“Authentic well executed lunch”

Kappa Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #94 of 267 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Kappa was recommended by an expat? and I do remember reading it in the lonely planet. For lunch anyway the service was slow but they apologised an the bento boxes were pretty good. Don't ask why, but it's so hard to find a place that gets the tempura batter right, that doesn't overcook the chicken (teriyaki) etc. The sashimi is only salmon but I've been told to expect that in Queenstown. Very good.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Came to eat with my wife for dinner on a rare night with just the both of us. The food came quickly and was amazing although I thought it was a little sad looking in terms of portion size for the price I paid.

Their sashimi was so fresh and the waitress serving us was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This restaurant was quite average, not as good as other reviewers commented, I guess.
The quality, service and price are all average. Teriyaki ginger beef was ok but very small, $22 is too high for its portion. Tuna hotpot was very poor, disappointing. Tempura was quite good, we satisfied. The waitresses are very friendly and offer descent services but the chef at the sushi bar was drinking beer even in the middle of dinner time, 8pm.

3  Thank jzac99
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

This is the most authentic and delicious Japanese food in Queenstown, hands down. Heck, I'd rather go here than Fergburger, which is basically mandatory for visitors.

My girlfriend and I stopped in for lunch, and got the lunch bento box. Fantastic! Beautiful fresh salmon sashimi, delicately fried tempura (shrimp and veggies), good chicken teriyaki and agedashi tofu. We also ordered an udon, which came with perfectly cooked noodles and a simple but rapturous broth.

This place is so good I'm considering coming back for dinner in a few hours.

1  Thank wnellie
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had the best tempura we have never experienced in Japanese restaurants. That was very nice and crispy. Definitely we want to return and have it there. The price is average, not as reasonable as the local told. The portion was quite small for the price but we can accept because the other restaurants in Queenstown are the same. Only one negative point was that the sushi chef was coughing all the time while we were there. He tried to drink water to stop coughing but that makes our appetite decreased unfortunitely.

4  Thank psong