“Double booked!!! Last thing we needed!”

Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront
Ranked #37 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Dublin, Ireland
“Double booked!!! Last thing we needed!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Had booked this hotel mid january for March...parents were coming to stay and was showing them round NZ. Arrived in Queenstown and went to the hotel only to be informed in hotel was overbooked....how this can happen in this day and age i dont know!!! They told us that we could go down the road to the Millenium hotel instead so we ended up having to lug our bags down the road... Explained what happened at the Millenium and they had no record of us....they had to go in and organise a room for us last minute....in fairness the staff were lovely and very accommodating.... anyway we had booked for 2 queen beds and because it was last min ended up with a king and a roll away bed.....not to mention there was a dirty towel in the room (it was covered in toothpaste)....after a while they dropped off new towels and the like. Overall we were very disappointed....would not recommend this place at all!

• Stayed March 2013
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your feed back, we have no excuse for over booking and apologise for this and the fact that we did not pass on your information to the Millennium hotel in time, I presume the comments were about the Millennium after that and have passed these on to the manager there.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is certainly not the flashiest place in Queenstown, but for a couple of nights, for the money I think it's not bad at all. We had a lake view room, with a fantastic view - watching the mountains changing colour at sundown, with a glass of wine in your hand - what's not to love? The room, which although a bit tired and neglected, was spacious enough for 2 runners to lay out enough gear to fill a sports shop before a race. Bathroom - again, a bit tired and neglected, but good water pressure.

We ate in the restaurant on Friday night and the food was ok. Not the best meal I've ever had, but certainly not the worst. Service was a little slow though.

Staff were always friendly and helpful, and did not hesitate to tell us about the ample street parking outside the hotel, so we didn't have to pay for parking at all.

I didn't hear any noise coming from adjoining rooms, but thinking about it, we never really saw anyone coming or going to their rooms, but the lobby was pretty much always full of a tour group awaiting their bus, so it must have had fairly good occupancy.

No safe in the room, but you can hire a safety deposit box from Reception.

The gardens are beautiful, and a lovely quiet place to relax on a Sunday morning before heading off back to the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel, I will pass on your comments about the service in the Restaurant being a little slow and appreciate your comments on our friendly staff. This time of year is peak touring season and most hotels are full of tour groups. We do appreciate your comments and feed back.
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

While in NZ visiting my sister and her family, and with my parents visiting from SA too, my dad and I did a father-and-son tour of the South Island and ended up at the Copthorne for 2 nights. The room was very impressive - clean, tidy and well layed out. And the view looking out was breath-taking. Location-wise, we couldn't have asked for a better choice. Within relatively easy walking distance (it's a steep incline down into the city centre) of the city centre we had access to loads of wonderful shops, bars and restaurants. Also within walking distance is the Skyline Gondola which takes you to the top of Bob's Peak which is well worth it for the spectacular views. My only gripe with the hotel was that the free wifi was only accessible within the lobby and only for 20 minutes within a 24 hour period. Otherwise I would highly recommended it if based in Queenstown for a few days.

Room Tip: The room we had was towards the back of the hotel, which meant we were away from traffic noise and h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vincent J
Many thanks for your feed back on the hotel and glad that you enjoyed your stay. With regard to wifi, we have just finished installing wifi to all areas of the hotel. We do appreciate your comments.
Sandhurst
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. We were looking forward to it but it was very disappointing. Our bedroom badly needed a face lift. The only hotel on a months tour of New Zealand where we had an old style television and we could only get one channel. The bedside lampshades were broken and so was the ironing board. We asked for a replacement ironing board but that was broken too. The walls were paper thin, we could hear our neighbours television, them talking and their alarm. Maybe there are some better rooms at a cost. The most disappointing of all was the reception staff. On two separate occasions, they were unable to answer our queries and on another we even received a shrug of the shoulders! On trying to enter the underground car park, which we had to pay a charge for, the card we received wouldn't let us enter the car park. On returning to reception to report this the member of staff was very uninterested and unhelpful. Later on during our tour of New Zealand we stayed at another Copthorne hotel, this couldn't have been more different.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for about a week in January 2013. Based on the pictures and reviews, we thought we would be staying at a decent (but not great) hotel. However, the room was incredibly run down and felt dirty. Bedding was fairly gross, bathroom was dingy, and our refrigerator leaked profusely. At one point our neighbors were hanging wet laundry on the plants outside their (and our) room, which management refused to address. The internet was expensive and only wired in the room -- the advertised wireless internet is slow and only available for 20 minutes per day in the lobby. The hotel is also popular among large tour groups which were loud and clogged the lobby area. I would never stay here again. On the upside, the location of this hotel is quite good and very close to central Queenstown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leyburn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a lake view room. The views were stunning well worth the extra. The staff were very helpful in finding us somewhere to park our rather tall vehicle. The walk down to the harbour is a little more than the 10 mins adverstised, or perhaps we were rather slow!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike R
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Many thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed the view and I will pass on your comments on the staff to them, thanks again for your time.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Rydges last year and, to tell you the truth, I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the room that I got. On my return this year, I wanted another hotel and my travel agent recommended the Copthorne to me as she had stayed there before and found it quite good. She wasn't wrong. I requested a room with a view of Lake Wakatipu and I was not disappointed.

The room was quite nice - definitely better than the one I had a year ago at Rydges however I have to admit that, although it was not bad at all, there was nothing wow about it.

I was only staying 2 nights so I did not get to enjoy all the facilities and everything else that they have but the restaurant and bar looked pretty good.

The staff were nice overall especially Emma (I think?) who made my check-in and check-out smooth, quick and easy.

The bad:

- You need to pay for parking (I think it's about $20 for your stay) if you want to use their car park however there's generally plenty of free parking on the street so that's not a big issue really.
- I found the accoustics in the room not that great. You could definitely hear people in the next room (wardrobe doors closing etc), which was disturbing.
- They only have 1 Sky channel so I missed out on the Man Utd game which was on one of the ones they did not have so that was disappointing!

I was quite satisfied overall though and would consider coming back hopefully next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for your feed back, hope you enjoyed your time in Queenstown and I will pass on to Emma your comments, thanks again.