“You made my B/day Week”
Review of Wakatipu Aero Club

Wakatipu Aero Club
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: No trip to Queenstown is complete without visiting the breathtakingly beautiful Milford Sound. Let our pilots take you on an unforgettable scenic flight-seeing adventure into the heart of the Southern Alps and around New Zealand's tallest mountain and largest glaciers.
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“You made my B/day Week”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I only like to get in planes that start n finish with a '7', but this was totally awesome & recommend it to nervous & experienced travellers. The views were sensational & better experience than the boat at MS (sorry, just being honest). Gareth gave a great running commentary along the way & even laughed at my jokes.

Visited April 2012
Gareth A, Public Relations Manager at Wakatipu Aero Club, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I'm glad you enjoyed the flight. Make sure to stop by next time you're in Queenstown. In exchange for some more cheesy jokes I'll fly you around Mt. Aspiring and down to Big Bay.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We had limited time in Queenstown, so the flight over the Southern Alps to Milford Sound was well worth the cost. Much better for us than spending the whole time day on the bus. The scenery was spectacular. While the ride was a bit bumpy, the pilot took extra care to calm my wife's fears. After the awesome flight to the sound, the cruise was a bit anti-climatic

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Something we will always remember, do it!”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We toyed with doing the coach trip to Milford sound, mainly to save some money but but weighing up 10 hours on the coach alone versus 4 1/2 hours to do the whole trip flying both ways, including the amazing boat trip on the sound,
was well worth it! Not only did it save us precious time, being blown away by the experience but it really is great value for money!
Our flight with Mackenzie really was the highlight of our whole trip in NZ!
We were already looking forward to our return flight as soon as we landed in Milford! I was nervous about flying in a small plane but mackenzie is an excellent pilot and my nerves vanished. His commentry was brilliant and the views are seriously breathtaking, not only do you get incredible veiws of the sound itself you wouldn't get any other way but you fly over glaciers, amazing snow capped mountain and valleys. Plus both flights are different! So glad we chose to do the fly/cruise/fly option, I seriously recommend it, you won't regret it, I promise!

Fraser, Colorado
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“The only way to see Milford Sound”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We had been driving around the S. Island a lot so we decided to see Milford Sound by Air instead of taking the roundtrip 8 hour drive. Boy, did we make the right decision. Before arriving I thought the flight was expensive for my husband and I. If you can afford this, then book a flight on Air Wakatipu to Milford Sound with a scenic cruise. We are still looking at our pictures and this was quite the experience to see Queenstown, the snow capped mountains, and Milford Sound by air. It is well worth it to have these memories for the price you pay. I even found a better deal through BookMe Queenstown. Our pilot was Peter and he was a very experienced Pilot that told us about the mountains, waterfalls, and scenery we flew over. We flew close to mountain peaks and this was an experience I will never forget. The scenery is incredible and it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Seeing by air, I was speechless. However when you land to take your cruise on the Milford Adventurer- you feel so small with the mountains arising straight out of the sea. The cruise for 1 hour and half is plenty of time to see Milford Sound. You cruise the entire sound and see all the waterfalls. You even get sprayed by one- a Milford Sound tradition. When I first booked this I was worried that the cruise would be too short but after the cruise we were glad we had the Juicy cruise on the Milford Adventurer. We were lucky on weather, it was warm and sunny. We even saw seals enjoying a nap on a rock. It rains a lot here. We videotaped part of our flight and love watching it again because the scenery was so beautiful. We were awestruck. The journey was expensive but it was 4 hours instead of driving the full 8 hours plus a 1 hour cruise. We were able to see everything from the air and we spent only four hours and still enjoyed the rest of the day in Queenstown. I am convinced this is the only way to see Milford Sound. Just look at the weather when you book. Peter said flights get cancelled a lot due to weather. We were lucky because it was perfect weather with a little turbulence to add some adventurer and we were able to return in a cloudy rainstorm before the weather turned bad. So my only advice would be to book in the beginning of your trip because if your flight is cancelled you can go hopefully get to fly at some point during your stay in Queenstown. I looked at the weather report before booking and choose the best weather day. This flight on Air Wakatipu was a memory to last a lifetime. Thanks Peter for such a great experience. I am glad I booked with Air Wakatipu.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Bcogswell
Gareth A, Pilot at Wakatipu Aero Club, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks for your review! Like you, we've found that most of our guests prefer the smaller boat of Cruising Milford/Jucy Cruise.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

A tailor-made flight with a landing on Big Bay. Memorable! Thank you very much Gareth.

Visited December 2011
You're very welcome! The Big Bay landing is great fun and a totally unique experience. Thanks again for sharing those great photos as well.