“Fantastic”

Heritage Queenstown
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed August 27, 2008

I arrived at the Heritage on a bright Friday afternoon to a lovely cheerful recepection. The staff were really friendly and the room I had was really nice, lots of storage, huge bed, balcony and great power shower in the bathroom! Housekeeping came the two mornings and changed towels and all usual cleaning. The room did look over into the restaurant but you could glimpse the mountain peaks!
Underdround parking was an added bonus. The Heritage is a 5-10 minute drive along the lake and up a hill out of Queenstown town which I loved, very quite and peaceful.
I had two excellent dinners in the restaurant there and just as yummy breakfasts.
Reception were very helpful with excusions I wanted to do.
Really can not fault the Heritage and def worth a visit if your after a chilled out weekend in comfort!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Heritage Queenstown

Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed there for 3 nights during our honeymoon in early December 2006. We wanted to avoid a big hotel with a large main building with a noisy lobby, so this was actually what we had expected. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was rich. We had a nice room with excellent lake view (actually we had requested it. The rooms are not huge, but spacious enough for a comfortable stay. We would definitely reccommend it and would want to stay again in case we visit again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at the Heritage. Alerted by a negative review on this website we asked for a non-smoking room which we got. We had a connecting room, but luckily as it was a quiet time of year we didn't have anyone next to us. We had a deluxe room with a lakeside view and it was magnificent. The view looked different every day and we could see the lake and mountains from our bed. The bathroom is fantastic - not too small, and the room was a good size as well. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. We found the walk to town easy and the free bus was very convenient - it was easy to get to and from the hotel. We did have a meal in the restaurant one night, which was disappointing as it looked great but was tasteless. However, as we didn't want to go into town anyway that night it was fine.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Maybe I was swayed by the beauty of Queenstown, by the native ducks on our terrace, by the early snowfalls blanketing the Remarkables straight opposite our condo, or was it just the comfort of the 3 bedroom villa. I don't know, but we had an absolutely wonderful stay.

I can't believe that I have reached the age of 44, been skiing for 38 years and never been to Queenstown. Even in autumn the place has a very special feel. The Heritage was a terrific base for a family of 5. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We stayed at the Heritage Hotel in Queenstown for our 1 year anniversary. We arrived in 1 September which was coming up towards the end of the ski season. However, there was still a little snow on the mountains so we were happy.

The Heritage is located about a 10 minute walk from the main streets of Queenstown, up a quite steep hill. If you are wanting a lovely view and to be slightly away from the "Party Vibe" of Queenstown, then this would be a good hotel for you. We had a car so the walk wasn't a problem There is a shuttle bus which goes into town - reception can give you free tickets for this.

The Hotel Reception is very well decorated, with a stone driveway and stone and wood reception area. The Hotel is split into three wings in a half hexagon shape, with the reception and restaurant in the middle. We were in the Waterfall wing, which was tucked into the hillside on the right of the reception area and facing directly out to the Lake and the Remarkables.

We had a suite on the top floor, which was reached by getting the elevator, and then walking up a short flight of stairs. There is mood lighting, and subtle decorating. Felt like a chalet.

Our room was large, with the bathroom on the left as you walk in, bed to the right, large walk in wardrove area on the far left and then a small balcony straight out the front. The balcony is nice, but it was too cold to go out and sit there, however in summer it would be really lovely.

The bed was comfortable, however my pillow case had a few hairs on it (it was clean, just sometimes the hairs get stuck in the material). So I called housekeeping, and they brought another one straight up, and were apologetic and very polite about it all. The bathroom was lovely, with a bath and shower and it's a good size.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help you find things.

The hotel restaurant was also lovely, with a seperate area to sit in front of the fire and have a drink. There is also a jar of marshmellows and roasting sticks which was a lovely touch.

As for Queenstown itself, it's a lovely place. It's very touristy and seems to be full of shops selling the same old stuff (hats, caps and various fluffy animals). It reminded us a lot of Airlie Beach in Australia, just in an alpine setting.

We set out for some skiing at both the Remarkables and Coronet Peak. Day one - The Remarkables. We had a small hire car (Mitsubishi Lancer 4 door). The drive takes 45 minutes and the road is steep, curvy, slippery and downright bloody scary. However, I felt much safer in our small car on those tight corners that I would have on the big buses trying to squeeze along the road. I would recommend hiring a 4wd if you think you would be freaked out by the driving conditions (especially with fresh snow).

The first day was good - snow wasn't fresh so had gone very icy and slippery. The 'Beginner" slope was bloody difficult and resulted in a number of crash landings for both me and my husband. We stuck to the training slope, which was still a little steep! The food and service at the lodge they have there was wonderful (try the SnoBurgers - bacon, egg and hashbrown with BBQ sauce - awesome!).

That night, the snow came! It snowed over 25cm and the snow level came down the mountains so far (see photos), so we went back up the second day and it was amazing! Gorgeous fresh powder and clean crisp day. It was just wonderful.

On the third day we did a helicopter flight to Milford Sound which I can recommend to anyone that can afford it. It was the most amazing thing I have ever done - we even got to stop on top of a 6000ft glacier in the middle of the Southern Alps - mindblowing.

Milford Sound was lovely, though a 1.5 hour long trip with a boatful of tourists taking photos every second gets a little tiring. Scenery is beautiful though and if you can get your focus away from the tourists you will appreciate the beauty of the place. I recommend getting a tour package that includes lunch. Gets VERY cold so rug up.

On the way back we flew on a small plane, which was scarier than the helicopter, but the scenery again was mindblowing.

That night we went to one of the two casinos. Both are quite small, but the one near the lake was very small, with only 1 blackjack table open. The other one in the very centre of town was a lot better with more options.

There are plenty of great places to eat in town. We went to a beer brewery/restaurant on one of the streets off the main strip (Monty's or something like that?) which did great food and beer, with great atmosphere.

If you want the best burger of your life, go to Fergburger - the most delicious burger anywhere! Fresh ingredients, beautiful sauces, great price!

The next day was a shopping and relax day, which is easy in Queenstown. We also did a great boat ride across the lake on the TSS Earnslaw. I would highly recommend it as the views are spectacular (see pics).

The next day we decided to go to Coronet Peak. The road is sealed the whole way up to the top (it's not as high as the Remarkables) but had plenty of snow from the dumping a few nights earlier. The training slope was a lot easier and my husband found it a lot better to get used to the skiing thing (he has a bad right leg due to DVT so struggled a bit) and then just before lunch we decided to have 1 go at the beginner slope, which from the training slope looked nice and easy.

He fell over around the first corner, then got up and kept going. He fell over again and broke his darn leg! He ended up being transported to Invercargill (2.5hr drive to the south) for surgery. I had to go back to the hotel, pack everything up and then leave in the morning.

The hotel staff were so sympathetic and so helpful. I was quite upset and stressing out a little and they really helped to calm me down. They found me maps of where I had to go, helped me to get everything from my room into my car, and offered to pass on any messages to me after I had left.

Over, the holiday was a bit of a nightmare after that.

But the Heritage Hoel and Queenstown were amazing places. The Heritage Hotel was just what I imagined for a beautiful, luxurious (but not over the top) ski holiday.

I would recommend this hotel for people who don't mind staying 5 minutes from town, and who want to stay in a traditional ski hotel. Young professionals and middle aged travellers would appreciate this hotel's style, amenities, classy rooms and friendly, professional service.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kfraser82
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We had previously had excellent stays at other Heritage Hotels but this one let them down badly.

We were only in Queenstown for a short stay, so it would have been optimal to lodge 'downtown', so you could just wander in and out of the hotel at whim. Unfortunately, the Heritage is located way out of town and you either have a long walk or have to wait for a free bus, which isn't very acceptable after a night out, when you have to stand in the freezing cold at the bus stop (or pay for a cab).

I would suggest you check the location on a map before you book.

A relatively small percentage of rooms have a lake view and many face the busy, hilly road which has traffic noise. I am sure there are equally good (if not better) hotels more centrally located in Queenstown.

We will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank 92,075
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Booked through ski max - very cheap snowboard package deal.
Was expecting the worst but Heritage was actually very modern, quite stylish, and the rooms, service and facilities were all top notch. Not fantastic but certainly hearty breakfast went down well also.

We had one of those rooms with adjoining room doors, (probably due to package) so this was probably the cause of the issue, but, VERY noisy. Woken up at 2 am by the kiwi family in next room having a physical domestic. Security was called. No rest was had.
2nd night was very peaceful, until drunken party dudes rocked in at about 2 am again and seemed to be trying to re-enact some kind of mosh in the neighbouring bathroom.

All in all though very good, make use of the dry room for all your snow gear, you can catch easy free bus into town at night, (can NEVER find it on way back but taxi is like $5.00) and also pretty cool heated spa, cold water pool, and sauna, mix up all three after the slopes and it will fix all your pains!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple