“Great view!”

Ranked #48 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Rydges is situated at the very beautiful lake side (Esplande) in Queenstown. It is at a 2 minute walk from the main market place. We had an amazing view and loved each bit of the scenery from our room.

The staff is courteous and friendly and the rooms spacious and clean. The swimming pool is small but worth a try.

We were extremely pleased that we chose to stay there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here. Very happy with the service. I was a bit disappointed we didn't have a room with a balcony but I phoned reception and this was organised for us - thank-you Sophie. We ordered room service and were delighted with the meal. Location of Rydges not only convenient but also very picturesque.

• Stayed October 2013
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments.. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay I will endeavor to pass on your feedback to the team.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a large hotel but without too much hustle and bustle. We had a nice room at the front of the hotel with a lovely view of the lake. Due to the acoustics of the location, sounds from the road; cars, lorries, buses and people talking, all echoed up into the room. The location is good as it is only about 10 minute’s walk from the centre of Queenstown and the harbour, but far enough out not to hear the music from the continuous entertainment.
For us, the downside of this hotel was that it was popular for functions. This meant that the restaurant was closed for hotel guests and we had to use the bar instead. This required us to sit at a high table on bar stools or armchairs with coffee tables – neither of which were suitable to eat at. When we did get to use the restaurant, it was large and impersonal with a fairly ordinary menu. On the plus side, there was a long window where we could sit and look out over the lake – this was very pleasant.
There was a pool on the roof next to the bar. This was small and the water was cold so we were not inclined to use it. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was a good base from which to take excursions and go on activities.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Clinton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We booked an "economy" room which we were not happy with. The beds were small, there was no view, and lots of huge busses were parked behind it. We complained to the front desk and were upgraded to a much nicer room at no additional cost. The room we stayed in was quite nice - it had a two good beds, had a lake view, and had a much better bathroom.

