had a lovely dinner there on my last night, it was gourmet!

Room Tip: Lake view!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear BelleJenni,

Thank you for your feedback – I appreciate your comments and will pass this onto the team. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your dining experience at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Novotel is nice and clean and fabulous location, we enjoyed our stay, the staff were not overly helpful or friendly, compared to other hotels in the near vicinity we wouldn't stay there again, for the money it wasn't worth it , and queenstown is such a small village that all the hotel are 5 or 10 mins from town

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pemb1est,

Thank you taking the time to post feedback relating to your most recent stay at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside. I appreciate your comments and apologize for shortfall in service levels. I am disappointed to hear you say that the hotel was nice and that you enjoyed your stay, however would not return – if there was further issues, please do not hesitate to contact me on h5308-om01@accor.com