“Great Place But Needs Some TLC”

Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel
Ranked #29 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel opened with great fanfare when I lived in Queenstown many years ago. Getting many awards over the years. It has been surpassed by many hotels since then such as Millbrook, Matakauri and Blanket Bay but is still one of the iconic hotels in Queenstown.
This is an outstanding hotel, it still has the feeling of something special. It needs a good clean and some paint but on the whole a great place to stay with an excellent view over the Shotover River.
Our room was only $148.00 per night which I think was an off season rate as I see it advertised at $300 elsewhere.
We didn't eat at the hotel but went to Gantley's which was nearby and has an outstanding wine list, menu and service.
A very odd thing about the hotel is the paintings it has on the walls. Reminded me of the paintings at Hogwarts, mostly portraits and down right ugly, didn't see any of them move though. What about paintings of the local area.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the ground floor. The higher floors have a great view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
There are newer reviews for Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Le me first say that Nugget Point is a nice hotel with a GREAT staff. There is no doubt that I would have given this property 4 stars if the beds had been up to par with the rest of the hotel. Its views are great, granted you have Dart River view, and the rooms are large, decorated nicely, and have expansive bathrooms that are actually quite nice. The properties location is good with approximately a 10 minute drive to the Queenstown city center. The dining room, pool, hot tub, and sauna are all very nice as well. It is sad that I have to give this property an average rating but until they do something about the beds I just can't justify it. Sleep quality is as important as customer service and aesthetic beauty.

Room Tip: Rooms with a Dart River view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nice location. Top quality spa, pool, sauna, steam room and showers.
Rooms are a little dated but warm and very comfortable. Nice staff and tasty food with a sensational view in the main restaurant. Great price by booking on wotif.com

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 for overall rating mainly for the awesome service received from staff and the amenities provided and value for money. We booked two rooms with river view - the view is amazing! Spacious rooms. However, the fold out bed where my sister slept was not very comfortable. The beds (two single beds joined together) were comfortable but I would imagine a couple sharing the same bed may find the divide in the middle somewhat annoying.

The cleaners could pay a little bit more attention in their cleaning also. Floor in the bathroom around the bottom of the sink were dusty in both rooms. I think this hotel has the potential to be really grand, however, you can certainly see little things here and there where things are a little bit worn out, misses its mark or needs fixing eg. the tap in the public bathroom by the reception wouldn't turn off, sign on the movie theatre door printed on a piece of laminated paper and stuck to the door. I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to get a proper sign/plaque made? To be honest though, we got a really good deal for the rooms, so overall, it is value for money.

Other than the things mentioned above - what made our 3 night stay here superb was the friendliness of the staff here and how helpful each and everyone of the staff we encountered eg. I rang and asked if they had ice on the premises - in two minutes they sent someone with a bucket of ice delivered to our door. We appreciate little things like that :-) We also booked the movie theatre which came with free pop corn. That was awesome!

I booked a day at the spa also, great service - loved the roman pool with steam and dry saunas, spa pool. The beauty therapist really looked after me :-)

Thank you Distinction Nugget Point for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and were really impressed. The views over the Shotover are spectacular and the amenities in the hotel are superb. A special thanks to Hanna, her welcoming manner and her customer service are outstanding and despite the fact that we turned up at the last minute to inquire about availability she did all she could to give us a great deal. We would definitely stay again!!

Room Tip: Go for the Shotover suite, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent a week at the hotel for my wife's birthday. we took our son who is 11 and we all really enjoyed it. The view from the room was stunning - we could see the jetboats on the Shotover river below and had a great view of the mountains. The room was comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming.
My wife used the spa and rated it highly, she has had a back and wrap treatment which she said rated very favourably with others she had had. We ate in the restaurant a few nights and the food was very good - and well priced for Queenstown. They also have a personal cinema which you can book and we did this once as a family. Popcorn comes with it and was really good family experience which my son particularly liked.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank George P
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our ski vacation. All was reasonable; service friendly... condition of hotel was a bit ratty. I was happy until I realised I left my winter coat (valued at over $300AUD) at this hotel, once I returned to Australia... upon asking hotel what it would cost post my coat to Australia, I was informed between $30-$80NZD... my god, I know that estimate was extreme, so I'm yet undecided. They refused to quote, meaning their estimate was a best guest and I could be out of pocket more! Not happy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family