“Last minute reservations, wish I had stayed longer.”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #50 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked a room at the last minute here because the road to Milford Sound had been closed so I decided to stay in Queenstown. The room was only $75 per night. The room was very nice, clean, large bathroom. Every bit as nice as places I have stayed that cost 3 times this price. Ended up staying an extra night at the end of my trip and cancelled my room at another hotel. The last night they upgraded me to a Lake View room. Loved this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time in completeing your comments on Trip Advisor at the end of your recent stay with us.

I value your comments and was delighted to read you had a fantastic time with us in Queenstown.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at ridges in November 2012. The hotel has seen better days, but it is comfortable and clean and you have a fantastic view from your balcony. Compared with other Queenstown accommodation, it is reasonably priced. It is walking distance from town, a five minute walk into the cafe strip and as a result we found no need for a car while staying in Queenstown.

Forget breakfast at the hotel. There is much better food at a much better price downtown.

The fireside bar has ok meals at a reasonable price.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you for your comments regarding your reason stay..I trust you had a fantastic time in Queenstown.

I do hope you we have the opportunity to welcome you back tio the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have booked One bedroom suite with Lake View for 4 nights including breakfast. We were impressed by the look of the hotel and the suite so we were looking forward to a great relaxing stay. But everything changed from the moment we walked in to the reception area. We had lots of luggage and were desperate for some help with suitcases, but there was NOBODY available! We were told to get a trolley and manage our luggage ourselves and that was the end of the story. We went twice up and down to manage our luggage because there was no trolley available ! The check in was just as disappointing - lack of service, unfriendly and unprofessional receptionist who told us in a very rude manner that we are "too early" ( we arrived at 1.30pm ) so the room is not ready yet and that we shall wait until somebody will come and inform us about when we can check in. So we sat down in the reception area and waited. And waited...And waited...After 45 minutes my husband went to the reception again and was told that they are not sure if our room is ready yet and to wait few more minutes. Finally, after nearly an hour of waiting, we got our keys. We expected our suite would be nice and modern, with lovely private balcony, as seen on the photos on the website. When we walked in, the first thing we noticed was a tired, worn out room with old furniture and nothing like on the photos. We noticed that there is no private balcony but a huge terrace which was shared by other guests as well. So our next door neighbour was standing right outside our bedroom window, smoking and talking on the phone so laud that we could hear the whole conversation. He and the children were walking ( and running ) up and down the terrace, passing our bedroom and living room. We have to pull the curtains together to ensure some privacy so goodbye Lake view !!! I was desperate for a shower after the long day and then I noticed there are NO TOWELS at all. So we informed the reception and we were told it will be fixed soon. I waited another hour and still no towels. We had enough and decided to go out for dinner, trying to forget all the hassle. On the way out my husband went to the reception again and explained that we are still waiting on towels. We were assured the towels will be in the bathroom by the time we get back. We got back at 9pm and guess what? NO TOWELS! Again we phoned the reception and again we were told "somebody will be there shortly". At 9.30pm we finally got the towels - no "hi", no "i'm sorry" - just a knock on the door, without a word we were given towels and the person left! We waited for towels for more than 6 hours and nobody at least apologised! Also be aware of very thin walls! We could hear our neighbours until 1am laughing and talking and having TV on very loudly. The buffet breakfast was another disappointment - poor variety, dry bread, cold scrambled eggs and an old useless toaster! The only positive was a quite comfortable bed, clean big room , which was also nice and warm. I would not recommend this property and will never return!

Room Tip: When you book a One bedroom suite with Lake view make sure you ask for a private balcony!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maja1958

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown.

I appreciate your feedback, therefore giving the team and myself a clear objective in our continued pursuit of service excellence. I have followed up with the relevant team and the Manager on duty to go through the service period to highlight where improvements and retraining needs to be made.

I do apologise for the obvious displeasure you experienced with your accommodation. Our hotel is earmarked for refurbishment in the near future. Once this is completed, all our rooms and facilities will be up to the expected standard.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inadequacies you experienced during your recent stay.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a lovely place to stay, right on the waters edge. We had a room at the front of the hotel with a small. balcony. Close to CBD and a great place to walk along the esplanade. A easy walk to the centre of Queenstown. Had free parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel for the great views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hi there,

I trust you had a fantastic stay in Queenstown and would like to thankyou for your comments.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Where to start ........ It was an awesome experience. It starts off when you book in - the staff is absolutely amazing, friendly and nothing was too much for them to assist you with. The rooms was more than I expected for the price and the view was just breathtaking. I would truly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for a professional, good price and great experience. We will definitely stay at the Rydges the next time we visit and I will highly recommedn this to others.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the Lake view rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there, thank you very much for your comments I trust you had a fantastic stay in Queenstown.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This large hotel is sited on the shores of Lake Wakatipu and just 5 minutes walk to the centre of town. We spent 3 nights here and wished it had been longer. Pulling open the curtains each morning to see what must be one of New Zealand's best scenic views was a great start to each day.

We had a standard room (Kingsize bed) and a small balcony with table and chairs.... great to sit at with a glass of wine and watch the activities on the lake with jet boats, paraflights, scenic boat trips and of course the steamer "Earnslaw". More on that later.

The hotel room was spotlessly clean and the walls in the bedroom looked freshly painted. The bathroom was a little dated, but again was very clean and everything worked well. I have to mention the hotel staff too, as everyone we met was pleasant and knowledgeable about the hotel and their town.

The hotel had 2 restaurants and a bar. One night we ate in the cafe/restaurant where meals were around $17.00 to $20.00. There is an outside area as part of this which was nice on a calm evening.

Queenstown isn't called the adventure capital for nothing - jet boating, paragliding, white water rafting on the Shotover river, bungy jumping, fishing, horse riding, a trip to Milford Sound, a ride on the gondola, the luge, cycling, triology trail (Lord of the Rings), hot air ballooning, helicopter tours and of course skiing in Winter. It's all here.

More leisurely is a visit to Arrowtown, a walk around the Queenstown Gardens, a trip on to steamer Earnslaw which has several trips a day. The steamer has a bar, cafe and even a grand piano for singalongs on the way back. Well worth the $55.00.

The area around the wharf is very nice with lots of cafe seating and a park. Don't forget to buy a huge ice cream in a huge cone.

All in all it was a great trip.

Room Tip: Book a lakeside room with balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Kia Ora, I trust you had a fantastic stay in Queenstown and thank you for your comments.

I do hope you we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Having been at the Rydges six years ago, i was impressed by the location and service. Its been a long time since then, and though the location hasn't changed, and service still commendable, i can see the hotel needing some upgrades and renovations. No complaints from my end...the room was clean and comfortable, restroom tidy as well. Service was good and personnel friendly. Hope they keep up the work and continue to strive for excellence and good service!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Hi there,

I do appreciated your recent comments our hotel is earmarked for refurbishment in the near future. Once this is completed all our rooms & facilities will be up to the expected standard.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your feedback to our team members.