“Fabulous view of lake and mountains”

Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Easily found the hotel and the position is great. Just a short walk through the lovely park and you are at the lake. Car parking available on the adjacent roads. View from the reception and restaurant is stunning. Worth having a bar snack at lunchtime just for the view!
Staff delightful and room very spacious

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments, glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and enjoyed the views over the lake to the mountains.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for four nights. Our room had a small balcony and was very comfortable. After having been charged $20 per night for carparking at a Wellington hotel it was a pleasant surprise to find that we could park for our entire stay for just $20. We ate at the restaurant on the first night and the food was lovely but quite overpriced (an extra $7.50 for a small bowl of vegetables) so we visited restaurants down the street for subsequent meals.. We had one breakfast at the hotel but the dining room was overcrowded with tour bus passengers and it was not an enjoyable experience - we do not like having to fight for our food. For the next three mornings we went down the street to the centre of Queenstown to eat breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and glad that you enjoyed your stay (apart from the busy breakfast) I will pass on to the staff your kind comments about them.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Small balcony, enough to walk out and admire the sweeping views of queenston and the lake.
Helpful staff, clean areas. Comfy rooms, no on site parking. Plenty of street parking in the area.
Wierd that you take the lifts down to your room , but, it is built on the side of a hill. there is a laundry on every second floor.
Walls are thin enough to hear the next rooms alarm. Other guests can be heard zipping up mthere bags at 4am in there room, and slamming doors to leave the hotel.
Only a 15 minute drive to/from airport. Easy to find

Swimming pool and fitness centre were not used or enquired about.

Room Tip: Easy to find. Close to airport
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your feed back and apologies for being woken up so early. I hope you enjoyed your time in Queenstown

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband booked us a standard garden view room for our wedding anniversary based on the experience that I had when staying here with our daughter in 2011 (also in a standard garden view room). Unfortunately this time things weren't so enjoyable.

Firstly, when we checked in I asked about carparking and was told that it would cost $20 to use the carpark for the duration of our stay, but that there was plenty of free parking in the streets around the hotel. In 2011 the car park was included in my room rate.

Next, we entered our room on floor 3, to be met by an overwhelming smell of damp. Also, the standard of the room was below that of the room I had last time (furnishings, television, bathroom were all poorer). I felt so bad that my husband had booked us in here on my recommendation.

We went down into the town for a bit, and on returning the smell was as bad, but I thought we'd cope with it if we just shut the bathroom door (since that was where the smell was coming from). So we decided to make a cup of tea, but where were we supposed to plug the jug/kettle in? There were no sockets near any table surface in the room, so we ended up plugging it in in the bathroom. In the end I decided that there was too much difference between this room and the one I had last time so went down to raise my concerns at reception.

There I was told, without any checking, that I must have had a free upgrade last time (if I did I wasn't told at the time), and that there were no upgrade rooms free this time. Instead I was offered either for our current room to be sprayed to remove (mask?) the smell or for us to move to a different room on the same floor. We viewed the alternative room, which thankfully smelt much better, and opted to change rooms. I have to say that the staff member dealt with my concerns very professionally and swiftly despite there being other guests waiting at reception.

On settling into our new room we decided to try again with the cup of tea. Again no where in the room to plug the jug in except the bathroom! Also the following day I used the hairdryer which, to my alarm, emitted sparks when I turned it on, then stopped working but started again when I shook it!

Sadly, this room was also a lot noisier that the one that I stayed in previously. and we didn't sleep well for either of the nights we stayed here. I wish that I had been told that we had been upgraded at that time (if that really was the case) as then I wouldn't have had such high expectations this time. I can't see us staying here again on future visits to Queenstown.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I arrived here without a reservation, covered in mud from just completing the Routeburn Track, and the gentleman at the front desk was very nice, offered me a decent rate for a room for the night. Large clean room, large bath tub - was too tired to notice much else. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments hope you enjoyed your walk and I will pass on your kind comments about the staff, thanks again.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Most hotels have the roons above,this one you took the lifts down! Fine once you got the hang of it!The rooms were clean and comfortable,ours had a wonderful view of the lake.The evening meals were of the buffet type and were good,breakfast also.It was abit of a trek down to the front but o.k. once you were used to it.We had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments, we are set on a numberof acres and it is a little spread out, we think thats good as it gives garden appeal, but agree that it can be a little confusing but thank you again for your comments and I will pass on to the staff.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, staff very welcoming and friendly. Room had lovely view of the lake, bed very comfortable and happy to pay the $20 for secure parking for the term of the stay. Ate in restaurant on 2 nights, staff in bar and in restaurant were exceptionally friendly and helpful and, as a woman travelling on her own, made me feel welcome.
Pleasant, if steep, walk back from town.
Just need to get TV reception sorted out, 2 of the channels were useless.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EAS509

Many thanks for your feed back, I will pass on your kind comments to the staff, TV coverage is a problem temporarily as we change to digital, this will be rectified in the next day or so, thanks again for your comments.