“A cozy cottage with a killer view”
Review of Trelawn Place

Trelawn Place
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We arrived unannounced at Trelawn and were greeted by two friendly Corgis. The owners were responsive to our very short notice request for a room that night and showed us the stand alone cottage on the edge of the gorge. A breathtaking view!

the cottage had plenty of room for two people and was very cozy (if a bit dusty... which the owners apologised for- but it was likely due to our lack of notice).. There was a washing machine and tumble-dryer with laundry powder provided which was much appreciated as laundry was piling up! The bathroom had both a spa bath and a shower... and there is also a jacuzzi outside on the edge of the gorge for guests use.The bedroom upstairs was a bit dated and could do with a revamp and a good dusting... something the owners are working on as a new sofa arrived for downstairs just as we were leaving!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We booked Trelawn Place for our wedding and afternoon tea styled reception in March. The stunning location and wonderful helpful hosts make the whole event very enjoyable and relaxing. With all our guests commenting on what a lovely setting it was.

On the night of the wedding we stayed in the Cherry Tree Cottage, which had plenty of room, was clean, tidy and comfortable. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast with the hosts Michael and Nery.

We were very sad to leave and will make sure we come back soon to this stunning location.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This location may be great as a B&B, but is not really ideal for wedding receptions. I attended my friends wedding there in March, and was very surprised at the lack of help on the day from the owners. Instead of being able to relax and enjoy getting herself ready on the day, the bride was running around moving tables and chairs as there was no one there to help. When I asked the owners if they were going to help they said no, the set up was up to the bride and groom to organise. This was not a good start. Thank goodness for the caterers who came in a bit earlier and finished off all the finer details, while the bride was able to go and get ready.
The most disappointing factor though was the issue of the music later on in the evening. My friend and her now husband were told before hand that the music would have to be turned down at 10pm, but on the night the old couple forced the music to be switched off. To make matters worse, they started clearing away all unfinished drinks off the table and throwing them out even if you were still busy with them. My drink was taken away while I was still sitting at the table with a few other friends. No apologies were made when I ran to claim it back. The caterers had provided wait staff who were already doing a great job of clearing. It felt like the old couple were trying to kill the mood, so we could all leave. Weddings are a celebration and as such we were all disapointed that this celebration came to a stand still at 10pm.
I understand their reasons for turning the music down (or off) so early, as they do not want to disturb their neighbours, but then it should not be a Wedding Venue. Who wants to cut the celebrations for the most special day of your life at 10pm???!
Do yourself a favour, book a different venue where you are able to celebrate properly!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Trelawn, Owner at Trelawn Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Thank you for your comments.
We have learnt a lot from this unfortunate experience.
However you are misinformed regarding some of the points you make.
Your comments are from observation and don't take into consideration what the couple had asked to have done.
In future we will have the couples detailed requirements signed by them, so there is no misunderstanding.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

In Queenstown for my sister's wedding, I knew she'd found a winner when we arrived there the day before for the practice run. A breath-taking location not far out of town overlooking the river and backed by mountains and forest, it is truly a stunning venue to host a wedding.

The gardens are meticulously maintained and we found the owners very helpful with the preparations. The wedding went off without a hitch and was a beautiful evening that our friends and family will find hard to forget. We stayed overnight, and while our room was a bit flowery for my taste it certainly suited the the rest of the place very nicely in a ye'olde English kind of way.

Breakfast the next morning was a very social affair around a big table with a great fry up compliments of Nery. You could spend hours in the peaceful garden but unfortunately we had to leave. Our thanks to Michael & Nery, gracious hosts you were, and a lovely place you have.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed 3 days in Trelawn in April 2011. This is the best B&B in my 10 days' New Zealand trip.

It's located in a quiet area and only 4KM away from the downtown.

The garden is definitely the highlight of Trelawn. It's so beautiful. If you have seen the pictures at website, believe me, it's more beautiful than pictures.
I chose the Cherry Tree House. It's a cozy single house. You can see lots of tasteful decoration. Even the plates in the kitchen looks so nice. It's not a big house but I found eveything I need. What we enjoyed most is the time when we had breakfast in the garden in the sunshine, playing with the 2 cute dogs and 1 cat. BTW, the bed in 2nd floor is very comfortable. What a nice thing to wake up in such a lovely bedroom.

My friends chose the Cottage. In fact I called it Apply tree house coz there are so many apply trees beside their cottage. It's wonderful house too.

Michael and Nery are great guests. Michael showed me around the house and introduced how he and his family built and maintain Trelawn. Please don't forget to ask him to share with you the photo album.

If you plan your stay in Trelwan, please book at least 2 nights, otherwise, you will regret.

Last but not least, Michael and Nery, thank you for your walm welcome! I miss you and Trelawn! Please email me when you come to Shanghai one day.

Grace and Eric, from Shanghai, China.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We booked Trelawn place out for 2 days for our wedding in February. Such a beautiful location. Stunning beyond words. Michael and Nery were kind and helpful hosts who made the effort to make our day and stay special. Our family will talk about their stay at Trelawn for years to come. The cooked breakfast was awesome too. Thanks very much.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I can't put into words enough wonderful things about this tranquil place. The owners are fantastic people made us feel very welcome on our arrival and during our 10 day stay we got to know them very well and will certainly keep in touch and return there for another holiday. Thank you for making our time there so enjoyable. They are very knowledgeable about the worthwhile atttractions and put us on the right track for what to do and see.
The location is out of this world, so peaceful and quiet and the night sky was just ablaze with stars. We stayed in the apartment, it was so cosy with its own kitchenette, it gave us the option of making our own dinner or breakfast if we felt like doing so. The ambience is outstanding and I slept like a log every night..
The grounds are beautiful, lovingly cared for by the owners, and the touch of fresh flowers in your room was appreciated. There are apple trees laden with fruit and it was certainly an experience to walk outside your door and pick an apple...yummo.
It is hard to descibe just how wonderful our time at Trelawn Place was and I must say the people who wrote the negative words must have been staying at an entirely different place to us as we found none of the problems they say they encountered so I am pleased I did not take their review seriously or I would have missed out on this beautiful experience.................

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple