All reviews cape kidnappers kauri cliffs sister properties deluxe suite lake wakatipu the private dining room new zealand chef jonathan course degustation cecil peak breathtaking views short drive downtown queenstown gas fireplace four nights main town robertson
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Every expectation is exceeded at this extraordinary Lodge. Clearly the culture created by the Lodge Manager Emanuel filters down to every person in this property whether that be cleaning staff, front of house or any of the exceptional service team. There is a warmth and authenticity that exudes from anyone that you come into contact with and its a true credit to not only the staff, management but indeed the owners. Words cannot describe the exquisite owners cottage and suites. I cant wait to return.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from Matakauri and we have spent the last week reminiscing. It was the most special five days and I can’t recommend this lodge more highly. The initial welcome from Stephanie was just perfect. She immediately put us at ease and we settled into ‘matakauri’ life pretty quickly. The suites were perfect and beautifully designed. We had our four month baby boy travelling with us and we couldn’t ask for a more perfect set up. The views are incredible but what really set this place apart was the service. I can’t commend Robin and Lawrence more highly. Their knowledge of wines and understanding of what we might like was perfect. Thank you for creating such special evenings for us. We are already planning our next visit and need to add the other Robertson Lodges to our repertoire. Thank you for creating many memories for Antony and I (and Kingsley)

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Matakauri Lodge is second to none. The moment you arrive you are greeted and made to feel welcome as the staff are genuinely happy to see you and you can feel the positive team attitude. The view and setting is spectacular and the main lodge area inviting and relaxing. The suites are extremely comfortable and a nice size so there is plenty of room to relax and they have decent storage for your clothes and suitcases. The staff have an excellent knowledge of the area’s activities and outings and are only too happy to organise this for you. The meals are also to an incredibly high standard along with an excellent wine list. You don’t need to mention anything more than once during your stay for you to receive elevated service. I had a sore shoulder so had a massage in their spa. The lovely lady asked if I would like some Deep Heat to help with the pain so this arrived in my room within a very short time so I could use for the duration of my stay. Everything is thought of to ensure you have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Pros
Beautiful setting outside the hustle and bustle of downtown Queenstown

Wonderful staff. Very friendly and helpful

Comfortable and spacious rooms

Cons
The decor, paint colors, furniture and bedding in the rooms and the main lodge need an update. Especially given that this is a Relais Chateux property. After staying at The Huka Lodge and The Farm at Cape Kidnappers in the days prior to our stay, The Matakauri Lodge was a bit of a let down.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night - my only complaint was it was too short a stay. The service was absolutely impeccable. The transfer from the airport in a lovely SUV by Stephanie (Front Office Manager) was seamless and we had a good chat about life in Queenstown. On arrival at the lodge I was met by the wonderful Lodge Manager - Emanuel - who has hospitality running through his veins. He might’ve sensed I was distraught after my long flight from Perth and arranged for a fresh salad to my room with enough time for me to freshen up before my meeting. Dinner was a wonderful 5 plus course tasting menu which was highly personalised and you don’t need to mention anything more than once during your stay for you to receive that elevated service. Chef Jonathan came out and met us whilst all evening we were taken care of by Laurence who is a wealth of knowledge on all things food and wine.

After the wonderful meal I retired to my room but being sick for the past 5 days my sore throat started playing up. I called reception and of course it’s Laurence to the rescue. I request ginger tea and lozenges if available and what shows up - fresh ginger tea, lemsip, Vick’s 44 cough syrup, and strepsils. Now that’s already going above and beyond for me. Ogie at breakfast was very friendly and welcoming. Ed from Brasil who drove me to the airport was wonderful and we had a great chat all the way.

The room itself is great with stunning views but like most people I believe it’s the people and service that make the place not the product. Matakauri did it perfect for me!!! No other luxury property to choose from when visiting Queenstown!!

Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo