“Almost perfect!!”

Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Tairua, New Zealand
“Almost perfect!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My Fiance and I stayed for 7 nights in the Waterfall wing of the Heritage hotel in Queenstown.
The room was beautfiull, there was a fabulously stocked Mini bar with loads of different drinks and some snacks, although they were all priced through the roof! so we didn't end up drinking/eating from the Mini bar for that reason.
The room itself in my opinion, and the TV set up, was much better than the Hilton Hotel in Auckland City!
We didn't have a very good view from our deck which was a little disappointing, I'm not sure why they put us at the back of the building with only trees in our face for a view, when there were lots of spare rooms at the front which faced the Lake - we would have much preferred that.
Anyway the best part about this Hotel is the 24 hour room service! There are about 4 different menus to choose from, all meals able to be delivered to your room, at any time day or night, even 3am if you wish! Or you can eat downstairs at the Restaurant which without a doubt was basicly perfect the food was great, although the dishes weren't huge the food was still lovely. The breakfast Buffet was our favourite, with every type of food for breakfast you can think of, and eat as much as you like! All the staff, waiters & waitresses were so friendly, helpfull and very good at their jobs! They also did daily House keeping, made our bed etc and replaced whatever kitchen/bathroom items we had used which I thought was fantastic, coming home to a nice tidy room each day was lovely. What I didn't like was we had no Microwave in our room which was very annoying! For a flash hotel such as this, with every other service available to us, we had no microwave! The bed was also odd, it was a king bed and one side was soft, the other hard as a rock! we left at the end of our 7 day trip with very sore backs.
Another thing that annoyed me was we only had two pillows, although we didn't ask for more, I think having a couple extra available, if not on the bed, in the cupboard for us to use if we wanted to would have been really great and polite?
A few other great things were the heated pool, spa, gym and laundry facilities available to use whenever we liked were really fantastic!
I would definitely recommend this Hotel to my friends and family for a very Luxurious stay :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view or you may be shoved right at the back with nothing to look at from your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna S, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Good afternoon della h

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Heritage Hotel in Queenstown.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to the room you were given, please note we have a variety of different rooms on offer, some which have views and some which have kitchenettes including microwaves; these come at a slightly higher rate. Please do not hesitate to ask our reservations team when you are booking your next stay for these options.

Donna Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I can't believe there is anything but positive reviews about this hotel. It was without fault, just perfect. My daughter and I stayed here for 5 nights in June 2013 and are looking forward to returning next year. The hotel is a five minute drive/bus trip from town so just far enough out of town to not hear/see any of the nightlife which I appreciate and the bus stops right outside the door. The staff at this hotel are amazing and really good at what they do. We were acknowledged everywhere we went and provided with exceptional service on all occasions. I found the room to be very comfortable, clean and modern with all the amenities you'd want or expect. If I had to come up with a any improvements for this hotel, I would say only the food. It was all good, nothing to complain about but just nothing special. All in all, I love this hotel and would highly recommend it to both couples and family. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bride1
Donna S, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Good afternoon Bride1

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to the menu, I will ensure the Executive Chef is made aware of your feedback. Thank you again for the feedback on this.

Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had the most fabulous time at the Hertitage, the staff were more than amazing and so helpful, the room was gorgeous along with the views and the breakfast was scrummy!!!! I wouldn't hesitate to return there and highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: the lake view - awesome
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Donna H

Thank you for taking the time to offer your fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us at the Heritage Hotel in Queenstown.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure your comments are passed onto everyone on the team.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although a little too far from the town centre for an easy walk (especially if it is raining as was during our stay) the hotel is located right on the lake and the views are great. Communal rooms (reception, bar, dining room) are nothing special but the welcome from the staff is good and they are extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was of a very good size and the facilities were good, including a nice balcony.
One word of warning about parking in the basement, places are scarce and tight for large cars and there is no porter service to help with luggae, you can face a long walk with your cases.
Sadly breakfast was a negative. Food quality was poor and replacement helpings were not produced as items ran out. A big blot on what was otherwise a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: A lakeside view is a must, some rooms don't offer this.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vinay B
Good afternoon Vinay B

It is great you generally enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to breakfast it was disappointing that you had a poor experience. Thank you again for the feedback, I will ensure the F&B team are made aware of your feedback with regards to the food quality. We have been working to this with some changers being made already this month. If you have any suggestions I would most welcome these please email me directly on donnas@heritagehotels.co.nz.

I am happy to advise that we are currently in the final stage of an upgrade of the restaurant/bar area. This will start in late September.

With regards to Porters service, we always have Porters on shift to assist where required. My apologies for not being offered this service, I will speak to the Front Office team and remind them of the importances of this.

Burwood
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights in Villa No. 14 from 16-20 June 2013. Whilst the view was spectacular, the amenities left a lot to be desired. Two TV's were analogue and the digital reception skewed whatever we watched. The bed, beautifully presented online, had a concrete feeling mattress (old inner spring) with an electric blanket that was a double bed size and had a plastic disc that was under my shoulder each night. The only way to not lie on it was to forgo 18 inches of bed. This meant we lost the king size advantage of the bed. There were no blankets in the cupboard in the bedroom and it was below 0 degrees at night. The pillows were old and very flat and offered no support at all. The towels were thin and rough.

Whilst the staff were friendly and responsive to any requests, I was told at check out that the Villa was not owned by Heritage and that they only managed the property. We felt that this advice after paying $415 a night for the privilege of a Villa was misleading and inequitable with the comfort afforded a less expensive room at the motel, including new televisions and new beds. We will not return and would not recommend the Villas to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Villas.
1 Thank Maureen W
Good afternoon Maureen W

It is very disappointing to read about your experience with us. We have taken on your feed back from your stay in the Villas.

I apologies for this experience at this is not acceptable. I do hope we can welcome you back to the property in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on a trip around the South Island. We arrived around 1pm and were able to check in straight away however when we got to our room it was still being cleaned. Reception were extremely apologetic and promptly put us into a new room. Atfer that we had a very comfortable stay. The room was big enough and very cosy. It was constantly warm which was good considering it was so cold and wet outside. On the Saturday night carparks were a little hard to find however, we still managed to get one near our room. It might be a different story during very busy periods as there didn't seem to be a lot of carparks. We ate dinner at the hotel one night and were very happy with our meals and drinks
All the staff we dealt with during our stay were friendly and helpful. Wifi was accessible in our room for a small fee. Location is not too bad - small walk into town down the hill (coming back is the problem)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna S, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Good afternoon rachagane

My apologies for the confusion at check in and I am happy to hear this was resolved. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. With regard to car park availability, we do have limited parking space on the property, however, there is further two parking areas across the road from the hotel available for use.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in a Forest View Villa with family for 10 days during the Winter Festival Week in Queenstown and the start of a great ski season (ie Very busy!). From start to finish we had the most INCREDIBLE time! Due to weather, we weren't able to make it to our first nights accommodation in Mt Cook so we called ahead to the Heritage to see if we could extend our stay to begin a day earlier - a very short 2 minute conversation was a 'Yes, we'll have the villa ready for you in 10 minutes'! Fabulous :)

The drive up itself is breathtaking and only a minute or two from town. The hotel itself is beautiful and very inviting. The staff were helpful, quick and efficient at the front desk and were more than happy to organise a restaurant booking in town for us for that night. Within minutes of arriving we had our keys, directions, maps and reservation for dinner that night. When we arrived at the villa, the staff had been in to turn on the fireplace to start warming the place up (because it was freezing!) A beautiful touch.

The villa we were in (No. 36) was perfect - it was a forest view villa but still had a view of the lake and snow capped mountains from the garden and balconies. We loved this villa because it was the furtherest from the road and backed onto the forest - a great spot for some hiking (and a waterfall!) - really quiet, secluded and private.

The villa itself was beautiful! Modern and open kitchen (complete with dishwasher, big fridge, oven ,microwave, cooktop) fireplace in lounge and multiple heaters downstairs and upstairs. The garage came in handy to store the car and our ski gear. Living areas were more than comfortable and spacious. Upstairs, the master bedroom had a king sized bed (the best sleep in a strange bed I've had in all my years of travelling) and a beautiful ensuite bathroom with underfloor heating, big shower and a great bath. Ample space to move around with suitcases etc.

The other two bedrooms were two singles and a double bed, both really comfortable and large (perfect for kids or guests). The main bathroom also had underfloor heating and a big shower.

Dinner in the hotels restaurant was fabulous, as was breakfast, and service came with a smile. We also had use of all the hotels amenities, (Free WiFi for our villa, printing etc, as well as use of the gym, sauna, pool, spa, library, DVD library, etc) which we used daily.

The morning after our first night we received a phone call from the duty manager to make sure that everything was suitable and that we were comfortable - service!

I would thoroughly recommend the Forest View Villa's at the Heritage Hotel - one of the best hotel experiences I've had in years of travelling! Thanks Heritage.

Room Tip: Tip - get one of the Forest View Villas as far back as possible (Ours was the last one 36 - perfect...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna S, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Good afternoon Elise G

Thank you for taking the time to offer your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at the Heritage Hotel in Queenstown.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay had such a wondeful time with us, I will ensure your comments are passed onto everyone in the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.