“Paper thin walls, but everything else was great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #49 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Brisbane, Australia
“Paper thin walls, but everything else was great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2010. As it was our first visit to Queenstown, the hotel was easy to find, but the car park wasn't big enough to accommodate the whole hotel and one night we had to park on the street.

Reception staff were very polite on arrival, getting to our room from the main entrance was a bit of a job though, as we had to use two different elevators on opposite sides of the hotel to get to our room, because of the shape of the hotel. Our view of the lake was magnficent, couldn't fault it at all.

We ate dinner at their restaurant one night, as they had a special going. The meals were beautiful, although a little on the small side for the price.

The biggest issue we had the Rydges Queenstown was our room had a door connecting us to the room next door. The french person located in that room decided to call her friends/family/anyone she could find at about 3:30am, as well as have the tv blaring all night. On the first night, I knocked on her door and told her to keep the noise down, but it made no difference, we were awake and it felt like she were in the room with us. It was terrible. The second night... same again, and I could hear someone else from another room knock on her door to keep the noise down again. Third night... same again..... and went for over an hour and a half.

The room was tidy and modern, and we had pre ordered a cheese platter prior to arrival, it was very nice but had a lot of dried fruit which I don't eat.

Location wise, Rydges was an easy walk to the centre of Queenstown.

I would stay here again, as long as there is no one else in the rooms either side of us!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Your feedback is important to us, especially during our refurbishment planning. The sound proofing between our interconnecting rooms is being addressed in the hotel upgrade. For the benefit of readers, out of the 255 rooms, 18 interconnect and are designed to accommodate larger families. I am glad the remainder of your stay with us was enjoyable and I trust we have the opportunity to host you in the future.
Kind Regards
John McIlwain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I read a few reviews on Rydges that made me not want to stay there, but I thought "people only write reviews when they are unhappy" and gave it a shot.

We got a suite, so we thought that may alleviate some of the issues other reviewers had been complaining about. Stunning location right on the lake. Just a few mins walk from town, which this time of year is fine, however probably too far in colder weather. The room is fine, the bed is very comfortable. However the shower has no pressure at all and the breakfast that you pay $25 each for each day is awful. Also had horrendous issues getting wifi to work in the room and opted to pay coins in the lobby instead.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Johnmac1, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I am sorry you felt your stay did not meet with your expectations. I have addressed your comments with the engineer relating to water pressure to ensure remedial action is taken. In addition, I discussed your comments with the chef regarding your opinion on breakfast. I must point out that we do get a great deal of good comments relating to our breakfast. The wifi connectivity is currently only available in our conference rooms. We are in the process of installing wifi throughout the entire hotel to ensure superior coverage. This will be completed shortly.
I trust we will have the opportunity to host you again.

Brisbane, QLD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

NB: went in April 2010 (no option in menu). I arrived late in the afternoon and needed a place to crash before going to Wanaka the following day for the Warbirds. Having visited Queenstown in 2009 (when I stayed elsewhere) and being a Rydges member, I thought I'd try this place, and wasn't disappointed. I knew it was a special rate and so didn't expect the most scenic room, but as I just needed somewhere central it certainly had everything I needed in a spacious room with all the amenities I wanted. The buffet breakfast was a tasty treat, and the reception staff were very professional. I'll stay here again next time I visit, hopefully for a longer stay with my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lake Wakatipu - beaut view
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank chana2
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Christchurch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed for two nights - the hotel has fantastic views of the lake and is close to town. Try and get a deal which also includes or gives a reduced rate breakfast as it is outstanding. However I would not consider this a 4 star hotel. Apparently we were in a Deluxe Room (there are junior suites and budget rooms cheaper than this) but I would not consider this to be to deluxe standard. The rooms were small, clean and functional. Good location but if you are expecting a high class hotel you may be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the lake view.
1 Thank WigglesChristchurch
Thank you for your post. I have passed your comments onto the team regarding breakfast. The Chef thanks you. We are a mid range hotel offering a variety of room types. I believe there is a room type to suit all budgets and personal choice. I trust we will have the opportunity to host you again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with a friend. Awesome location, about a 5 minute walk to the town centre and brilliant views of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables.

My friend is a Rydges Priority Guest (RPG) member, so we got the room at a really good rate and also had breakfast included, which is a great bonus.

The beds were very comfortable, I would have liked a slightly firmer pillow, but I am very fussy about my pillows and normally will take my own whenever I can. The room had a very efficient heater, we would turn it on and leave the room for the day and it would be nice and toasty when we came back, and then would turn down the heater overnight, and the room stayed lovely and warm. Not sure how the room would be in summer as they have an opening window rather than an air-conditioning unit. The rooms were also very quiet, I heard almost nothing from the hallway and surrounding rooms.

The bathroom was a little on the small side, but still functional. The shower was decent, didn't use the bath so I can't comment on that.

I didn't have too much to do with the staff, but the ones I did deal with were friendly and efficient. The breakfast was good, just a wee bit disappointed that there was no Marmite for my toast. There was a good range of food and drink options, and the hot food was changed regularly to ensure it stayed fresh and hot.

There is parking available, if the parking at the front is full, there is another carpark accessible by using the road that runs behind the hotel and there is street parking available. We weren't told this by the staff, but it is mentioned in their welcome guide in the room.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again, especially if I got the same rate that we got for this stay.

Room Tip: Become a Rydges Priority Guest member.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank chocfish
Thank you for your kind post. I have passed your comments onto the team. Marmite, you are 100% correct. I will arrange that straight away. It is one of my favourites too!

Salem OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for several days as part of a group tour. Had a large room to myself, room opened onto to a huge veranda which several of the guests could enjoy and got a great view of the lake and mountains. Location couldn't be better, just a short walk to the shops and the wharf. Food was good. Could not ask for anything better in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Miriam D
We are blessed with the dramatic scenery on offer in Queenstown and I am happy you could enjoy it from the comfort of your room. I trust you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

For $129.00 a night we got lake views, walking distance to Queenstown, and a great breakfast. For the reviewers who say not a four star, please remember you get what you pay for! We have stayed in five star hotels in New Zealand at $600 a night and I have to say I felt Rydges provides great value. A bit out dated but clean and a very good breakfast with a wide range of choice for all cultures. The staff were friendly, professional and helpful. We would have no problem staying at Rydges Queenstown again. And would recommend it to family and friends. Keep up the great work

1 Thank lenag23
Many thanks for your kind comments. I am truly lucky to have such a great team and I have passed your kind comments onto them.