We would recommended the hotel overall, but not the "economy" room option.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I just stayed 9 nights here, and it was great!
I got an incredibly amazing deal on a 1 bedroom suite with lake views, internet and breakfast included for my entire family (2 adults, 2 young children) I knew I would not get a deal like that on a Rydges property anywhere else, so I snapped it up and prepaid the stay. Only after I booked and paid did I get curious enough to read through the trip advisor reviews, which were harsh, unfavorable, and full of whingepot travellers complaining over just about anything. Wouldn't have booked if I read those first, so I'm glad I didn't. I was really stressed out about checking in because let's face it, no one wants to stay in a crappy hotel, especially for 9 nights with 2 preschoolers! We checked in on a busy Saturday afternoon and got keys to our room - a junior suite on the 4th floor which was not what we booked, I called reception and flagged that we really needed the one bedroom, within 5 minutes they had it sorted and we had keys to our room on the 6th floor ("I just have to tell you though, this room has a shared balcony..." he said. "that's ok, I don't mind.") décor and size of the rooms was similar, but the junior suite had 2 separate private Juliette balconies, the 6th floor 601 - 611 has one big shared terrace. We loved it. It meant my kids could wander out for moments of fresh air here and there. In the afternoons I would sit outside with a cup of tea, and the hotel supplied hot chocolate sachets for the boys each day - they thought it was great! (You DO have to keep an eye on your little ones though, I would not have them out there unsupervised, as the bars are wide enough to fit a little body through. I didn't mind, I've always got an eye on my kids anyway so we didn't have any worries.) The room décor was traditional rydges, comparable to Rydges Cronulla, Rydges in Melbourne, the different Rydges in Canberra and others. It did not smell musty as some travellers complained. The carpet is older, you can tell it is not brand new, but it has been maintained through the years and is not worn out, so you would not expect them to change the carpets for a few years yet. Likewise the bathrooms are not brand new, but they are clean and well maintained. The sheets, towels and pillows are white, fresh, and clean. The usual soaps are supplied and restocked by housekeeping daily. I found our housekeepers were always friendly and accommodating, At some point my boy ripped his bookbag and we asked for an emergency sewing kit from reception which was no problem, so if you have "oops I forgot" stuff, ask the hotel first and they may be able to help you out. Breakfast daily was good, there's bread, pastries, tea and coffee along one wall, another bar has cereals, fruit, nuts, water and juice, plain yogurt with 4 choices of fruit puree or compote, and ham and cheese (you might want to make yourself mini ham and cheese croissants - too good! :) The hot breakfast bar had the standard selection, and there were 1 or 2 items that would change on a rotating basis, some days there might be a vegetable frittata, tomorrow there might be something else. The swimming pool is heated, I'd guess it's around 25 degrees(?) It's on the cool side when the wind blows past. it's not as private as you might like, I think maybe the person at the fireside bar where you get your towels is supposed to keep an eye over the pool perhaps? but the net result is you have diners watching you while you're having a swim or sitting in the whirlpool which is a bit awkward, but either way, we had fun. It was really important to us to stay in a property where I could take the kids for a swim, and we had this here.
we had breakfast every morning in Ben Lomand restaurant, but no dinners. One evening we ate in the fireside lounge, I ordered the kids some fish and chips to share. It tasted nice and arrived within minutes of ordering, so that was a nice experience as well.
We found most of the staff were kind, considerate and helpful, and eager to serve. I did find that Ruby at reception in particular maintained a high spirited and sincere
The best thing about this place though is definitely the lake views with the mountain backdrop, and the location. It is an easy mostly flat walk to shotover street, beach street, the mall, and the rest of the town centre. It's a small town so you can walk everywhere, even with little kids.
Queenstown itself doesn't offer many activities for kids under 6 or 8 years old, but they did enjoy the gondola, the paddle boats, and the lake cruise. The trip on the TSS Ernslaw over to Walter Peak was a highlight halfway through our stay, and every day after that the boys were excited to see the steamboat pass by our hotel 3 or 4 times each day. There is not a dedicated kids channel on t.v. but if you wake up early in the day you can catch a few hours of kids programming. We never did, my kids slept in every day. We did walk across the road from the hotel each day to visit the kids playground equipment in St Omer Park. All in all, if there is anywhere to stay for 9 consecutive nights in queenstown, I'm really glad I chose to stay here. I could have stayed at Crowne Plaza for double the price and not had the same amenities and inclusions, and would have been further away from the playground. I could have stayed in any number of 1 or 2 bedroom apartment style accommodation, but we've been there and done that before - you think it's great to have a full kitchen so you can cook your own meals, but then it's not really much of a holiday if you have to cook and clean up after, Queenstown has over 250 different places to eat in all price ranges - why not get out and try some of them. As well, most of the apartment accommodation is up on the hill, and that would have been a killer trying to walk the kids up and down once, twice, or several times per day. For us, we made a great choice to stay here for the duration of our Queenstown holiday. Thank you Rydges for your cleanliness, your service, your location, and all of your hospitality. Thank you, and thank you again. p.s. our free internet worked seamlessly for the entire stay with no dropouts and worked no matter where we were in the hotel, perfect for checking emails, internet searches, etc, naturally you should not expect to complete high bandwidth activities on this public network - keep your Skype video calls short. The internet is good but keep in mind there are others using it.

Room Tip: This hotel is all about the 1 bedroom lakeside rooms, so try to get one of those. If you stay on fl...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank toastedsnowman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here for a night in November before heading south & the best part was how central it is from the city centre plus the views of the lake as you take a stroll into town! Loved it.
The budget rooms were ok. You get what you pay for ;) The room needed to be freshened up, had a musty smell.
Will return again :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments..Your feedback is very much appreciated and will be discussed in our upcoming Guest Services Meeting to ensure improvement in the areas you mentioned.

Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

With low expectations based on the price what a nice surprise! I can recommend this place wholeheartedly, very comfortable bit of noise from festive fellow guests but that's hardly the fault of the hotel! Great staff I'd def stay here again

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hi there, thank you so much for your recent comments much appreciated.. will endeavor to pass on your feedback to the team.