“Hotel is not upto the mark....”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #50 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at Rydges, Queenstown for a couple of nights. The hotel itself is quiet good but the staying experience was not good. The room given to us was not cleaned up properly and even the smoke alarm in the room was hanging out with a wire attached. When I complained about the same at reception they told us to wait for a day or to move to a lower standard room as all the same or above class rooms were full. It was not a good experience for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for bringing your observations to my attention. It appears on this occasion some basic room maintenance has been missed. I must apologise and have ensured correct procedures are being followed.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 5, 2010

We have stayed at the Rydges Lakeland in Queenstown while on ski / adventure holidays in Aug '10, Jul '09, Jul '08 for approx 1 week each stay. On each occasion we have stayed in 'superior lakeview' rooms.

The bad:
The very annoying hot water situation.... the tip from hotel staff is to run the shower for 15+ min to get hot water flowing. However in my last stay (Aug '10) the hot water worked almost straight away but faded to cold within 10 min, which is not good when more than 1 person needs to shower & or shave. I tried leaving the water running but even after 30+ min the shower was never better than luke warm.

Poor shower nozzle / pressure in many rooms. To the staff's credit they did replace the shower nozzle on 1st and 2nd stays.

The average:
The king size beds are those king-single zip together style beds which create an uncomfortable hard zip down the middle of the bed. On our last stay one side of the bed was actually slightly lower.

Room sizes are OK / average. However room 715 on our last stay (Aug '10) is quite small with poor storage, hanging, drying space.

TV is an old style CRT box.

No free broadband / wifi.

The Good:
Great location!!

Overlooking lake Wakitipu and a nice view of the Remarkables.

Quick, easy walk (even in winter) to main village precinct.

Good free parking. Plus able to park on street without paying, or in fear of getting a ticket.

Pleasant helpful staff.

20% discount off food and drinks with a Rydes Priority membership.

Value Tours / Kiwi discovery desk in hotel foyer.

Ski transfer / Tour buses pick up and drop off at front door.

Ski equipment storage room on basement floor.

Overall:
With a bit of looking around you can often book this hotel quite cheap. For us, the good value and great location have over weighed the negatives. Request a room higer than level 7 & not on the upstairs carpark side if possible.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Thank you for your honest comments and continued support of our hotel. I am happy to report that the issues with your hot water are being rectified as I type this response through a major overhaul of the buildings plant and mechanical. I look forward to having the opportunity in welcoming you back in 2011 for another fantastic ski season.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

we were staying in queenstown for 7 nights and was not able to stay at this hotel for the whole duration as they were booked out one night in the middle, thank god! it was such a dissapointment. upon a speedy check in, we went to our room (superior on ground floor) which was awful. i had 4 nights at this hotel and there was no way I was staying in this role. As soon as I opened the door there was a huge brown stain on the carpet, the decor and bed etc was so out of date. I dont mind a historic looking hotel but i didnt look clean plus the noise from the road was loud. i complained to reception straight away and was changed to a junior room on level 1 which would be an additional 40 NZD per night. i could only stay in this room for the first 2 nights then change again which ended up been on level 2. neither of the rooms were very good at all. bathrooms so outdated and look like they are from the 80's. I was here for a 30th bday trip with partner and was VERY disapointed by this hotel. Yes excellent location and looks great from the outside but rooms / lobby were such a disapointment. shali on reception was lovely. would not stay here ever again. hotel st moritz was a pleasure for the last 3 nights in queenstown...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

I am sorry we could not accommodate your requirements for the full duration of your stay. Refurbishment plans are underway and we are looking forward to the completed product. I have noted your comments regarding cleanliness. We maintain very high standards however it appears based on your comments we have let you down on this occasion. I have addressed your comments with the relevant Department Head.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Your standard large tourist hotel. Large, somewhat soulless, good position on the lake front. about 12-15 minute walk to town. Beware though that a busy road runs in front of the hotel rather spoiling the outlook across the lake. No air conditioning so you can't shut out the traffic noise. Get to breakfast early otherwise you'll be scrumming with the big tour groups. Also the hotel wi-fi charges are way over the top, more than eight times as much as the internet cafes in town.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are indeed a very busy hotel and the winter period has a wide range of guests from individuals to groups. The destination is a New Zealand must see and is the country's premier tourist destination.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed for one night in June as the airport was closed due to snow. Room was absolutely freezing. Staff unhelpful when matter was pointed out. Decor tired and dated. In addittion there was a party in the hotel that was really loud. Again when reception were contacted they were rather unhelpful until we pointed out that we had in fact paid for the room and were due to catch an early flight. They eventually moved us to another room, but we had to carry our own luggage as they did not have a night porter! When pointed out to on duty manager that our stay had been less than satisfactory she offered us a cup of coffee, I could not wait to get out of the place. I agree with another poster on this forum, the place did smell weird.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Thank you for your comments. I am intrigued by the alleged smell you refer to. Without knowing specifics, general statements such as yours make it difficult for me to offer an explanation and it disappoints me that this is not brought to our attention at the time, rather than after reading a previous posts. This would allow us to investigate further. We do have an overnight porter on duty. I will address this with the relevant Department Head to discuss this unusual situation.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 19, 2010

After arriving in Queenstown quite a bit later than we anticipated and with no pre-arranged accommodation we were all over-tired, sick of travelling etc, to say the lease.
It was very welcoming to deal with pleasant helpful staff that were able to arrange our accommodation at a reasonable price and all in a timely manner.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay of 3 nights, were very happy with our room, breakfast, great location etc etc. After leaving we discovered that there had been an overcharge on our credit card and when we rang back to the reception it was sorted very quickly with no hassle and they were very apologetic ... we didn't feel it was a big deal, it was an honest mistake.
We would definately return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you have the opportunity to visit beautiful Queenstown again in the near future.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

The Rydges Hotel is within easy walking distance of the main shopping area of Queenstown. It is a beautiful location on the shores of the lake with the snowcapped mountains around. I was there for a week while my husband was attending a meeting.
Our room was small and the king sized bed took up most of the space, however, storage space was nearly non-exsistant. Two small draws beside the bed and a very small cupboard for hanging clothes was all there was. This was not what I would expect from a hotel like this. Our friends, who had an upgrade, were in the same boat!
And lighting was another issue. The desk area, which I used for storage, had no light so if you were trying to work on your computer you were virtually in the dark! I asked for a lamp and they kindly found one.
On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, the breakfasts were good and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I would recommend this hotel but only for a nights stay - longer I would want accommodation with more storage space.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. I have noted your feedback regarding the lighting and storage capabilities in the room. We are currently working through the rooms replacing all bedside lighting. I have passed your kind comments regarding the staff onto the team. I do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the future.