“Not a bad choice”

Ranked #36 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
New York City, New York, Usa
“Not a bad choice”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Copthorne is about a 10-minute walk or a one-stop bus ride from central Queenstown, so the location is removed from the downtown noise. The bus also continues to the airport, making for a convenient exit from town. I generally liked my stay at the Copthorne with a couple reservations. On the plus side, the helpful staff stored a bag for me while I went hiking for a few days. The room was big and well appointed enough. On the minus side, the king-size bed was really two twins pushed together, so I'd always feel the ridge on my back if i rolled to the center. The hotel's sprawling layout and unusual numbering system made getting around a bit confusing -- just as I was getting the hang of it, it was time to check out. There's no swimming pool or fitness room (facilities one might expect at a large resort property). Also, I noticed that the front desk was unattended several times during my comings and goings, which would have been inconvenient if I had a problem.

Would I stay here again? If I found a decent room rate (as I did this time), I'd consider it, for sure. Without that, I'd be more likely to try another Queenstown hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We booked this hotel through wotif, making it a very reasonable stay for the price we paid. Service was good and efficient and we were also lucky to get an upgrade.

The hotel is a bit further out of town but for the money we paid in queenstown, in peak season, is good value

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
robertoakes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for posting a response on Trip Advisor, I will pass on to the staff your kind comments and I hope you had a good break.
Isle of Wight, England
Reviewed January 11, 2013

There are two Copthorne hotels in Queenstown, the Lakefront Resort where we stayed and the Lakeview, just across the road (I gather Copthorne bought this from a previous owner). Slightly confusing, particularly as we had a lake view room at the Lakefront resort. Both are a 20' taxi ride from the airport (and on the edge of town nearest the airport).
We were well pleased with our three-night stay - the staff were very helpful (eg loan of a British plug charger) and once you had the layout sorted in your mind, it was an easy trip between lobby and our spacious room. The view of the lake and mountains was spectacular, though this is the upper part of the lake rather than the busy part facing downtown. A bottle of wine welcomed us to our room, which was very quiet.The grounds between hotel and lake are quite attractive, but watch your need for a daytime nap does to co-incide with the lawn mowing schedule.
The first night we thought we would try their restaurant, and were surprised to find that this is just 20 covers on a balcony above the lobby (the breakfast room is separate, and could provide extra restaurant space if there was the demand). Only three tables were occupied the evening we were there; food and wine were excellent and the French waitress charming, but she admitted that most guests ate in town, or were in groups whose dining was accommodated elsewhere. One problem is that the noise from the lobby (particularly groups arriving and departing) impinges on the restaurant's ambience. A glass screen is needed.
The hotel is a 10' walk into town, downhill going, uphill coming back, though there is a bus service running every 30 minutes until late evening. The front desk will call taxis. We preferred the quiet location to the bustle of downtown.
It is true that some parts of the hotel could do with a bit of a freshen up. Our room was opened with a key, which meant we had to hand it in to the desk when coming and going, no problem except when finding the lobby full of groups trying to check in. However we were generally able to catch the eye of the front desk staff and 'jump' the queue. In fairness we were there at a busy time (pre-Christmas).
This is not a hotel for the party crowd, the bar adjacent to the restaurant being equally small!

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade to a lake view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miketap
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Very convenient location- easy walking distance from Queenstown city centre. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and gave us useful information on what activities to do while here. No issues with customer service whatsoever. The only issue we had was that the walls are a bit thin... So we were woken up a few times early in the morning by other guests in neighbouring rooms and in the hallway. Besides that- no problems at all!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I will pass on your comments about the staff to them, glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post a comment
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is overpriced and had a very strict, stingy WiFi policy. Just give free WiFi - it's so basic and makes guests happy. The staff was also difficult when I was making the reservation - again, locked in strict policies. The hotel itself is tired, with threadbare carpets on the stairs. On the upsdide, it is an easy walk from the center of town for those who can take hills.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M C
La Coruna, Spain
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I found everything about this hotel perfect. All the staff were amazingly kind, helpful and friendly. I had a great view from my room. The hotel was very clean and I heard no noise from my room during my 16-day stay. The location was perfect - just a short walk into town. Tours and activities were organised so efficiently. The lounge with the panoramic view was an ideal place to sit and read. I enjoyed receiving a free paper, delivered to my door each morning, which I could read in the lovely, comfy bed while sipping a free hot chocolate from the selection of beverages. Gosh it was hard to leave !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MathsMagic
Many thanks for your kind comments I will pass them on and I hope you enjoyed your holiday in New Zealand
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I choose this Hotel as I like the brand and I assumed it would be on the lakeside. It wasn't, it was well above the lake and well out of Queenstown up a steep hill. The hotel catered for asian bus parties and I would not reccomended it for the casual visitor. The place was well run but sterile, the rooms were a bit dated, the TV options poor and they wanted $300 for limited 7 day internet connectivity in the rooms: a rip off! They did have 20 minute free wifi usage (per day) in the lobby but this was limited and once logged in it was use it or loose it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Davidlowe46

Travelers are raving about these Queenstown hotels