“Beautiful decor”

Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
“Beautiful decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

First impression I love the classic styling and furniture it is so beautiful and a refreshing find with loads of character!

I only came in to use the pool and spa area and found it so peaceful and relaxing with a beautiful setting over the shotover river.

The beauty therapy rooms were also lovely and presentable with a couples massage room and a massage chair while having a pedicure! Nice

A nice distance from town as well I would imagine this would be ideal for a lovely relaxing weekend away :)

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Awesome staff, awesome facilities and very relaxing time!! highly recommended. Went with a couple of mates who all had massages I just enjoyed the spa which was great. Very professional team and everything was super clean and tidy. The prices were pretty reasonable for the amazing service and quality

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for a week and were happy we stayed there. Really I'd give this 3 1/2 as a score if I could. It is very decorative, though some of it not to our tastes. We didn't get a room with a mountain view, but the views from other rooms were spectacular. The location was great for us because we had a car to drive the 7 minutes into town, and Coronet ski field is quite close. Our first impression was that the air in the passageway seemed really stale, smelly even, but the room was okay and certainly a comfortable temperature. We were put off trying the restaurant because the pumpkin soup on the first night tasted more like salt and coriander soup, but apart from too much salt in the eggs, breakfast was lovely and had a good variety of options. I wouldn't recommend getting a packed breakfast to go for a day out though - they didn't pack what we asked for and did give us what we specifically said not to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I are on our honeymoon for 3 weeks touring through New Zealand, Whilst we are staying mainly in holiday parks, we wanted a few nights somewhere particularly nice, and we settled on the Distinction Hotel. We're really glad we did - it's a terrific hotel and we had a great time! We took advantage of the 'Romance for 2' option, which we felt was such great value that we decided to stay an extra day!

The views are nice, but it's the service that really makes sets this hotel apart. We really took advantage of everything the hotel had to offer (DVDs, room service, Wi-Fi, etc), must admit I've never bugged reception so much in my life; they probably recognised my voice on the phone by the end of it! All the staff are great, we dealt mainly with Emma and she's really exceptional, she seemed genuinely committed to making sure we enjoyed our stay.

There has been some criticism here recently about the restaurant, but I can't make sense of it. We had a lovely meal there. The food was superb and, again, the service was excellent. Only criticism would be that the variety on the menu is perhaps a little thin. Catering for room service is also excellent and the service charge is only $10.

If I could change one thing, it would be how our bags were handled. If there was an elevator available, we didn't know where it was and so we bundled our heavy bags up and down the stairs. In fairness, we were asked if we needed help with our bags, but we instinctively said that we would be fine, and then regretted that decision! If you're thinking of staying at this hotel, take them up on this offer! Doesn't detract from the 5-star rating though.

All in all, a brilliant hotel and one of the highlights of our honeymoon so far.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny L
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

PROS:
- Not being amidst the chaos of town
- You can book out the cinema room and borrow a DVD (they provide you with popcorn)
- Nice view of the Shotover river
- Friendly staff
- Great facilities (tennis courts, spa, pool, gym)
- Heated rooms

CONS:
- Upon arrival, it seemed like there were only two staff members working. They just chatted and did not offer to even hold the door open for us as we clearly struggled with all our bags
- The corridoors smelled funky
- There was an issue with our room and we were told a replacement room would be looked into, but did not hear any updates. A maintenance man came by to look at it and said he would be back - he didn't come back.
- The decor is reeeeally dated. Nursing-home dated.
- The safe in the room is pretty much just for show. Don't expect to be able to use it. The staff do however, offer a safe at reception.
- Upon arrival, the balcony area of our room was littered with beer bottle caps, cigarette butts and toe nail clippings.
- When leaving out the "please service room" sign, only our beds were made. No sheets or towels replaced, bathroom was not cleaned (the shower drain was clogged when we got there and remained so the whole time) and we were left a towel short.

Room Tip: Try to get one facing the river.
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a really difficult review. With a little investment, improved housekeeping and some little thought this could have been an excellent review despite the extremely poor restaurant. You can forgive it for one, or maybe two, of the points it could improve on but combined it starts to add up to being detrimental. However, it does have some fantastic things going for it so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Context - a two night stay taking advantage of the "romance package"

First impressions - the grounds looked a little dog-eared but it was winter and I doubt many people are in Queenstown to play tennis on a hotel court. I know we certainly weren't! The hotel inside is quite grand with absolutely fantastic views over the Shotover river. The customer service was fantastic particularly from Kirsty, Emma and a guy in a suit I didn't catch the name of. The room was very spacious and whilst some earlier reviews note some interior décor issues we didn't note anything of particular concern - yes a few chips and cracks but it was hardly going to detract from the room and actually in keeping with the charm this place has.

Other big plus points:

- The Spa. This is complimentary between 6:30am and 10am and again 6pm to 10pm and features a Roman Bath (didn't use but looked impressive), small pool (could be warmer but nothing too concerning), a jacuzzi (not that vigorous but again pleasant), steam room (sufficiently hot and humid!) and a sauna (didn't use). Not quite sure if I would pay the listed price of $75 to use it if that was a per-person price (but worth checking). We also had a couples massage which was provided by Jana and another (sorry forgot name). The service was top-notch and massage very good. We should have booked another - would highly recommend.

- Some good facilities such as movie room and DVD library.

Niggly things, certainly not deal breakers and for us would be in the "nice to have" category:

- would have preferred a genuine king bed rather than two beds pushed together (ironic when staying on the romance package!)
- housekeeping wasn't up to scratch for a hotel in this category (I presume it markets itself as a premium property). Whilst I am all for the green credentials so do not expect bedding and towels to be changed every day I would expect the towels to be refolded or rehung more neatly than our attempt, empty toilet roll to be removed and replenished, the bins being pushed back under the desk rather than being left in the middle of the room after they had been emptied and my partners ashtray on the balcony to be emptied. This just came across as lazy. Not enough to complain about on its own particularly given the excellent front of house service - I'm sure it would have been rectified if I had mentioned it - but premium hotels don't make this mistake.

The worst:

- The restaurant. We made the decision to eat in the restaurant on our final night rather than the 5km drive or taxi-ride into Queenstown due to our early departure for the flight the following day. This was the worst decision we made all holiday and the first time we have ever had to send food back to the kitchen. We eat out regularly and are comfortable eating in pubs to Michelin starred restaurants so we like to think we have a relatively decent palate and know what is good and what isn't. The lack of any quality surprised me a little as there were some earlier reviews which commented favourably on the food although alarm bells should have sounded when there were only other hotel guests in the restaurant on a Friday night.

The steak was ordered medium rare which turned out to be more of the blue variety. Apart from being sealed it was actually raw and cold. The lamb was overly salty but edible given the lack of other options and the rest of the dish was bland. It was a very dated meal. We had to send the steak back. It came back after I had finished my meal (so effectively the dining experience is ruined at that point) and the chef made quite a basic mistake in not letting the meat rest after it had now been cooked with the result being the sauce and garnishes now swimming in blood. It got sent back and we told them not to bother bringing it back. The deserts were average - again edible but I wouldn't expect large whole nuts in the Brownies.

Whilst the waitresses were very apologetic despite it not being their fault and offered us free coffee or cocktails, which we declined given our early departure I had to ask what else they were going to knock off the bill other than the steak and it was disappointing to be told nothing. They were fairly willing to speak to the front of house manager at my suggestion who then offered to knock off a free desert and then a second when I pushed back. Again, quite disappointed to have to ask given the whole dining experience was pretty poor and the only thing pleasant and I was happy to pay for was the wine which as everyone knows is suitably marked up as it is. That said they complied with my request (granted the two cheapest items on the bill - approximately $25). However given the front of house staff had provided excellent service throughout our stay I wasn't going to argue for the sake of a few more dollars as that would have ruined the evening further for everyone.

So would I stay here again? I would if the value was right, stayed in a room overlooking the river again, was going to use the Spa facilities and I didn't need to stay in the restaurant. I believe I am a balanced reviewer and don't just jump onto the negativities and go "terrible" so it is a shame that the negativity about the restaurant has to reduce the rating from Very Good to Average. However, if that service is going to be offered and promoted on check-in then it needs to be better.

Room Tip: An absolute must is a river view - it will be worth the extra dollars. If you struggle with heavy su...
Brisbane Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days. The staff were so helpful, friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The movie room is a great idea and very relaxing. The rooms are big and comfortable. Apart from the thin walls and lack of TV channels available we were pleased with the amenities in the room. The heated bathroom floors were awesome. We must recommend the Distinction Burger it was the first meal we had in the restaurant and over our stay and we were so impressed we had these most nights that we ate in. The fish and chips was huge and very filling. The gym is very clean and has adequate equipment. The day spa was awesome, after a day of skiing there is no better spot to go and relax. You have the hot tub, sauna, steam room and heated pool (not to hot, which made it refreshing to dip into after the hot tub or steam room).

Room Tip: Choose the top floor to avoid the noises of those in the upper floors.