“Need some rice”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Sorry am a true Asian and no disrespect to all the sheeps but after eating too much lamp chops, etc my wife and I were craving for some rice dishes. Kappa was fantastic....value for money for sure and great authutentic taste and ambiance. Worth a visit for change of food.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I don't want to be seen to be over-hyping this place but as a 10 year resident of Queenstown I'm continually delighted by Kappa and in my dozens of visits have never been disappointed.

Service is always great. Efficient and polite, but also warm and friendly.

Kappa's prices have changed perhaps once in the 10 years I've been through. They do a lunch special, which works out rather well, and despite protestations by some of my colleagues with larger appetites we've come to an agreement that this is a good sized lunch! - Plus the quality of the sashimi and the best tempura in town should amply make up for not leaving the restaurant with a $12 food baby.

The decor at Kappa is basic, but it's also tidy, and the heaters on the balcony means you can comfortably be outside even on those cold clear days.

I've visited Tokyo and Kyoto and eaten out plenty there and can happily say that Kappa is of a very high standard with their food. Everything they do is done right. The chef is meticulous and justly proud of his creations and little changes are made to the regular items that show devotion beyond what many diners would pick up on.

Everything on the menu is great - though I give special mention to the Ebi-ten roll. 8 pieces of Tempura prawn filled inside-out rolls with mayonnaise and lettuce. The concoction comes to the table slightly warm (from the tempura) and the textures and flavours are second to none. - if this offends your sensibilities as sushi purist, then you'll need to get over it, or simply order this as a side to the excellent value Nigiri set, which is nothing short of splendid.

Kappa also often stocks Suntory Malts beer, which is my favourite now, above Kirin and Ebisu.

I would recommend Kappa for any type of visit.

Superb!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a craving for Sushi and we chanced upon Kappa. It was hard to notice - a signboard that doesn't really stand out much, and it sits on the 2nd floor.

The first thing we noticed was that the chefs were from Japan. We were pretty hungry when we came so we are not too sure if that could be a source of bias for this review, but the food was great!

We had a bento set with pork cutlet that was very well fried, Teriyaki Chicken which was very well prepared, Sashimi that was fresh! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Our only gripe was perhaps the price of the sets were a little steep, but generally that is about the right price for Japanese food!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are regular here and always consistent yummy foods. Small restaurant but cosy & nice family dine in place. Highly recommended in town. The best Japanese foods in Queenstown

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We go here quite regularly (quarterly at least) and love the small, intimate atmosphere. Food is always consistent and staff very friendly.