“Christmas Dinner at the Hilton's Wakatipu Grill”
Review of Wakatipu Grill

Wakatipu Grill
Ranked #64 of 262 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: On the lakefront, Hilton Queenstown's signature restaurant the Wakatipu Grill reflects the best of New Zealand on a grand scale. The cuisine is inspiring, with provocative takes on New Zealand flavours. Vast windows frame the extraordinary sight of the lake. An open kitchen and rotisserie, along with two circular slate fireplaces, lend even more drama to this magnificent and sensuous space. In the bar, be tempted by yet another captivating perspective of the lake, or an exceptional vintage – the 1000-strong wine cellar has a keen focus on Otago’s best winemakers. Or linger on the generous terrace where the elements combine to spectacular effect: the lake’s indigo depths, the clear air, rich earthy tones and a decadent outdoor fire pit.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked this for our Christmas dinner way in advance because we were warned that most restaurants would be closed. Beautiful setting, good food. It was, as you can expect, expensive ($ND150 or about $130 each, plus wine). We didn't feel like paying extra for the 3 suggested wines for each course so we just got a bottle of wine, for less. (But I realize that most folks paying this much money would just go with their selections.)

Norman E, Manager at Wakatipu Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear gasngoArlingtonVA,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your Christmas Dinner and hope that I can welcome you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Wakatipu Grill

Reviewed January 5, 2013

As we were staying in queenstown over the holidays and we had a entertainment book card full of great discounts and specials for the area so it came in handy. So i booked the wakatipu grill for dinner on the first day of the new year the atmosphere was lovely by the lake the food unfortunatly was very adverage. When we came to pay the bill i handed over my entertainment card and was told to my surprise they didn't except it on public holidays. I informed them there was no such claim in their add in the book and said it could be used anytime! I feel this is a breach of the consumors guarantee act for advertising not acceptable!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

One of our best dining experiences. Came over to the restaurant on the water taxi which was a fun experience all on it's own, the kids loved it.
We dined in a beautiful setting on the deck, the winelist was copmrehensive and our waiter, Davide was excellent with his wine suggestions and good humour. The food was cooked to perfection, and my lamb was beautiful. Great kids menu too, relaxed and friendly dining.

1  Thank LockyNZ

Dear LockyNZ

I was delighted that you and your family fully enjoyed your time with us and I have passed on your feedback to Davide as well as the kitchen team.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

+Good food, expecially cheese cake and risotto
+Friendly service
+Nice decor
- Location is far away from Queenstown center
-Booked 4 months ago, did not get table outside, because we were not staying at hotel

Norman E, Manager at Wakatipu Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Jarmo,

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your Wakatipu Grill experience and am again sorry that the terrace was full despite your very early booking - this was a mistake on our part but I hope the the round of complimentary cocktails went some way to rectify this.

Our water taxi service offers delivery to Steamer Wharf from the frontage of the Wakatipu Grill in just over 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Queenstown.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place is right on the lake and has amazing food. Friend had the filet and I had the Salmon. Both were delicious. Again it is the view that makes this place truly special though. Also my friend and I love cider and they have killer cider all over NZ.

Dear Livelif

Thank you for taking the time to tell me of your Wakatipu Grill dining experience, I was glad to read that the meals were enjoyed by all. I myself am a big fan of the salmon dish, especially on a hot day. I must agree that the Macs cider we have on tap has been very popular during these hot Central Otago days.