“a lovely stay in Queenstown”

Heritage Queenstown
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We spent two nights at the Heritage Hotel (the Wotif mystery deal) during our stay in Queenstown. It's a bit out of the city centre, but is a lovely hotel up on a hill overlooking the lake. There is a free shuttle bus that goes into the city (every 10 min, I think).
When we arrived, the room was configured with two single beds instead of the double bed we requested. We called the front desk to sort it out, and they immediately sent a staff member to rearrange the bed (the two beds zip together to make a double bed).
We ordered dinner from room service one night. The menu is rather limited, but the prices are reasonable. The hamburger was great, but the Cesar salad was quite small (for the price), and the Asian noodle dish my partner ordered was bland and tasted as if it came out of a package--disappointing.
The hotel has parking, but it is rather limited (underground and a few outdoor spaces) considering the number of guestrooms.
We were overall very pleased with our stay, minus the few blips. It was an excellent value, and a lovely mystery treat.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Heritage Queenstown

Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage in February 2009 for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon trip in New Zealand. We splurged a bit by paying an extra 100 dollars to stay in a room overlooking Lake Wakatipu (?spelling). Very nice spacious hotel room with in-room washer/dryer (I will suggest to use the common washer/dryer unit in the hotel as they can carry larger loads) and kitchen area. The hotel breakfast full buffet is a plus (about $14 USD per person) but worth it (yummy). Lots of parking space for guests either above or underground. The pool was also decent - a bit cold to use even in February which is supposedly summer there. Has a small exercise room, a 10 person jacuzzi, and a steam room. The only negative are the mosquitoes in the area - some which can be found in the room hovering near the windows. But you can ask housekeeping to clean up the bugs in the corner window. A big plus of the hotel is that they offer free shuttle service into town which is about 20 to 30 minutes walk.

Our excursions:
My husband went skydiving with N-Zone which he rated 10/10.
Whitewater rafting on the Shotover River with Queenstown rafting - awesome!
Day trip to Milford Sound with Real Journey - professional company that really takes you out to the beautiful fiords on a very comfortable bus and medium-sized boat.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SebaMed
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for one night on my recent trip to Queenstown. I booked it through wotif.com as a mystery hotel.

The hotel is full of character in terms of furnishings and design. It is all very posh and old English style. The rooms are lovely with a very comfortable bed and very, very clean. My room had a balcony with views of the lake and it was very, very quiet. I had a completely undisturbed sleep and could not hear other hotel guests.

I thought the service was excellent. After a couple of hours in the room I still felt cold so I phoned reception to let them know. Literally, within 2 minutes a staff member was at my room to come and see if the heater was working properly. It was, but I still felt cold so they offered to put another heater in my room and provide another blanket. The staff member went to get the heater and blanket, and again, within two minutes he was back. So, in all, the entire problem was solved well within 10 minutes, which I think is outstanding. The young lady at reception when I checked in and out was also very lovely and welcoming.

I loved my stay at the Heritage and it would be my choice if I were to ever return to Queenstown.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed here after a stuff up with our original booking at another hotel. We arrived in Queenstown to find our prepaid booking did not exist and the hotel was full, so we got onto wotif and and found the Heritage at a fabulous price! It had a lovely view of the surroundings and the unit itself was very nice. Loved the gas fire which created a lovely ambience to the living area. Used the washing machine and drier to do a weeks worth of washing for a family of 6 and had no problems. Bathrooms had underfloor heating. Beds were lovely and comfy. It really had everything we needed, even parking for our Kea camper! We would have stayed for longer if we could have! Breakfast was great in the restaurant and it was included in our rate, although it was very busy each morning and we had to wait 10 minutes or so to get a table to fit all of us. Great place, would stay again if we return to Queenstown (and I would love to!)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed here in September school holidays with the kids ( 8 & 10 ) Must have been our lucky day after getting an upgrade on our rental car at the airport we also recieved an upgrade on our accommodation having paid for a 2 brm unit in the hotel we were sent across the road to one of their awesome 3 brm villas. These villas are stunning, actually more like a house than a hotel, with 3 large bedrooms, 2 beautiful bathrooms and a huge living area with open flame gas fire, modern kitchen and large flatscreen tv, dvd stereo etc. Our week in Queenstown was hampered a little by foul weather but this hotel more than made up for it ! Facilities / staff in the main hotel were also great, breakfast each morning was excellent, and the hotel provides free transport into Queenstown on the local bus service. Would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We had initially booked to stay at the Heritage for 2 Nights at the end of August 2008. We got a great rate of $179 incl. breakfast on their website. Our airline lost our luggage and we ended up having to stay for 4 nights and the Heritage gave us the same great rate. We booked a twin room and our room had two double beds and was quite spacious. We also had a balcony. The hotel is located around a 15 min walk from the town which isn't a huge distance and its a really nice walk. There is also a free shuttle bus which stops outside the hotel and takes you into own. The breakfast was really nice. It was a buffet with a great selection to choose from. There is also car parking at no extra cost. This is a really nice, comfortable hotel and we found the staff to be very helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2009

The heritage, although not walking distance from the sights and centers of attraction, offers a free shuttle every 30 minutes to the same. The view of the lake is brilliant and every morning and evening ther is so much to do that even a month would be well spent at the hotel and Queenstown. The nature of Queenstown is that it has something to offer everyone, adventure, romance, great wining and dining, and everything you can think of and then some. The staff at all the Heritage hotels are very well informed and the concierge will make your trip worth your while, just take their advice as Gospel

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)