“Not to the standard of kauri Cliffs or Cape Kidnappers.”
Review of Matakauri Lodge

Matakauri Lodge
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We recently had two very relaxing nights at MataKauri Lodge. We have been regulars at the other two properties when in NewZealand and have been sherry delighted with their presentation and service. The property is in itself excellent, the rooms and lodge are very well put toghether and extremely comfortable.

However the service really let this property down. We felt the conversation insincere, the training of the staff to be patchy and the overall ambience lacking compared to the sister properties. Examples were..... No delightful afternoon tea waiting for you upon your return from exploring the region...a cup of tea and a hard biscuit was all on offer. On two occasions we were brought our main meals before the starter plates were removed from our table! The meals had to be perched on side tables while our plates were cleared.......Not five star service.

Not particularly value for money nor the service we have come to expect. Hopefully Cape Kidnappers next week will be better.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank uh2239
There are newer reviews for Matakauri Lodge

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Excellent service exemplified by the hands on Jay Robertson. Matakauri is far more modern than the other two lodges and I is akine to a Delano by the lake. This property had two drawbacks. One was location as foolishly we had decided not to rent a car believing the property was walking distance into town instead of a 10 minute taxi ride. Not such a big issue as the lodge helped with transport but those cients wishing to walk into town should look eslehwere. Second more serious drawback was the extremely limited evening food menu which consisted of two starter and two main course options. While the food quality was good the options were way too limited and the portions too small (similar experience to Kidnappers). Overall the lodge was excellent and I would highly recommend. Jay and his team did an excellent job making it a memorable 4 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Topcat212
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Wow what a find!  Matakauri is a beautiful little lodge with a front row seat view of the serene Wakatipu lake & the Remarkables Mountain range.  Arrived on a nice warm sunny afternoon with the sapphire blue and turquoise lake shimmering like gemstones, and left on a cooler morning but with spectacular snow capped mountains!  I liked the Farm at Cape Kidnappers & Kauri Cliffs but I immediately fell in love with this place! my room also had an amazing view of the lake and as soon as I saw the place decided it would be very difficult to leave the lodge, ever.  Got to watch beautiful sunrises and sunsets, enjoy the best tasting menus, work out at the gym while enjoying the jaw dropping views....everything was just so perfect here....
Fortunately the hotel is just a short drive to all the attractions of Queenstown, I liked Arrowtown that felt frozen in time, the  quintessentially Queenstown bungee jump, horse trekking through LOTR landscape around Moke Lake.     Unfortunately the Milford Sound Flight was cancelled due to weather conditions but heh, I do need an excuse to come back to Matakauri.

The staff here were hospitable and service here was excellent: I left the room safe opened one night prior to dinner,  left an envelope of NZD on the desk another day, and both times not a dime went missing! Sent my jeans to the laundry and they even fixed a (belt loop) tear on my beloved jeans proactively.   On my last day ordered my soy latte and decided to pop back in my room to pick up something, the staff showed up outside my room with my coffee to see if I decided to eat in my room instead....

In sum, my favorite of the three tiger lodges.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We arrived Christmas eve and stayed 4 nights in the gorgeous Lodge Suites overlooking Lake Wakatipu. The views are exceptional - the Lodge has the most stunning location. Food (Jonathan Rogers is the chef) is delicious and menu changes each night. Very flexible with the children's food. Staff so welcoming, unstuffy but incredibly kind and helpful. We loved every minute and didn't want to leave....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2011

A beautiful location, wonderful food and service. The only complaint is that our stay wasnt long enough

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We booked Matakauri months before we arrived. The service was perfect for us.
We even compared with all other great hotels that we ever stayed, and still Matakauri is top notch. The staffs were genuinely helpful.

The Hotel:
Location is a bit secluded, which i like. Not too far from the downtown. Perfect scenery, perfect set, very nice architectural design. Staffs once again couldnt get any better than that. Pricey but at the end, worth to try if you able to afford. Way to go guys... Aaron, Ian, i forgot the girl's name who helped us arranging all the skiing stuffs. You are all great there.

The Room:
Very well designed, well appointed, view is stunning wherever you sit. From the moment you wake up til dawn, the view is crazy. I like being in the terrace and the daybed in front of the TV. Very soothing...

The Food:
We tried the breakfast and dinner there. Breakfast was very personal. They will try to accommodate anything you want.
The dinner, we tried the chef's tasting menu. It was great. Good job...

Overall, i loved my stay here. I wish i could go back again... Dunno when...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suryo W
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We very much enjoyed our three night visit to Matakauri, perfect place to escape the winter blues whilst staying in the snow.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple