“Good base for enjoying Queenstown”

Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Newcastle
“Good base for enjoying Queenstown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We had 4 nights at the CHRQL, booked online site unseen, and were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. In short, the staff were friendly and helpful. The room (1 bedroom suite) was fairly spacious, but not much by way of self containment (but, on reflection, it was booked as a hotel room, not an apartment, so I'm not sure why I was expecting SC). Spectacular views and a lovely balcony from which to enjoy them. The resort was close, but not too close, to the town centre - about 10-15 minutes walk. Also walked the picturesque lakefront path a few times, which took a bit longer. We stayed in shoulder season, so got a pretty good deal online for room and brekky. Only 3 small gripes were that: it was about 3 days camel ride from the car park to our room (which is what you get with spread-out-lakefront-type resorts); the constant influx and departure of coach tours gave the common areas (lobby, bar, restaurants, etc) a bit of a hectic, transient, airport type feel, and; (my constant whinge) I can't understand how budget motels manage to provide free wifi, but big chain hotels insist on charging $$$$ for it. Again, these are small issues and may, or may not, concern others. But, overall, a really good place and (if I could snag a similar online deal) I would happily stay here agin if visiting Queenstown.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and glad you seem to have enjoyed your stay. The property is large and well spread out and I take your point on the internet charges. Thanks for your comments much appreciate your feed back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for five nights at the beginning of a 3 week stay in nz.
We were lucky to receive a complementary upgrade to a one bedroom lake view suite,the view was amazing.
The hotel is positioned a ten minute walk uphill from Queenstown which was a bit of a hike after a day of action and adventuring but well worth it for the peaceful surrounds.
All of the staff we encountered during our stay were pleasant and helpful.
WiFi was a little limited with just 20 mins free access per 24hours but not a real problem as Queenstown will keep you so busy anyway.
All in all we couldn't fault the hotel and enjoyed every minute of our stay.
Reception were even happy to take care of our luggage on the morning of departure while we made our way to the airport to collect our campervan.

• Stayed November 2013
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Many thanks for your comments especially on the staff, glad you enjoyed your stay in Queenstown.
Blenheim, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

My room got no sun and was as far from the reception as possible , down a flight of stairs.The rate was really high considering no gym. There was a problem with the booking ( of my making) but the staff were extremely unhelpful. I seemed to me they were trying to extract the maximum dollars possible....charge for using a credit card, $20 per night for parking.

Room Tip: Dont stay here ...go somewhere else and get value for money.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your feed back I will pass these on to my Front Office Manager, we do charge for car parking at $10 a night or $20 a stay, so I will check to see that you have not been overcharged and credit your card accordingly, we do appreciate your feed back and hope you enjoyed Queenstown.

Travelers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

You would think that Lakefront means a view but many rooms face across to other rooms, are dark and hot as there is no air conditioning just a fan. I was orginally told I was unable to change but after many tries I finally upgraded from $170 to $185 per night. I was told I was unable to cancel as I had been booked through a Conference organiser, despite only imprinting my card and that I had given 24 hours notice. The staff are definitely not trained in customer service and could all do with Kiwihost 56 training. It certainly wasn't the service you would get in the USA or overseas. Having to argue is disappointing. The wifi is only 20 minutes and won't let you log on again even if you don't use all the 20 minutes the first time. I wouldn't go back to a Millenium and although there are three in Queenstown there seems to be no connection between them. There is so much choice of other places in Queenstown.

Room Tip: Insist on having a lakeview when you book especially if you are on a conference so you are not at t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerri S
Thank you for your feed back on the hotel, it is a shame that you did not seem to get service that you have paid for and I apologise for that, I hope your conference was a success and you enjoyed what Queenstown had to offer. I will pass on all your comments to department heads for them to review and improve upon.
Navi Mumbai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Hello,
Ben Forrester, Duty Manager - went out of his way to help us. Our rental car was had 4 flats.He called AA on his account, and helped liaise with the rental company the next day as well. He was a big help, as we were at our wits end as to how to go about it late night.
Great location as well - walking distance from town center(5mins max), with peace and quiet), most tour operators have pick up from the hotel. Car parking available, take it - its worth the extra few dollars.

We later discovered that the car had been vandalised - someone had put nails through the walls of all 4 tyres, while it was parked roadside, outside hotel. The rental company was also very helpful, and they gave us a replacement car - JUCY rentals.

Room Tip: we didnt try the fitness and kids activities, as we were out most of the time. the rooms were well f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for the feed back and your comments on Ben I will pass these on to him, glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have stayed at a few Copthorne Hotels and this was the best by far. The staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. The room was excellent with very nice garden views. The food in the restaurant was of a good standard and the breakfast exceeded all customers requirements. A very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Garden view with garden access.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments on the hotel and staff I will pass these on to them as they are very mindful of all comments they receive.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The room was comfortable clean and modern and the view from our window was amazing. It's a shame their staff were so rude. When we checked in half way through serving us the guy (who we discovered later was a duty manager!) starting chatting with some friends. When we asked for a recommendation of where to eat in town the lady said she would only recommend the hotel restaurant. Another lady at reception said she would make dinner reservations for us in town but she never did. The only person who was helpful was the lady at the concierge desk who booked us an excursion- she was great. Such a shame about the attitude it could be a lovely place to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feed back and I will be pointing this out to the staff, thank you again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.