See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights in early December and had a wonderful time. Bill and Kari are incredible hosts who are a pleasure to talk to and who can seem to anticipate your needs.

We stayed in the lighthouse suite which is upstairs on one end of the house. The room was clean and nicely furnished. There was a separate sitting room with stunning views of Queensland and the Frankton arm of Lake Wakatipu. In the evening sun would set illuminating the mountains across the lake with an almost magical light. The bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet. Pencarrow is set up on a hill far above the main road and other buildings. The bathroom had a wonderful tub and separate shower with his and hers sinks. The house has extensive grounds and gardens.

Bill and Kari were extremely knowledgeable about local activities. They have premade maps for many of the local areas and were able to help us identify hiking trails, jet boating companies, great restaurants and many other activities.

Breakfast was an gourmet production with at least three courses, each a treat to the senses. Both mornings we ate so much for breakfast we didn’t eat lunch.

I believe that we enjoyed our Queenstown visit much more than we would have if we had stayed at any other accommodation. It was not just the luxurious surroundings but really the homelike feeling and genuine warmth of the hosts that made this an experience to remember.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Pencarrow for two nights during our honeymoon and I cannot say enough about how wonderful and special it was to spend time there. Bill and Kari were unbelievably hospitable (and fun) and left goodies for us constantly. Bill even showed up at the airport in Queenstown to pick us up and drove us into town on multiple occasions. The breakfasts were the best we have ever had and our room was beyond lovely, with expansive views of Lake Wakatipu. I was so sad to leave, although we knew we had to keep the rest of our reservations in New Zealand. We HIGHLY recommend this gem!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have been remiss in not posting a review and even though Bill and Kari have already been raved about here on Tripadvisor I felt I must add my comments - we stayed on two separate occasions at Pencarrow and it is one of our favourite places in the world.
Unforgettable views - bird's eye view of water and mountains.
Unforgettable rooms - spacious, elegant and immaculate
Unforgettable food - the breakfasts are to die for
Unforgettable hosts - Bill and Kari, special friends and great people
We have stayed in many unique and special accommodations and Pencarrow will always have a place in our hearts for so many reasons,
We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Pencarrow for one evening after we arrived in Queenstown for our tour of the South Island in early March, 2010. We had previously spent several days on the North Island. After a wild flight into the Queenstown airport (great views of the mountains ABOVE our landing plane), we were unexpectedly met at the airport by Kari, one of the owners of Pencarrow. This was a welcome surprise as she helped us get our luggage. More importantly, we followed her in our rental car to Pencarrow. The inn is a short distance from the airport and near Queenstown but the gravel driveway is very hard to see from the main road. I would have missed it without her help. The steep driveway took us to a beautiful house with amazing views of the lake way above the main road. There is a nice patio behind the home and pretty gardens. My wife and I were given wine and chocolate in our room upstairs upon arrival and a little welcoming gift. In our beautifully appointed room, there was a nice sitting area overlooking the lake. The bed was exceedingly comfortable. Our room was clean, very quiet, and decorated with nice fresh flowers. We could have just relaxed in our room the entire time but there were things to see and places to explore. Bill and Kari were very helpful in suggesting activities around Queenstown. We had a rental car and Queenstown was only a couple of minutes away. The breakfast at Pencarrow was delightful. I can eat a lot of food and after this breakfast, I was too stuffed to eat lunch. Bill and Kari’s hospitality was much better than the already high level in New Zealand. They are warm and welcoming. My wife and I had a wonderful time relaxing at Pencarrow. There were nice sitting areas and a deck overlooking the lake. My one complaint is that we only had one night. If we had to redo the trip, I would have stayed two or three nights.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We couldn't have imagined a better place to enjoy our trip of a lifetime. My wife and I were looking for a place that was unique, well-managed, friendly, and naturally beautiful- and we found it all and more at Pencarrow in Queenstown! At Pencarrow we found the perfect location to get away from it all and slow down to enjoy life together. It was everything we were looking for! The B&B is like a tour of the world all in one house! Every guest room has a unique story and theme that was a fun addition to the fact that they were immaculately clean. Towel warmers, heated bathroom floors, and fun turn-down gifts made our guest room a great retreat. The rest of the house is equally beautiful and has interesting stories to tell. Plenty of room everywhere to either just hang out or spend time with the other guest or our hosts.

The outside grounds are immaculately kept. At night, we enjoyed the clear New Zealand sky in the hot tub and in the morning we sat outside at the many patio areas enjoying coffee and a good book. There are flowers and gardens and lovely trees everywhere you look! It was amazing to just be outside and enjoy the scenery- so much to see and enjoy! One of the best things about the entire stay there was that it was close to Queenstown but it still had an in-the-country feel. While we were at Pencarrow it was quiet and peaceful, but town is just a short drive or walk away!

And our hosts were fantastic! Bill and Kari were some of the friendliest and most attentive people we have ever been around. Their attention to detail made every part of our stay there enjoyable. They have created a warm, friendly, inviting atmosphere that is not found in most places we've stayed. And breakfast- oh my goodness! We were treated to the most amazing, filling, delicious breakfasts while we there. It was a great way to start each day and a true credit to the Moers that they would make sure we started the day in such a fantastic way.

My wife and I count it a real honor to have stayed at Pencarrow and we wholeheartedly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple