“Disappointing second visit”

Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront
Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband booked us a standard garden view room for our wedding anniversary based on the experience that I had when staying here with our daughter in 2011 (also in a standard garden view room). Unfortunately this time things weren't so enjoyable.

Firstly, when we checked in I asked about carparking and was told that it would cost $20 to use the carpark for the duration of our stay, but that there was plenty of free parking in the streets around the hotel. In 2011 the car park was included in my room rate.

Next, we entered our room on floor 3, to be met by an overwhelming smell of damp. Also, the standard of the room was below that of the room I had last time (furnishings, television, bathroom were all poorer). I felt so bad that my husband had booked us in here on my recommendation.

We went down into the town for a bit, and on returning the smell was as bad, but I thought we'd cope with it if we just shut the bathroom door (since that was where the smell was coming from). So we decided to make a cup of tea, but where were we supposed to plug the jug/kettle in? There were no sockets near any table surface in the room, so we ended up plugging it in in the bathroom. In the end I decided that there was too much difference between this room and the one I had last time so went down to raise my concerns at reception.

There I was told, without any checking, that I must have had a free upgrade last time (if I did I wasn't told at the time), and that there were no upgrade rooms free this time. Instead I was offered either for our current room to be sprayed to remove (mask?) the smell or for us to move to a different room on the same floor. We viewed the alternative room, which thankfully smelt much better, and opted to change rooms. I have to say that the staff member dealt with my concerns very professionally and swiftly despite there being other guests waiting at reception.

On settling into our new room we decided to try again with the cup of tea. Again no where in the room to plug the jug in except the bathroom! Also the following day I used the hairdryer which, to my alarm, emitted sparks when I turned it on, then stopped working but started again when I shook it!

Sadly, this room was also a lot noisier that the one that I stayed in previously. and we didn't sleep well for either of the nights we stayed here. I wish that I had been told that we had been upgraded at that time (if that really was the case) as then I wouldn't have had such high expectations this time. I can't see us staying here again on future visits to Queenstown.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I arrived here without a reservation, covered in mud from just completing the Routeburn Track, and the gentleman at the front desk was very nice, offered me a decent rate for a room for the night. Large clean room, large bath tub - was too tired to notice much else. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments hope you enjoyed your walk and I will pass on your kind comments about the staff, thanks again.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Most hotels have the roons above,this one you took the lifts down! Fine once you got the hang of it!The rooms were clean and comfortable,ours had a wonderful view of the lake.The evening meals were of the buffet type and were good,breakfast also.It was abit of a trek down to the front but o.k. once you were used to it.We had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments, we are set on a numberof acres and it is a little spread out, we think thats good as it gives garden appeal, but agree that it can be a little confusing but thank you again for your comments and I will pass on to the staff.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, staff very welcoming and friendly. Room had lovely view of the lake, bed very comfortable and happy to pay the $20 for secure parking for the term of the stay. Ate in restaurant on 2 nights, staff in bar and in restaurant were exceptionally friendly and helpful and, as a woman travelling on her own, made me feel welcome.
Pleasant, if steep, walk back from town.
Just need to get TV reception sorted out, 2 of the channels were useless.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EAS509

Many thanks for your feed back, I will pass on your kind comments to the staff, TV coverage is a problem temporarily as we change to digital, this will be rectified in the next day or so, thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Booked on Internet including breakfast which was pretty average with the usual hotel overdone bacon.
Room very nice with lake view.
Could not believe when told we had to pay to park in hotel car park, or else park out on street.
Very rambling rabbit warren type hotel so we had to grab a luggage trolley ourselves to cart luggage before parking as no porters offered or sighted

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shakennotstiirred

Thanks for your comments, the hotel is set on a large platform rather than high rise and I will pass on your comments to the Front Office manager regarding porters, appreciate your feed back

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great room, Great location, friendly staff. The hotel is huge and has amazing lake views. There is a pretty big hill to walk up to get back from town but I enjoyed it after all the amazing meals i was eating.
Bed was huge and super comfortable. Bathroom was really nice with a bath.
The 20 mins free internet in the lobby was a joke. Who wants to spend time in the lobby and 20 mins was hardly enough to organise banking... the internet to use in room was the most expensive I have ever seen in a hotel and for this reason we refused to use it.
All in all great stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feed back and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Internet is a little expensive from the rooms and I have passed on your comments to our providor as feed back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our stay was great. Our room had a great view of the lake. The hotel was near the bus stop, so going from the airport to the hotel (and back) was easy and cheap. Check connectabus.com for fare rates and schedules. The hotel is located a short downhill walk from the city center, around 10 minutes at a comfortable pace. This means an uphill walk going back to the hotel. The lake view really makes up for the short walk. There is 20 mins free internet from the lobby. Beyond 20 minutes, you would need to pay for the internet. The breakfast buffet was nothing to write home about and didn't change the 3 days we were there, but it was filling enough. The croissants and chocolate croissants were good. Did I mention the lake view? Awesome.

The rooms were a bit dated and old, you could see the paint chipping off. It looked clean enough though and we had several good night's sleep. For the price we paid it was okay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family