“noisy room, and disturbed sleep”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #54 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We spent two nights at Rydges Lakeland (one before and one after walking the Routeburn Track). The hotel is conveniently placed (an easy walk into town), and just across the road from the lake.

I booked a 'superior lake facing' room, and was disappointed to find that 'superior' means the room is just above street level, so the view is through trees and traffic. I guess I needed a 'deluxe' room to get a decent view - my fault for not doing my homework properly. The aspect didn't bother me as much as the noise. This room only has single glazing in the windows, and there is constant traffic and other street noise. I noticed that the restaurant on the top floor has double glazing, and is very quiet .. I would prefer a bit of noise while I ate as opposed to noise while I tried to sleep! The lack of noise insulation seems really strange given the proximity of the rooms to the street.

The worst thing about our stay was that the bedside telephone rang at 2:00am ... hotel staff were enquiring whether we had ordered room service - we certainly had not, and we did not appreciate having our sleep disturbed. I appreciate that this was an honest mistake - but one that is totally unacceptable, and should never ever happen in a quality hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor higher than mezzanine level.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Houndsoft
Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Got a good deal when I booked our 2 nights here $105 per night which included breakfast. The hotel is in a good location within easy walking distance to local shops, restaurants and gardens. We had a view of the lake which is stunning however I would try and get a higher floor for a better view. We were on the 3rd floor. The rooms need a refurb, they are quite dated but comfortable enough. There was a wedding on when we stayed and you could hear the music until late. If you want luxury and peace and quiet. This is not the hotel for you but if you are happy with basics and a good location at a reasonable price then it is just the place.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui D
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hi there, thank you for your recent comments..please be assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the relevant Department Managers to ensure our improvement in these areas.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was so disappointed with this accommodation I actually considered moving to a nearby hotel! Our room was next to the hotel lobby & entrance(!), across the hall from the hotel's public toilets and was so noisy at night I hardly slept a wink!! I could not believe they would actually put any guests in the room we had!! When I asked the reception person if the hotel was full and if we could possibly move she was so off-hand it was almost an inconvenience for her to offer any assistance at all.
The rooms are so out-dated and in need of re-furbishment it's embarrassing. The only thing I liked about our stay was the buffet breakfast included. I would NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the location of your room before arriving!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Hi there, thank you for taking the time in expressing your views on Trip Advisor. Please be assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the relevant Department Managers to ensure our improvement in these areas.

I take all guest comments and experiences very seriously and rest assured remedial action has been taken to address your concerns.

Once again, thank you for your comments. Guest feedback is important to us and very much appreciated.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

The location is good only 5 min walk to town center and beautiful lake side walk between the hotel. My room was Jr suite and it has large enough TV lounge space and bed room with large bathroom, and the large balcony by the lake front was awesome. nice and clean all the time.
I had dinner at the Benlomond restaurant, the food was fantastic, and atmosphere is great too. After dinner I had a few drinks at the bar next to the restaurant. I think this bar is one of the best bars for me. The atmosphere of inside is very good with modern furniture and some inertia art works. The outside deck with swimming pool looks great too especial in the summer season. the price of drinks and bar food menu maybe much cheaper than drinking in town.
The customer service of receptionists were great too. They were always polite and they can answer any type of questions or order during my stay. Very friendly too. Check in and check out process was nice and quick too I really liked it.
my stay at Rydges in Queenstown was one of my highlights of my holiday. Thnak you for the great customer service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Hi there, we trust you had a fantastic stay in Queenstown, and would like to thank you for taking the time in expressing your views on Trip Advisor.

Guest feedback allows us to improve our services and reward our outstanding team members. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will pass your feedback on to the team so they can read how pleased you were with the service they provided.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very well positioned with great views over the lake. It is very tired and need of an upgrade but very clean. The price we paid for the room was excellent value for money.

Parking was a little difficult with limited spots available. The front desk staff were very helpful. We dined in the breakfast buffet which was very good.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed at Rydges with my mother. We were in Queenstown to do the Routeburn Track, so we stayed one night before the Track and one night on our return. It's about a ten minute walk to the town centre.

I booked the budget rooms. On the first stay we had rooms 601 & 602. Unfortunately they are right next to the pool & the door to the pool area. I had to pull the curtains during the day for some privacy and it was a bit noisey in the evening from people still in the pool & spa. Fortunately the pool area closes at 10pm.

On the second stay, we were upgraded to lakeside view rooms 713 & 714. The rooms were the same size as the budget room except with a small balcony. No bath in lakeside room unlike the budget room.

Had a quick dinner of hamburgers in the Fireside lounge bar. It was reasonably priced and the food was quiet nice.

Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate. But it was good that there were four options ranging from $9 to $25 per person. We had the continental breakfast for $16.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel is beautifully situated, few minutes walking distance from the town center, with fantastic views of the lake and mountains from the room. Taking the early morning flight from Auckland, we were early, but there were no issues with check-in and the staff was friendly and co-operative. Access to our 9th floor room involved taking two lifts and a walk and the rooms could have been better with a more spacious balcony to enjoy the beautiful views. One night, a smoke alarm went off and we had a chilly experience on the pavement!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple