“All the comforts of home.”
Review of Pencarrow

Pencarrow
Ranked #37 of 44 Queenstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Bill and Kari made our visit to Queenstown delightful and effortless. Their inn is comfortable and roomy with stunning views of the Remarkable Mountains and Lake Wakatipu. They are pleasant and engaging hosts, leading interesting and well informed conversations at cocktails and at breakfast. They went out of their way to accommodate every need we had (or thought we had), driving us into town, to the airport, doing laundry, making dinner reservations, etc. etc.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Most important is for those who read this to be confident that I am not affiliated with the property in any manner. I have traveled to more than 100 countries; this was my first visit to Queenstown, New Zealand.

My initial email to Pencarrow was met with a prompt and detailed reply with options; I knew from that moment that the Pencarrow experience was for me. There would be many emails; and with each exchange I was more excited about my visit to New Zealand.

The purpose of my visit was to add adventure to my visit to Sydney, Australia. I would spend two nights in New Zealand- arriving at 12:00 pm on Saturday and departing at 12:40 pm on Monday.

With that limited schedule, I sought guidance from my hosts, Bill and Kari Moers… who went far beyond what I had imagined.

I landed at the airport (Air New Zealand is awesome) as scheduled, and Kari was there to meet me (I had provided a description of what I would be wearing and carrying).

By 1:30 pm, I was hurling head-first 43 meters off the Kawarau Bridge towards rushing water at the birthplace of bungy jumping, AJ Hackett… FYI- definitely purchase the photographs and the video, which they provide on a USB.

We then went to Pencarrow. Beautifully situated atop a dirt road overlooking the lake, the grounds are amazing, warm, like the home that we all hope to have (or some are fortunate to have). My name was on small welcome sign. The home was constructed by a contractor, so it has all of those touches that a person who designs their home and builds their home wants it to have for them, not the next owner. Then, the Moers purchased it and renovated to become a four suite sanctuary.

Bill was a pilot for a member of the Saudi Royal Family, so the home is filled with objects and incredible carpets from throughout the world…. Kari was a flight attendant; that’s how they met. With children in the United States and Dubai, and grandchildren, they are two of the most interesting and entertaining people I have met…

I was in one of the two lower suites, complete with high-end kitchen, heated flooring in the bathroom, a great long table in front of a window overlooking the lake- and an outdoor walkway with trees which maintained wonderful grouping of birds. The accommodations had everything- and I mean everything; just like a home.

There was a gift-wrapped welcoming package, freshly-baked cakes, tarts, etc., a gift and inspirational message on the bed each evening….. I felt home, not in a hotel, home.

I had asked for restaurant recommendations- I would have two dinners. I was a bit concerned because some restaurants are not keen on accommodating a single guest, especially on Easter weekend. Kari had suggestions.

Bill drove me into town, about a ten minute ride, and I then travelled up the gondola for a wonderful view of Queenstown; walked around the area and the town a bit, then off to dinner.

My dining fears were unfounded. First was Fishbone Bar & Grill, I sat at the two-seat bar and was fully engaged by the hostess and bar (wine only here) manager. The young ladies were helpful, funny, curious, and bright; we laughed and I stuffed myself. I had oysters, clams, seafood curry, roasted mushrooms, incredible bread with a butter like I have never had, and a huge fruit pie; and wine, of course. You must have the oysters! The food is creative, portions solid.

Breakfast at Pencarrow- juice, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, fruit, yogurt, cereals and homemade muesli, homemade cakes and pastries… then…. First course, baked eggs with sirloin steak followed by pancakes... yes this is breakfast!

The next morning, weather nixed my planned flight to Milford, so Kari had a back-up for the Shotover Jet Boat Ride. Yes, a must-do as well; the 360 degree spins are energizing. Fast, fun. You can also purchase photographs and video; I did.

If you are looking to purchase New Zealand jade jewelry, I recommend viewing the small and simple display at the Shotover office; the tribe owns the company so they are appropriately focused upon value and maintaining control of the quality. Each piece has a letter/number code; there is an iPad next to the display where you enter the code and the history of the piece is displayed- when created, who created it, images of the original rock, history. I saw this and knew that for my girlfriend, this was a gift that had resonance, showed that I took care.

I walked Queenstown, some shopping (check out Global Culture). For lunch, I went with the masses for Fergburger. A cult following. Place an order- I choose lamb burger and wait 30 minutes for take-out… its good. The best part is the staff- engaging, passing out Easter chocolate; and two of them engaging my girlfriend on Skype!

After lunch, the highest cliff jump in the world, Shotover Canyon Swing- 109 meters high, 60 meter freefall, 200 meter swing.

Queenstown is all about jumping and falling and moving… up, down, any which direction as long as there is movement.

With this, you harness in and then select how you will leap or be pushed (they will push you and really enjoy having done so). My first position was backwards- considered a most difficult; I acted fairly confident- after all, I had already went head first in the bungy. Thrilling! My second jump was, well, not what I wanted; I did not do the side jump with hands clasped behind my back; I wimped. But, I did perform a side-hurry-up and go sort of escape. I must share that one member of my group sat on a chair, one sat on a tricycle, one placed a garbage tote over his head. When the staff says that they will count 1, 2, 3 and then let go… don’t count on it! You must get the images and the videos. FIY- watching the videos in the check-in center before you depart for the venue and watching the videos on the bus are hysterical!

