“Such a special place..”

Eichardt's Private Hotel
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
“Such a special place..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed, with our family, in the whole top floor of the cottages that are a few steps away from the main hotel. The situation is amazing- fabulous views across the ridiculously beautiful Lake Wakatipu, and for us the convenience of being self- contained and yet able to use the hotel facilities worked perfectly. There is not much to say other than that we all loved it. They take extraordinary care over the things that really matter (beautiful surroundings, comfort, warmth, good food and efficient service) and yet at the same time give you a feeling of unhurried, unfussy space and time to relax completely. (This is particularly important in Queenstown as once you leave the sanctuary of the hotel you are likely to be doing something terrifying or, even worse, watching your kids doing it instead. It is not called ‘the adrenaline capital of the world’ for nothing! ) I suppose the lasting memory is of the easy charm of the staff- they stop to chat just enough but not too much, they are polite, efficient and confident . A lovely hotel which I cannot fault, if you are looking for simple luxury in a stunningly beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank showthemwonders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Very difficult to describe Eichardts without throwing superlatives around. The place is probably the best hotel experience I have had in 40 years of travelling. The rooms are glorious: not over decorated, but done with elan, and the result is friendly and welcoming. The staff are also friendly and welcoming, while not being too effusive...just very professional. I do look for things that don't 'fit' but I could not recall anything that appeared so. The reviewer who only gave this place an 'average' rating must be very, very particular. Oh well. To me its simply THE best!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reg78
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

I saw photos of the Eichardts hotel in a book called Overnight Sensations when we were staying at the Huka Lodge in Taupo. Unfortunately we had already been booked into at another "private luxury" hotel in Queenstown.

By a stroke of "luck", we had to extend our stay in Queenstown by 2 extra nights because we couldn't get a flight home. I decided to email Eichardts, and Bethan from Customer Service replied almost instantly. Needless to say, our stay at Eichardts has been nothing short of perfect, and our stay here tops it all, we've definitely ended our 16-day trip to NZ on a high with a stay here.

All the staff we encountered have gone out of their way to be so helpful.Marie even walked me to a stationery shop I was looking for. Bethan, though, is the hotel's angel, she is receptionist-phone operator-waitress-bag carrier-miss fixit, all in one, responding to any request with a cheerful smile. Any time of day OR night too, mind you. She literally walks around with the hotel cordless phone which gets re-directed to her after hours!

My family and I stayed in one of the cottages which are more like family suites - really well-appointed to the last detail. My son was awed by the TV which miraculously appeared when Bethan lifted a painting on the wall. That nailed it for him. I loved the spa bath, much appreciated after 16 days of touring. We had 2 rooms and a spacious lounge and dining area, as well as a semi-outdoors "patio" area overlooking Lake Wakatipu. Microwave and kitchenette. Soames & Gilchrist toiletries. FREE WIRELESS INTERNET - something very rare in NZ. The shops were literally 30 seconds walk from our accommodation, and right next door was the Botswana Butchery, possibly the trendiest and best place for a meal in all of Queenstown.

Do yourself a favor, if you can afford an occasional splurge, and experience Eichardts. You will NOT regret this.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TiaraEffendi
Vancouver Island BC Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

From our arrival until towards the end of our visit to New Zealand we stayed in nothing but first class lodges in very unique locations, so Queenstown was almost culture shock. Skip the touring around ski and board shops and just hang out in the lovliest place, with the best view, the best bar and the greatest tapas in town. The staff will look after absolutely everything for you - including delivering your choice of CDs to the room to enjoy with your wine. The breakfast in the "Parlour" is wonderful. We would not hesitate to stay here, or recommend this private hotel to anyone who understands the value of properties of this quality..

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

I was lured against my own will to spend four days and three nights at Eichardt’s, one of the best hotels in the world at Queenstown (New Zealand) – known globally as the Adventure Capital of the World.
I told the Queenstown people I had a lust for high-octane excitement. As a timid middle aged luxury traveller I wanted to get out and taste the world, on the edge. I wanted to become an adrenalin junkie – and Queenstown is the best place in the world to do it...and survive!
But when I walked into Eichardt’s on the edge of one of the world’s most majestic lakes, embraced by giant snow-capped mountains I could see pretty soon why they have been voted as the best small hotel in the world. The manager Victoria Shaw offers me a glass of award-winning Spy Valley sauvignon blanc and I plonk myself half gazing into the big roaring log fire and glancing out at the snow the thought of G Force paragliding. I nestle cosily into my chair and soak in the luxurious lounge surroundings. After a second drink hostess Shia takes me over to my whole cottage accommodation – stunning soft furniture, uninterrupted views down the lake and mountains and grand master bedroom with a sexy soft large fur rug spread provocatively over my king size bed. The flat screen TV is hidden behind a lovely oil painting.
I’m too exhausted to watch tv! I crash early and decide to make a list of what I will do the next day: heli-biking, heli-skydiving, paragliding, rafting, hang gliding, heli-hiking, tandem parasailing, jetboating, bungy jumping, canyon swinging, clay target shooting, fly fishing, horse riding, mountain biking, quad biking, skiing, snowboarding, skydiving, parapenting, heli-skiing, off-roading, sailing, deer hunting, canoeing, climbing, kayaking, ice skating, luge and river surfing, snowmobiling. I feel giddy at the thought of any of them. I get seasick in a bath so that cuts out the water activities. I only fly big jets so that cuts out the air. I sleep like a baby and wake to the tastes of creamed spinach, bacon, eggs Benedict, toast, tea and tasty fruit juice. I feel like a health junkie.
My exclusive Eichardt’s suite is the plushest of all the luxury cottage hideaway destinations I have ever stayed in. It is romance, luxury and sumptuous elegance rolled into one. Eichardt’s is a 150 year-old pub – renovated to 21st century luxury - among the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group. The girls who run Eichardt’s are wonderfully cheerful and warm. I’m struggling to get out of this first-class place. That night I soak in the lavish spa-jet bathtub with a bottle of Envoy bubbly half empty on the heated marble floor. I wrap myself in a crisp white robe and lounge by the fire with some big decisions to make. I want to take to the skies and feel alive tomorrow. Dawn greets the glistening lake, the grand old steamer SS Earnslaw is ready to chug over to Walter Peak. This alpine village of adventure is alive early as people head to the snow slopes and other wild parts to live life on the edge. I begin to seriously exercise. I walk along the small open air malls of Queenstown, feeling invigorated by the alpine-air. Couples stroll arm in arm in designer jackets or t-shirt ‘I have bungy-jumped’ or other bravado branding to show off their boldness.

I race back to my cottage determine to book a skydiving trip or jump off a bridge bungy style.

Then I read an article where England cricketer Ian Botham rated Eichardt’s as the best hotel he has stayed in. Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report have three times rated them among the best in the world – and once THE best little hotel. It is frightfully sexy and romantic. I am dizzy with all this luxurious reading and crash deeply to sleep on my big fur rug.

On my final day after sampling the best cooked breakfast washed down with healthy tea I decide to become a real adventure man. I make a new list: Walk around the lake 100 metres either way, take a gondola ride, soak in the hot pools, be bold and take a lake cruise, sneak into a beauty spa without anyone recognising me; drive to picture-postcard Arrowtown in my little Jucy car rental; watch others go hot air ballooning; maybe mini golf, or wine tasting or just sit in awe at the majestic lake and mountain view from my cottage suite.

You see, they never said anything at Eichardt’s but they definitely lured me –against my will. Heaven! Curled up in that exclusive cottage suite, time stood still in one of the world’ best sexy hideaway, in the Adventure Capital of the World. (Even looking at someone bungy jump or ride in a helicopter makes me feel squeamish).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WordChristchurch
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

This hotel exceeded our expectations. The service was impeccable and the room was gorgeous. The suite was romantic, large and detail oriented. From the candles around the bathtub, the fireplace, fruit and nuts in the room, incredible products with large bottles, to the most comfortable bed with every amenity you can think of, it was perfect. The service was amazing and even while I was sitting at the computer down the hall from the room, the cappuccino, the exact way I ordered it in the morning, was brought to me without even asking for it. The breakfast was perfect and I can't say I have ever been in a nicer hotel room and I have traveled the world. Excellent, perfect hotel which I highly recommend.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank worldtraveler21Nyc
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2004

My husband and I stayed here as the first stop on our honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect. The hotel was small & beautiful, the staff were some of the most helpful and friendly people were ever met in our life, and the hotel completely exceed expectations. The food was delicious, the bar was great, and we had everything taken care of for us from the second we walked into the hotel to the second we left. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a really special place to getaway from everything.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member