“Find the money and do it, seriously, you must do this!!!”
Review of Wakatipu Aero Club

Wakatipu Aero Club
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: No trip to Queenstown is complete without visiting the breathtakingly beautiful Milford Sound. Let our pilots take you on an unforgettable scenic flight-seeing adventure into the heart of the Southern Alps and around New Zealand's tallest mountain and largest glaciers.
Brisbane
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Find the money and do it, seriously, you must do this!!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Our trip started with a quick pre-flight chat with our pilot, Mackenzie, who showed us to the little Cessna that would whisk us away to the beautiful Milford Sound. I fly a lot for work... But rarely in light aircraft. However, I (and my wife and 7 year old son) felt at ease with our professional and knowledgable pilot.

The views were spectacular. Words can't do justice.... I hope to upload some photos later. Fascinating commentary en route... The view coming in to Queenstown on a commercial flight are good. These were so much better! Flying low over the alps is incredible... You can see avalanches and almost touch some of the peaks and rocky outcrops.... NYSE best part is that one you reach Milford in a plane, because your are so high (to get over the mountains surrounding Milford), you have to fly the length of the Sound (yes, I know it is actually a fiord) and back to get down to the landing strip. Absolutely awesome!

The boat tour was good, but the real highlight was the flight. It was great to see the Fiord from both perspectives.

Mackenzie escorted us to and from the cruise terminal and we walked back to the Milford landing strip with Mackenzie who pointed out many of the sites and birds we wouldn't have otherwise seen... The flight home was interesting as we followed a different series of valleys and canyons, before descending over Lake Wakatipu, with fabulous views of Queenstown and surrounds.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. I want to go again!!! Next time we will fly somewhere else with them. I enjoyed this more than our scenic helicopter tour (with alpine landing) earlier in the week.

, Pilot at Wakatipu Aero Club, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for such wonderful feedback. We really do go out of our way to provide the best possible experience, so to see big smiles and happy guests is extremely gratifying. I had a great time flying with you and would love to hear from you if you're ever back in Queenstown.

-Mackenzie.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Only way to see Milford Sound”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

If you visit Queenstown you absolutely MUST visit Milford Sound and the ONLY way to get there and back is with Air Wakatipu. 4 hours in the bus or half an hour each way flying. Professional and experienced pilot and the views were beyond words. Best decision we made. Highly recommend.

Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely worth the money, only way to see Milford Sounds”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We did this flight to Milford Sounds as we were low on time so driving was not really an option. However I had not realised quite how amazing the scenery would be when going by air, it was absolutely stunning. Coupled with some very knowledgeable friendly Pilots who explained lots about the areas we were flying over made this one of the best days of our holiday.

You also take a different route each way to maximise what you see. It really is worth the money.

Visited March 2012
Gareth A, Pilot at Wakatipu Aero Club, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your journey with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the trip so much and that it was one of the main highlights of your trip! It was a pleasure flying with you - Hayden
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“You made my B/day Week”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I only like to get in planes that start n finish with a '7', but this was totally awesome & recommend it to nervous & experienced travellers. The views were sensational & better experience than the boat at MS (sorry, just being honest). Gareth gave a great running commentary along the way & even laughed at my jokes.

Visited April 2012
Gareth A, Public Relations Manager at Wakatipu Aero Club, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed the flight. Make sure to stop by next time you're in Queenstown. In exchange for some more cheesy jokes I'll fly you around Mt. Aspiring and down to Big Bay.

Cheers,
Gareth
Reno
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We had limited time in Queenstown, so the flight over the Southern Alps to Milford Sound was well worth the cost. Much better for us than spending the whole time day on the bus. The scenery was spectacular. While the ride was a bit bumpy, the pilot took extra care to calm my wife's fears. After the awesome flight to the sound, the cruise was a bit anti-climatic