“Good hotel up the hill”

Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good hotel up the hill”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel in the forrest wing. food is good, not too fatty, quite healthy. there is an outside swimming pool. i was surprised to find out that there was no air-conditioning. I had to open both windows during the night, but it was not enough. However, there is a heater inside. If you are planning to visit it in summer, be prepared for hot rooms.
mini bar is available, bathroom has shampoo, conditioner and body cream (do not forget to take shower gel). If you are going to the city and not taking taxi back, be prepared to walk up the hill. The view from the hotel is magnificent, there is a big balcony on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: rooms facing the swimming pool were extremely hot (and there is no air-conditioning!)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ingelina
Alastair C, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Ingelina

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually review and improve our service and facility.

Thank you for your overall positive feedback, however please accept my sincere apologies that you found the room too warm.

Please be aware that the hotel can provide discounted tickets for the local transport system should you not wish to walk to or from town.

Acting Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, NZ
Reviewed February 24, 2013

a bit out of town so a car useful, but on the positive side away from the noise of the town, rooms comfortable and had everything we needed. Breakfast was 'help yourself' lots of choice from cereals, fruits, cooked etc - quantity but not outstanding quality. Good value for the deal price we paid.

Room Tip: not much of a view of anything from the 1st floor forest wing
Dear Kiwiswhofly

Thank you for choosing to stay with Heritage Hotels and for taking the time to review your recent stay at Heritage Queenstown. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually review and improve our service and facility.

Thank you for your overall positive feedback, I am glad that you found our rooms comfortable and breakfast good value for money.

Whitianga, New Zealand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Kia ora, I had the chance to experience the Heritage in Queenstown. WOW, Perfect place to stay. I had a room with the lake view, very nice and glad I asked for the lake view, just beautiful. My bed was so comfy, soft and cosy. I so wanted to take this home with me, I wonder where they get these beds from. They helped with my luggage, not a problem to them, very helpful in getting the TV to work. The breakfast is a must, lots of selection and very relaxed atmoshpere. I asked for some pancakes and the chef whipped some up and cooked them up,right in front of me. I will be back Heritage . Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view, just amazing
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr Sharon D,

Thank you for your overall positive feedback, I am delighted to read that our staff provided to level of service we pride ourselves on.

Sharon, once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for staying with Heritage Hotels. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Heritage Queenstown in the not too distant future.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent two nights in our room in the Forest Wing. The room itself was spacious and clean, the balcony faces mostly trees but the lake was visible also. We didn't experience any noise from traffic. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the CBD.
We had one dinner at the hotel's restaurant - the food was good but it was evident that the service staff was struggling to keep up with the volume of room service orders competing with the sit-in diners. We found the staff particularly helpful in spite of the challenges.
Queenstown is a must see. We took in the gondola ride on a beautiful day and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Forest Wing are the furthest from the highway.
1 Thank R S
Alastair C, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear R S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am please to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms, cleanliness and service to be 5 stars. I trust you will enjoy the remainder of your holiday in New Zealand and hope we can welcome you back at some time in the future.

Kind regards
Cambewarra, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here two nights and expected a classy hotel. We found the room average and the decor very dated. The room was in the Waterfall building and we had to deal with a lot of traffic noise till late. We closed the door to the balcony and the room became stifflingly hot with no way to get fresh air in as there was no window to open. The room was clean and the bed comfortable although the mattress was too soft for us. Staff were polite and helpful. The cleaning staff were extremely good. The meals were expensive although enjoyable. Doubt we would stay there again as there is so much choice in Queenstown and I'm sure we could find better at a more reasonable cost. Everything at this hotel was for an extra charge. Location would be fine for an active young person but not for older unfit people.

1 Thank Wendy B
Alastair C, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Wendy B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustration caused. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually review and improve our service and facility.

Thank you for your overall positive feedback, this has been forwarded on to the management and staff concerned. With regard to the dated décor of the room, I am pleased to advise the Waterfall Wing is scheduled for refurbishment commencing in early April.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Queenstown in the not too distant future.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at Heritage Hotels for two nights, 2/15 and 2/16/13. As I was working I purchased the 24 hour wi-fi service the first night around 7 pm. Promptly at 7 the next evening I was cut off and had to purchase a second 24 hour access. Check out at this hotel is 10 am, unusually early but clearly stated. I asked the front desk for a late check out and was extended to 10:30. Others in my group asked as well and were given until 11 am. Since our flight didn't leave until 4 pm, I planned to sit in the lobby and work. My 24 hours of internet that I'd bought the previous night at 7 pm was inaccessible, however. When I inquired at the front desk, I was told it was cancelled when I checked out. They gave me a complimentary 1 hour access code. After that hour was up, I went up and explained what had happened again (I still had work to do) and this time was basically told to purchase more access. I asked to speak to the manager and she told me that I could purchase another hour for $10. I told her that I'd already paid for 24 hours and I'd just like to have what I'd paid for. She told me, "We're not an internet cafe." She said the hotel's internet provider operated it so that all plans were cancelled at check-out. This is no excuse, if you sell a service, you need to provide the service (24 hours is 24 hours), otherwise it is STEALING. So I filled out a customer feed back form and sent it into the main office in Auckland. Disappointing end to my trip. Also, you see that the last impression on my way out the door was the one that I took with me.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank sqthon
Alastair C, General Manager at Heritage Queenstown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Sqthon

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustration caused. We very much appreciate this feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually review and improve our service and facility.

I am currently in the process of following up on the issues that you encountered as they clearly were not dealt with in a professional manner, and will contact you again directly.

Once again please accept my apologies,

rutland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here 1 night as part of a 2 day tour through South Island. Hotel was a lovely haven to rest and relax after lots of sightseeing and a good location to walk into town. Rooms were very nice and the beds just lovely! Breakfast was good and all very efficient and well organised.
Queenstown is beautiful as is most of South Isalnd!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RutlandKatie
Dear RutlandKatie

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay, we appreciated that there were a number of choices you could make, and you choose the Heritage. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed you night with us, and hope that we can entice you back to this part of the world for a longer visit.

I hope you have a safe journey home.

Kind regards