This is a nice enough hotel - as previous reviewers have mentioned, nicely decorated and spacious rooms. The location is a little out of town (about a 5 minute drive) but personally I prefer that and it's in a beautiful setting overlooking the river. Ok, so why only 3 stars? Well, this hotel lacks the little extras you expect when you book a luxury boutique hotel! My complaints are...
1.) Breakfast, in my opinion, was below average. When I purchase a 'bed and breakfast' room rate I expect just that - in this case it was only breakfast buffet available and the menu was extra. Most frustrating of all being the coffee, which was average filter coffee served in tiny little cups. Decent coffee off the menu was $4.50 extra! The toaster is from the dark ages and waiting 10 minutes every morning for my bread to brown grew old quite quickly. Also the fruit was tinned rather than fresh. These maybe seen as minor things but when you book a 'luxury boutique hotel' I guess you do expect a little more.
2.) Room - When we first arrived to our room, there was a pair of DVT stockings in one of the draws in the room. These, I presume, belonged to the previous guest (and no older I hope!), which leaves me concerned about the standard of cleaning at the hotel.
3.) Restaurant - biggest disappointment of all! The service was disappointing to say the least. The young man that served us asked my husband four times which beer he’d ordered (it was off the drinks menu) before finally coming to the conclusion that they didn’t have it. He was fairly polite but practically dropped the plates in front of us when serving. The starter was tasty and came out promptly. However, we then waited an hour for our main course to arrive. During this time no one came over to explain or apologise. Once the meals did arrive they were disappointingly average. Although edible, my salmon was rather bland and my husband's filet steak was completely overdone. Definitely not what I was expecting for an 'al e carte' meal.
4.) The Spa - Although very pleasant and friendly to myself during my treatments on the Sunday – the staff were rude to my husband when he used the showers and sauna in there. He was asked rather sharply to turn off the shower and to have respect for the guests who were going to be using the facilities. This seemed very unfair as he too was a paying guest and entitled to use all the facilities.
I voiced all my complaints on check-out but the receptionist was uninterested and advised me to write into the manager which I have already done.
Overall, it’s an average hotel presenting itself as boutique. If you get an internet bargain it’s probably worth a stay – don’t pay full whack though or you’ll be sorely disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the base of Coronet Peak and overlooking the stunning Shotover River, Nugget Point Hotel is the ultimate boutique hotel in Queenstown, just a stone's throw away from shops, restaurants, bars and nightlife of central Queenstown. To complete the perfect picture, Nugget Point is just 10 minutes by car or public transport to Coronet Peak Ski Area for that very special winter getaway. The hotel boasts 36 spacious boutique rooms, accommodating up to 74 guests, and all rooms have an open plan bedroom and lounge area, ensuite bathroom, and private balcony or patio. Nugget Point Hotel offers a wide range of facilities for our discerning guests. Unwind at The Spa at Nugget Point for a truly luxurious escape, indulge in beauty and massage treatments in our beautiful spa which resembles a modern version of Roman baths whilst taking in the views of the surrounding mountain ranges and Shotover River. Then relax in the Shotover Lounge Bar for a refreshing drink or enjoy an exquisite dining experience in Birches Restaurant surrounded by awe inspiring views of the rugged Queenstown landscape. Take advantage of our Home Theatre to enjoy a unique movie experience, with your own private viewing. For the more active guest, there is a well-equipped gym, or challenge your companions to a game of tennis or squash on a private court, and avail yourself of our drying room after an enjoyable day on the ski field. Bookings necessary for these facilities and they are subject to availability at the time of booking. Nugget Point Hotel is also the perfect venue for small conference retreats and incentive groups with our luxury boardroom catering for up to 30 people, with all the modern conveniences and with breakaway rooms available during the period of the conference. For each of our guests there is something special that appeals. It may be the prospect of stretching out in a spa bath with a glass of champagne at the end of the day, or a gourmet meal in our Birches Restaurant admiring the views, or simply curled up on a couch in front of an open fire in our lounge bar with your favourite bottle of wine. One thing's for sure, at Nugget Point we've got the mix just right. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Queenstown, Nugget Point Boutique Hotel Queenstown
- Distinction Queenstown, Nugget Point Boutique Hotel And Spa
- Nugget Point Boutique Resort
- Nugget Point Boutique Queenstown