I return to Pencarrow before dinner…. wine with Bill and Kari; exchanges about the day with the other guests- a couple from the US (California) whose daughter is studying in Australia and a couple from the United Kingdom who were encyclopedic about New Zealand hiking trails and driving routes. The conversations were terrific!

My second dinner was at The Bunker- no windows, eight tables, fireplace, and warm and low lit… Again, the staff was welcoming and the food outstanding. I had scallops, salad, venison, and honey brulee; with wine, of course.

Breakfast- juice, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, fruit, yogurt, cereals and homemade muesli, homemade cakes and pastries… then…. First course, fluffy eggs (you’ve got to see them to believe them) followed by pecan waffles. Yes this is breakfast!

The night before Easter Sunday, each suite was provided a large basket with chocolate eggs, bunnies, etc. Easter morning, the dining room table was decked-out in full bunny imagery.

Final morning weather again nixed my flight to Milford, so Bill and Kari suggested that I drive to Glenorchy- the curving roadway is one of the most beautiful in the world… I wish that I had more time, but needed to return for my flight to Sydney.

At the airport in Queenstown, make time for shopping and for a hot chocolate from Patagonia!

A note about Marketing and Operations of the bungy, jetboat, and canyon swing. The managers are professional- safety first, humor a close second. Most of the front-line staff begin at US$16.00 per hour; managers more than US$20.00 per hour. My point- these are people who want to be where they are; there is competition for the positions; they like what they do and want others to enjoy the experience. You won’t see unsmiling faces; you won’t need wonder if you have been informed; the retailers, restaurants, taxis (I had a driver from Texas), gas stations, and accommodation owners get it…. They are glad that you have arrived, but want you to return….

Perhaps the best use of 72 hours in my more than forty years of traveling! Bill and Kari created a magnificent adventure for me... at an important personal moment for me.... I am forever grateful to them and for their vision that became Pencarrow.

Room Tip: There are two suites on the first floor and two suites on the second floor; I was in the lower left...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank JohnKavulich
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Kari greeted us at the airport and we followed her in our rental car to the beautiful Pencarrow. We took pictures even before going inside! The garden is beautiful; the view of Lake Wakatipu and the mountain range is magnificent. Once inside, we chose our rooms and found a thoughtful note, home baking, candies...and gifts waiting for us. The rooms are unique in shape, design, and decor with each having its own theme but all very lovely; the king-sized beds are very comfortable. The en-suite bathrooms are ample and well-stocked: a variety of soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions. Kari and Bill provided an amazing breakfast. Their special egg dish was impressive! Pencarrow is well-situated and private. We walked along the shorefront but took a cab to come home at night. Queenstown is very quaint and well worth visiting. Kari attended to our dinner reservations but we also found that Fergburger is a must for gourmet hamburgers!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely and offer beautiful views. Breakfast was outstanding!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had very limited time in Queenstown, but our one-night stay at Pencarrow was outstanding. A beautiful location with warm hosts, Bill and Kari. The breakfast they prepared was not only a uniquely gorgeous presentation, it was delicious. Traveling with another couple we both felt that Bill and Kari provided us with information that enabled us to get the most out of our all-too-brief Queenstown stay. Bill and Kari pay meticulous attention to everything---the furnishings, the food, the attention to guests. It was a fabulous place to stay and we heartily recommend Pencarrow.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Queenstown was our last stop on the South Island which is why we decided to treat ourselves to a really luxury hotel and Pencarrow turned out to be an excellent choice! Yes it was very expensive but you do get what you paid for! This charming little Bed and Breakfast stands on a hill overlooking Lake Wakatipu which means all the rooms including dining, sitting and bedrooms have great views of the mountain and the lake. There were lots of space around the house where guests can sit and relax while enjoying the view. The bedrooms are tastefully decorated with plenty of space - one of my favorite was the spacious bathroom! Kari and Bill were wonderful hosts, their attention to details were most impressive. They cooked most delicious and fancy breakfast for the three mornings we were there. They could not do too much to spoil you. This was the perfect place to end our wonderful journey on the South Island.

Room Tip: All suites have a wonderful lake and mountain view. We had the lighthouse suite which has a separate...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We had two weeks in New Zealand and by far the best place we stayed at was Pencarrow .Bill and Kari ,our hosts,were so responsive and so helpful in all the things that we wanted and needed to do.
In addition, they one of the most spectacular places that we saw.
You can not go wrong with Pencarrow.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The views over the lake and the mountains beyond are just spectacular, but the warmth and gracious hospitality of Bill and Kari made our stay over New Year's even more memorable. The rooms are modern and elegant, plus a lovely common room as well. Bill and Kari go out of their way to make every guest feel special, and on New Year's Eve they made such nice hors d'oeuvres plus champagne that we never made it downtown for dinner. And, the best breakfasts we had anywhere during our seven weeks in NZ and Australia! A perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple