“Location location location”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #54 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Lovely hotel on the lake. Short walk into town. Cheap internet. Clean & roomy. Free parking. Would use again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Many thanks for posting your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Queenstown.

John McIlwain

Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed October 8, 2010

I was a little nervous about staying here after reading the reviews but was left wondering what everyone was complaining about. I think the important thing to note is that there are different standards of accommodation at this Rydges hotel from budget/backpacker to deluxe. We stayed for 3 nights in a deluxe room that had two Queen size beds and overlooked the lake and snow capped mountains. It is definitely an older style hotel but the room was large, clean and comfortable with an absolutely awesome view. There was a small table with two comfy chairs set up in front of the window too - we enjoyed relaxing at the end of a long day. We had no problems with the shower or hot water. The staff went out of their way to help you. It was also a flat 5 minute walk to town, which was extremely convenient as there was no need for a car. The location was fantastic! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. At only $125 NZ per night it was amazing value for money. It was also extremely quiet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As I have stated in numerous previous posts, we do offer a wide variety of accommodation to suit all travellers and budgets. I am happy you recognise this and enjoyed your stay in this beautiful part of the world. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2010

Our stay in this hotel last 2006 was fantastic we stayed for 4 nights,very clean , rooms serviced cleaned and bedding changed each day, I thought it would be difficult with 3 teenage kids on a holiday, kids don't like being in separate rooms, the hotel is very nice we have a huge family suite,with two king size beds, and a single fold away bed, the kids doesn't sleep at night, just mock around , I was worried being told off of the noise they make, and maybe kicked out, but surprisingly the people on the next room can't hear a thing , the rooms are very well sound proofed. Room service normally stops at 12 midnight, but the hotel is very considerate of the needs of my kids that even at 1 or 2 am they provide them hot foods in the room when they call..that was fantastic. The hotel is in the esplanade each room got a terrace overlooking the magnificent vista of the lake,..with lovers walking hand in hand along the lake...I should have been here on my honeymoon so romantic l..but hey even the kids without romance in their minds love the panoramic vista when you open the terrace... I been in so many hotels THIS IS MY NUMBER 1 HOTEL AROUND THE WORLD...

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your time at our hotel and I do hope you have the opportunity to return.

Reviewed September 29, 2010

This is an old hotel that is in desperate need of a facelift. The rooms are small, the paint is peeling and the hotel itself has little charm. However, the location is fantastic looking over the lake to the mountains. It would be hard pressed to find a bad location in Queenstown it is such a stunningly beautiful place.

We were given a tiny room looking over the carpark on the 5th floor. How strange that a carpark is built in front of the hotel and impedes such a magnificent view. As a result the room was noisy with cars coming and going all day and night only a few metres from our room. We asked to be moved to a better room and were accommodated on a higher floor although still with the carpark in plan view. It is a pity the car park could not have been located elsewhere but perhaps that is a limitation of the landscape.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Thanks you for your post. We are in truly a stunning location. Refurbishment plans are underway and the final product will complement the view. A note for readers, there is a carpark on level 7 of the hotel as well as street level.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Summary: This hotel has been neglected physically and lacks systems to ensure a safe and enjoyable stay.

Some of the problems we experienced were purely due to the age of the hotel:
- The roof leaked above the bed in two places. This had to be reported twice to the front desk. They then blamed repairs and an earthquake many hundreds of kilometers away weeks ago. They claimed to be fully booked and had no solution other than towels - I had to escalate the issue to get compensation.
- Plugging in a single small hair dyer into a power outlet consistently blew the fuse for the whole apartment - my partner had to dry her hair in the hallway each morning.

Others issues were due to not having good quality control systems:
- 3 of 5 light bulbs were out in the bathroom meaning it was dark above the shower. The staff member replacing bulbs initailly thought a fuse was blown but when he realised it hadn't he couldn't believe that room service hadn't detected the dead bulbs, but I could: room service at this hotel didn't care and nobody checked up on them.
- One of the sliding doors to the outside communal area in room (partly behind a curtain) was left slightly open and unlocked. We only detected this the first night after coming back from town, having left our stuff in the room. This could have been a very nasty end to our holiday.

There were plenty of minor issues too. The hotel bar had a single pool table, which cost $2 per game. The bar staff had no $2 coins at all. After a 10 minute wait for the bar staff got coins from the front desk and we found the table was missing a ball. It's just a leased table we were told and nothing could be done. Even the TV in the room was set up incorrectly so that the picture was cut-off.

As each new problem arose we ended up laughing at the incompetence with which this hotel is run, but in all seriousness it was a serious hassle to stay at this place and was a really negative experience. There are plenty of good hotels along the waterfront in Queenstown so you don't need to gamble with this one.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your post. If your stay was as stated, I must apologise for the obvious displeasure you experienced. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in person. Can you email me your contact details to john_mcilwain@rydges.com

Reviewed September 13, 2010

I stayed at Rydges for 5 nights in August. After reading the reviews before I left I was a little concerned. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and comfortable and I really couldn't fault much. In fact the rooms are quite large and spacious which was great as many new hotels have small rooms now. The beds were very comfortable and the staff were a pleasure to deal with - especially the guy on duty for breakfast upstairs. Breakfast was fantastic by the way! Great location and beautiful views. Short walk into town but far enough away from all the noise at night. Agree that the interior of the hotel probably needs some updating but that didn't worry me and certainly wasn't ugly.The bathrooms are small but I'd personally rather more space in the room than the bathroom. I didn't have any water troubles as the other reviews suggested and I didn't notice a 'weird' smell. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed at Rydges Lakeland Queenstown for 2 weeks, and had a FANTASTIC time. The staff were good, especially shayleigh. she made us feel welcome every time we simply walked past the desk. The GM definatley doesnt want to loose her. the room was cleaned every day and it was perfect walking distance to town. the view over the mountin was amazing. loved every minute of it. we stayed in a suite which was nice, as it was a bit bigger than the other rooms. the bathroom was dated, but that didnt bother us. We did have one problem on check out, we had room service breakfast one morning for my partners birthday, and it was cold and hard, so we called and complained, and they said theyd take it off the room charge, which was fine, then on check out it was still on there and i had to argue with the guy at reception, Gustavo, why he should take it off, also duty manager told us if we stayed for the last four nights we would get it at a special rate, so we agreed, then we found the rate she told us was not the case on the bill, again i had to argue three times with this french guy about why i wasnt going to be paying the bill until it was changed. Any way, i loved my stay and would recomend it to anyone going there!!! THEN....we went to melbourne to stay at Rydges, and had the most APPALING stay ever! i have never been spoken down to like that...anyway, i will go write that one on there wall now.. queenstown is a fantastic rydges...i just wish i didnt have this bad taste in my mouth now :(

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your experience on Tripadvisor. I am truly lucky to have such exceptional staff and I have passed your kind words onto them. I look forward to welcoming you back and I am sure your experience in Melbourne was an isolated case.