“Four Fab Nights”

Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fantastic hotel, wonderful Ahhhhh factor. Great deals in the bar each evening. Staff were always very courteous and helpful. Had a few problems with wifi, but staff stepped in and made calls, did all necessary to get me online.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,016)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in December 2012 and won't return. The location is great, only a short walk to town which was great but we were far from impressed with our room. There was no air-conditioning in our room or the corridors and the heat was stifling. When we contacted reception we were told to open the window which we had already done. We were then advised they could unlock the window for us so it opened further but we would have to sign a waiver, absolving the hotel of any legal liability. A staff member then came to the room, however the lock wouldn't work and he really couldn't have cared less. So we roll the ancient water cooler out of the wardrobe and fill it with water (5 star - I think not)!. Numerous other guests were also complaining about the heat.

Then there was the bed which had 2 single mattress toppers and 1 king mattress topper which slid around all night and slipped off the sides of the bed - very uncomfortable. Next we experienced problems with getting our room serviced. We returned to our room at 3pm on one of the days to find the cleaning staff servicing the room next door, so we went for a one hour walk only to return to find them at the other end of the corridor and our room still not serviced. At 4.55pm they finally knocked on the door.

When we bought these matters to the attention of reception staff, we were advised they were busy. On a positive note, the concierge staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to please and the hotel was very clean. We won't be back though.

1  Thank sharleneanddarryl
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Moritz in Queenstown. The Hotel concept is beautiful! Free buffet breakfast (with a view) was such a nice perk as well. The rooms were very classy, and came with some nice ammenities. My only frustration was that we had to pay for parking and internet service, but I think that might be the case for many hotels in the area.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had two interconnecting rooms one was a suite, here on the 6 th floor for 2 nights. Lovely breakfast room with European furnishings. Our room had a kitchenette with a microwave and sink. And great views over the lake. The bedroom was separate and quiet with a big bathroom. Good bedding nice linen. The hotel is up a hill so is elevated this ensures great views, we saw the Sofitel and the crown plaza both were near roads or on roads and not as quiet. The Sofitel actually had roads on both sides. We had limited free wifi for 30 mim in the lobby that's all Travelling with teenagers this is an issue
I think this is the best hotel in Queenstown

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel does have lake views and is walking distance from the centre of town. The staff were very helpful when checking in. Being an Accor Platinum member they were just about able to muster a room with a semi-view of the lake.

The whole hotel is very reminiscent of a ski lodge and so are the rooms. The rooms are quite spacious, but the bathrooms aren't impressive. One of the poor points was noticing very over price but very out of date things in the minibar. Clearly they don't even have a policy to check these items and nobody consumes them anyway.

The added bug bear is the internet and the hotel really needs to sort this one out. There is some minimal complimentary internet in the lobby but you have to pay the big bucks to get it in the rooms. This really is a let down when you are so far away from home.

Room Tip: Try and get a lake view room. It's definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank spindoc
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from a 9 day stay at the St Moritz, which is a good hotel with its pros and cons. The problem is with their on-line booking system, in regard to room type, as mentioned in other reviews.

When I booked a Suite-Room at the hotel on-line, I was not given the option of a room that specifically said "lake view" room (presumably because non were available). Neither, however, do they state any rooms are "garden View" rooms. As such, I put in the notes on the booking, that I only wanted a room with a lake view. On arrival, however, I was checked into a room on the ground floor, which because of the foliage and aspect is very dark, chilly, has no view and basically is a little depressing. I was told I could have a room with a lake view, but that would be either $60 extra for a hotel room per night or $120 for a suite. I ended up paying extra for a "lake-view" room, which was listed on the final bill as "up-selling", but had to change rooms twice during my stay. I met 2 other couples who had the same disappointment and situation and can only guess the hotel management is unwilling to label any rooms as "garden view" rooms, as they may not sell as well. In truth, had the hotel contacted me to say "sorry we do not have a lake view room available as per your request", I would have booked another hotel.

With this in mind, although the staff are friendly and do offer good service, the Hotel I felt was a little mean-spirited. For example, parking is $15 a day at the hotel (luckily, my friend was staying without a car next door at "peppers", which has free parking, so I used his space). In-room internet costs more than $100 a week. You do get 30 minutes for free in the lobby if you have your own device, but even the hotels computer kiosk in the lobby costs $6 an hour etc.

Having said all this, the hotel is convenient and the lobby and rooms are accurately depicted on-line. I did like like the alpine style and atmosphere of the hotel and the staff are well-trained. Because of the above though, I wouldn't stay at the hotel again, even though I have been a long-term member of the accor loyalty programme

1  Thank HueyGoldCoast