“Dont stay at the mercure, book elsewhere in queenstown”

Mercure Resort Queenstown
Ranked #27 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Terrible stay. This was supposed to be our getaway stay in new zealand but mercure messed up our booking from the start. Booked a king room (got a double), booked breakfast as an extra (mercure website never processed payment for this so it wasnt included). The room was "refurbished" yet the old doors had been painted and the refurb had been done cheaply. The spa was broken, the sauna set off the fire alarm as it was broken and heated up without cutting out. Location not clear on the website (its a bus ride away from queenstown and set on a steep hill). Stairwell had broken rail, lift was broken. Reception staff did not comunicate with each shift which lead to poor communication and just added to the frustration. One girl in particular on reception had a terrible attitude. I would never stay here again and will deter all our friends from doing so. Book elsewhere people!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mark c

Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed here for two nights, got a good deal and was upgraded to a lakeview room which was amazing. The hotel was a little old but it had a great atmosphere AND DID I MENTION THE AMAZING VIEWS. Its not right in close to town but if you have a car its only like 3 minutes away. The spa was broken so the staff sent us next door to another lodge which had an amazing spa with a beautiful view. Great hotel if going to go sking.
One night we didnt want to leave the hotel so we ate diner upstairs in the bar area in front of the fire. Alot of people did the same as it was reasonaly priced. The resturant had amazing views however we didnt have breakfast as it would have cost $65 which we thought wasnt worth it. If going to book try and get breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank melxxSydney
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We got a super cheap deal in a very quiet time of the year, $146 in total for two nights. There were few people in the hotel and we were upgraded to a lake front view room, this was a very nice touch. The room was clean, we had two big beds which worked out well as my beloved had a cold. But the hotel in general is just very average, everything was nice, ok, average. Nothing stood out. The 11am check was very nice as most hotles are 10am.

Even though few people in the hotel we could hear people through the walls, not nice

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ApplecNZ
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Thankfully we were upgraded to a Lakeview room, and I must say that the views are hard to believe, extremely beatiful! However the corridors smelled a bit. The staff was nice and helpful, and dinner at the restaurant was OK

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I booked this hotel through Wotif, and it was an autumn special of $99 per night including breakfast. The hotel was much further out of town than I expected, although it probably is only a 15 minute walk into town, but when it's 4 degrees outside, it's hard to get motivated to walk that far. Fortunately for us we had a rental car, so it wasn't an issue, and the yellow Connextion (spl) bus comes past every 20 minutes or so.

We were given a room overlooking the pool - I was a bit peeved at this because we had booked for five nights and as my husband is an Accor member, I really expected a room with a lake view though when booking on Wotif, I think it stated that they were pool view rooms. The hotel wasn't busy though and I know (from speaking to other guests) they had lake view rooms available.

The room was pretty standard but had 2 double beds which was a surprise, I didn't think hotels had double beds anymore! The first night was terrible, the bed was awful and we had a really uncomfortable night but agreed to try the other bed the next night, which we did and it was ok, but small. We did discuss asking to change rooms but decided the other bed was ok. The other issue with the room was the heating. Each room has it's own heating control and is thermostatically controlled, but when you leave the room, the thermostat drops really low to about 10 degrees, so when you return to the room, (after being out in the freezing cold!) you actually walk into a cold room. It didn't take long for the temperatue to come up, but it would have been nice at this time of the year to walk back into a warm room.

We had breakfast each morning in the dining room, some mornings there was cooked buffet available, other mornings you had to request a cooked breakfast. Standard continental breakfast fare also available. The service was a bit hit and miss, staff seemed to be scarce.

On check out we mentioned the uncomfortable bed and receptionist said we should have mentioned it earlier and they would have changed our room. We returned a couple of hours later due to the airport being closed due to fog, same receptionist and she gave us a lovely lake view room at the same $99 rate.

We didn't get to experience the restaurant but spoke to other guests who had and they said the food was lovely. They have a very large guest laundry easy to use coin operated and soap powder provided with several washing machines and dryers, obviously well geared up for the ski season.

Overall, we probably would stay again, because it was a good rate but it certainly isn't the best Mecure we've stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank z1bby
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I checked in here on the evening of May 4. I booked through Wotif.com and was promised in the description of the room a with "stunning views" - this was in the description of the room and in my confirmation. Also, according to the description the hotel was in a "fabulous location" - I booked the room expecting a lakeview room.

When I checked in the man working the front desk told me I was not entitled to a lakeview room and gave me a gardenview room. I told him what the description of the room was and he told me he didn't care. He told me I had to BUY internet access so I could show him my e mail confirmation stating this and gave me my room key. I bought the access and took the confirmation back to the front desk. The confirmation CLEARLY states the room has "stunning views" - not the wall view I had with the gardenview room. He got his manager and his manager basically called me an idiot, told me that even though my confirmation stated this as part of the view I "couldn't read" and "should pay more attention to what I was booking"!!! I could NOT believe how RUDE this guy was. He treated me as if I were a complete idiot when I showed him the confirmation and he read the exact description of the room! (I did not point out that I am a lawyer who graduated from a top law school and it is my JOB to read carefully). Though he eventually gave me a lakeview room (which is what I booked!) he told me over and over that I had not read the confirmation closely enough (which made no sense since nowhere did it state the room was a gardenview room and only stated the room had "stunning views") and implied over and over that I was an idiot. I have traveled around the world in stayed in hundreds of hotels and have NEVER EVER been treated so poorly.

As to the location, it stinks quite frankly. About a 10 minute drive to town. No way you could walk this so forget going out drinking at dinner or the bar later that evening, they really have you stuck there if you want a drink.

Rooms were pretty basic, nothing great. The lakeview room did have a beautiful location, though it was stuck in a somewhat smelly basement of the hotel.

For the money I recommend you stay elsewhere. I stayed at the Novotel and it is in a wonderful location, with beautiful rooms. Go there and AVOID this place, its RUDE STAFF and TERRIBLE LOCATION.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EnjoyLife79
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We really enjoyed our stays at this hotel. We came and went a few times during Feb/March 2009 and always felt that the staff were welcoming and very helpful. The rooms are a bit varied - some have obviously been renovated and others not. The renovated ones are really nice and the others are still okay. We were upgraded to a lake view room on each of the four stays we had here - and what a view it is! Absolutely beautiful! The restaurant also has great lake views and the food is good. The hotel has plenty of free parking and if you don't want to drive into town a bus pulls into the hotel driveway a couple of times every hour. It's probably a bit far to walk into town unless you are fit! But it would be a lovely walk along the lake edge. We went off on a couple of walks while we were staying here (one for 5 days and another for 3) and the hotel was happy to both store our luggage and let us leave our car in the carpark which was a real bonus! We would definitely return here next time we are in Queenstown.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple