This is my first time to Queenstown and my friend decided to book a stay at this apartment as he stayed here before and he actually used to own 3 units in this development. So I went along with his suggestion as his choices are usually very good.
Well, but sad to say, this apartment is really not up to par. And my friend was disappointed as well.
Firstly, the good points. Location is great. The lake is right in front of the apartment so the view was good. And town is just like a 3 minute walk away. But that's about it.
The numerous bad points:
- old apartment + lousy maintenance = in need of upgrading/refreshing
- it was dirty: carpets had stains on them, cobwebs were on the balcony and window grilles, sofa looked sad and saggy, bed was too soft, bed linen looked very questionable, hangers were of assorted variety (i hate it), kitchen utensils looked very dirty and used and the list goes on
- parking can be difficult as there are only 5 or 6 lots available
- staff at reception isn't the most helpful eg, absolutely cannot help to drop the postcards in the letterbox for you even though you got the stamps as posting letters etc are not in their job scope
- house keeping only comes in once every 4th day so you have to make your bed etc etc etc even when you are on holiday
- wifi was very patchy and I was not able to connect at times
- toiletries were insufficient and lousy
- front doors slam all the time and if you sleep in the bedroom by the corridor, you can hear doors slamming and people talking
- Big balcony in the penthouse suite but better put your clothes on even when in your room as the neighbors next door can look into your room
The penthouse suite and the apartment on the top floor shares the same front door entrance but you got to unlock another door to get into the apartment. And as for the penthouse suite, you got to climb a flight of stairs to your suite and open the door to get inside.
It's kinda funny and especially so if two different set of guests staying in the same apartment unit.
Anyway, I did not sleep well for the 5 nights I was there. I really did not like the place. It was a mistake because we didn't cook and it was just a small party of 3. We had the apartment downstairs and the penthouse suite upstairs. Utter waste of money. And we had an extra 2 beds.
Now that I have been to Queenstown, the next time I will be staying at the hotel next door (Crowne Plaza). Location is just as good. And I am pretty sure it will be much much much cleaner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront is centrally located just a short stroll from all the action of downtown Queenstown, and unlike many other resorts is situated on the same level as the lake. The Waterfront provides spacious one, two and three bedroom apartments right on the waters edge of Lake Wakatipu. With modern furnishings, apartments provide comfortable accommodation to suite all occasions. All rooms are self contained with full kitchens and laundries, heating, DVD & stereo system, iron and ironing board, in-house movies, intercom, Sky TV and security system. Penthouse guests have the added comfort of there own rooftop terrace and BBQ. From your lakefront facing balcony you can watch the famous TSS Earnslaw head out from the nearby Steamer Wharf on its daily journey across the lake. For those feeling energetic, take a walk around the lakes edge fringed with weeping willows and pine trees. Whether you are visiting in winter for action on the slopes, or to enjoy the many summer activities, The Waterfront is perfect for couples, families and groups alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakfree The Waterfront Hotel Queenstown