“value for money”

Scenic Suites Queenstown
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Good location, easy to walk to town. Nice room, very modern and clean. Services were very good. For NZD150 a night, it's the best place that we stayed for the whole trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 27, 2010

My partner and I were treated with an upgrade at Scenic suites by our tour company and boy, we weren't disappointed! Upon arrival a porter kindly carried our luggage to the room through endless corridors and up various lifts. First impressions of these communal areas were average as they were dark and tired looking. However, once we stepped into our apartment, WOW! Clean, contemporary decor, well equipped and stunning views of both lake mountains and the gondola.A perfect start to our 3 night stay in Queenstown. Our balcony and 2 floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the busy road down into town, we thought, would pose a problem. But come nightime, traffic was minimal just a little noise from a few revellers walking back from town. All in all, a very comfortable stay with everything you could need .

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We were arranged to the first floor and it's like in the basement because the hotel is on the hill. There's no view at all. That's ok because the price is very reasonable. I booked 3 nights first and afterwards I booked 1 more night because I decided to stay longter. Both bookings were via Scenic's official web site and I got 2 different booking Reference No. Moreover, I have prepaid on line for both bookings. After I stayed for 3 nights, the forth day I came back from outside, I found my room were not arranged. Then my husband received a phone call from the receiption, and the tone is unfriendly. The receiption said we should check-out, otherwise we have to pay for the 4th night in the front dest. I went to the receiption and clarify with them. In the begining, they insisted I just booked for 3 nights. Finally they found it's their mis-understanding, but they said it's computer system's mistake. I don't think its a good reason. Anyway, they had someone to arrange my room after we went out for dinner.
There's free charge guest laundry in every floor. The receiption didn't introduce hotel's amenities while I checked-in. I bought the token in Sceinc's front desk then go to Heartland's guest laundry for 2 times. There's still no one told me they have free laundry nearby my room.
Believe or not? The third time I ask for buying a token, while at the same time I clarify my 4th night booking with the receiption, they told me I don't need to buy a token, there's free one nearby my room.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kimikolin
graemehorsley, General Manager at Scenic Suites Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

An unfortunate mix up due to two separate bookings being made, one on 21 jan and the next on 10 Feb through our website. The second booking was placed into our system automatically with no link to the first which is normal so we were unwittingly unaware it existed. We were not made aware by the guest upon check in that a separate booking had been made for an extra night and although the reservation was indeed sitting there it was not connected to the first. I apologise if we seemed a little sharp on the phone but we had a full hotel and guests we thought should have checked out!!
Happily we could resolve the situation once the 2nd booking was discovered.

Reviewed April 7, 2010

we had a twin sharing room
pros
excellent rooms. good room service, courteous & polite reception
cons
not a lake front resort. it is on the otherside of the road.
has 3 seperate buildings, not a composite structure.

paritosh
lucknow, India

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Our room at the Scenic Suites Queenstown was top notch. It had a very large and well equipped kitchenette, which included a washer and dryer for clothes. It also had a large living room and dining area, surrounded by picture windows which, unfortunately, just looked out on a wall (instead of the spectacular scenery that some of the rooms at that hotel must look out on), but did have a patio (without furniture and also without a view). The TV in the living room was large, but only offered New Zealand channels. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was clean, large and offered all the amenities. There was a lot of furniture in the room and it was all quite comfortable.

The biggest downside of the place is that it is at the top of a very steep road down to the very nice town a couple of city blocks away down below. Going down is okay, even if gravity forces you to walk a bit on the lively side, but it would be too steep for most to climb back up. Fortunately, a cab back to the hotel costs about five New Zealand dollars (about .7 U.S. dollar) and cabs are easy to find. The cabbies in New Zealand do not expect tips. In fact, we were scolded by New Zealanders for giving tips, saying that the foreigners were about to ruin it for them. Taxis are easy to find in town.

The internet in the Scenic Suites Queenstown is most ungenerous. An in-room connect was $26 a day for 100 MB of usage, which didn’t sound like much to me. After that, it is ten cents a minute. There are coin operated computers close to the lobby that cost one dollar for ten minutes, with no discount for longer use. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant for any meal except one breakfast, since Queenstown is a smorgasbord of one really nice restaurant after another. However, the prices on the menu in front of it did not appear to be outrageous. They gave us a cupon to get their breakfast buffet of $16 New Zealand dollars each. It was well stocked and the food was pretty good. We were satisfied with it.

I also have a couple of quibbles. My first quibble is that the complimentary coffee in the room was in the form of a tea bag, that you dipped into the hot water like a tea bag. The result was watery, barely drinkable coffee. Then, for the second day, the maid left us a note that she was out of coffee, which was strange, because I walked straight down to the desk and came back with a handful of packets of granular coffee, which was much better than the tea bag variety of the day before. She also just left the used coffee cups out unwashed. While I guess that didn’t hurt anything, I can’t say I ever saw that before in an upscale hotel. My second quibble is that, while the desk personnel were polite and businesslike, they did not give us the visiting royalty treatment we received in other hotels in New Zealand. Like I said, they’re quibbles. They were good about getting us taxis’ into town and a shuttle to the airport, if not cheerfully, at least without scowling.

Queenstown was by far our favorite destination in New Zealand. It is a beautiful place that nestles among mountains and fronts onto a lake. It reminds you of Switzerland. It also has many, many good shops and restaurants which are conveniently located in the downtown area, all very close to each other. We especially enjoyed the steamship ride out into the lake and just hanging around the waterfront, where it seemed like something was always going on – like a hang glider show.

All in all, we were well satisfied with our stay at the Scenic Suites Queenstown and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Nice clean hotel situated close to town centre. However, to get into to town on foot a very steep hill needs to be tackled. As the hotel is built into a hillside the geography of the floors is complicated, so too the lifts as well as access to underground garage. Not a hotel for disabled or those with little sense of direction.
Position outweighs difficulties.
Restaurant with reasonable food at reasonable prices. Food in Qeenstown itself. can be expensive.
Overall it is OK.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank george3rotherham
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Got a room at the last minute. It was large, modern, and clean with very nice amenities including fridge, micro and all those great little shampoos, lotions etc. Desk clerk (sorry I forgot her name) was very helpful in all ways. Walking distance to downtown, dock, etc. Had a balcony and great view of the lake. It was a true 4* I went down to the desk to check our quoted rate because it was too good to be true.

• Stayed: March 2010