“Never fails to impress.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I have now stayed at this hotel twice. Once on a romantic get away weekend and once when travelling through to elsewhere. On both occasions we were impressed by the hotel facilities (love the indoor pool, steam room and sauna) and by the attention to detail and service. The small things like the beautiful bathroom products (which you can purchase larger volumes of at reception to take home) and the quality bed linen are as carefully attended to as the beautiful rooms (schist stone gas fire !) with world class views and the perfect, on time, room service. We were even able to get a barista made flat white delivered to our room ! This is our favourite hotel in Queenstown and while certainly not the cheapest we have been able to get wot-if deals on both occasions that have made our stay not only affordable but comparable to other far less luxurious hotels in town. The only downside if you are visiting Queenstown and do not have your own vehicle - it is a wee way from town. We quite like this as QT can get a bit noisy and its nice to enjoy the town but stay somewhere quiet. It is still within walking/biking/short car drive distance if you choose. Highly recommended. Can't wait to try the spa on our next stay.

Room Tip: Views vary around the facility so request a lake view if available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wk p
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear wk p

It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves again and thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

I understand it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience during their stay and I was pleased to see we exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay and I know you will truly enjoy an experience in our luxurious eforea spa.

Andrew Nisbet

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has the potential to be fantatsic; however due I think to the state of the economy not all of the hotel faciltiies are open. The bar in the Kawaru hotel hasn't been open the two times we have stayed and the Mee and Mee Noodel house which is just fantatsic has limited hours. Also the bar closes at set times rather than stauing open if there are sufficient epople to warrant it.
Cannot fault the location, the rooms the staff or the scenery.
Overall a really really good place to stay and mkes you feel "rich" for a short while! /the Noodel house is exceptionally good valyue for money and the stacks pub is excellent!

Room Tip: Pay a little bit extra for a view of the Lake!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tania S

Dear Tania

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

Unfortunately October is a quieter month in this area, however, the bar should not close at set times. Generally it will stay open if there are guests using it. I will pass this on to our Food & Beverage manager to follow up.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed our Me & mee Noodle Bar which is open from wednesday through to sundays.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel rooms had a separate bedroom and lounge which was great. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook dinner and the room was so comfy that we decided to cook and stay in. There were 3 restaurants at the hotel offering a good variety of cuisine and prices. Staff were very helpful with details of all amenities and directions. A couple of suggestions would be......the reception was hard to find and we had to drive around a couple of times to figure out where to park and check in and the room description said we had a balcony/courtyard but this was a little disappointing as it was so small that 2 people could barely stand on it. But for the price we were very happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julie m
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Julie m

Thank you for placing your feedback following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves.

I appreciate your comment regarding the lack of signage within the village. We have received consent to erect these now and we are finalising the designs so this should be in place before too long.

I understand your remark about the balcony. Unfortunately due to the design of the building there was nowhere else to locate the air conditioning unit.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

First time to this hotel. Spent the extra and got Lake View, and lovely outlook over the lake and trees to the mountains beyond. Check- in was friendly and fast and the whole place was very peaceful and clean and there didn't seem to many people around. Parking was excellent right under the hotel and free :-) the lake side path was also very senic and we fed the ducks along the way. Awesome view of aircraft climbing up from take off if taking off in that direction.....and the kawarau jet wizzes past every now and again. Went to stacks pub for a meal one night and sat outside and gazed down to the lake. Meal was nice and resonably priced then went to the wee shop (bakery / conveinence store) type place and got a lemon meringue pie for dessert - yumm! Would come back again for sure - in fact when we went into Queestown (township), we kept saying how good it was that our hotel was away from the hustle and bustle and noise. Check out was also friendly and fast and everyting on the bill was in order. PS: other reviews have mentioned the bathroom fan - but have to say I did not really hear it at all, also, the balcony although you can not sit on it, was nice to stand and lean on the rail and watch the world go by in the sunshine. Not sure I would have had the same experience on the other side of the hotel facing the cliff, so lake side is must if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Lake side view - if you can.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hangar2jo

Dear hangar2jo

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

It was great to see everything went well and we exceeded your expectations.
Thank you once again for such a positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and that is the real test of a hotel and it's practices, will it meet the expectations after my first visit. In a word yes, the front desk staff were warm and friendly, everything was explained to me so I was in no doubt where to park the car, what facilities were available and when, overall another fantastic experience.
The room was comfortable and very clean, a welcome "home away from home" which was very welcome to anyone who travels a lot.
Great job Kawarau Hotel and all staff, keep up the good work.
Will I be back, you betcha I will.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brett M

Dear Brett M

Thank you for such a great review. I am pleased we met your expectations for a second time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your 'home away from home' again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The website looks great, the room equipment sounded complete and it was run by Hilton which normally has a brand standard. Reality.. try to find the correct check in point first time...not going to happen. The room looked great..but the uneven floor between the main room and bathroom means you trip as you enter teh bathroom. A very dangerous situation and my wife and I both triped and al;most hit the bathroom sink. The self catering aspect..well if you want to make coffee...use the oven...you have to crawl on the floor to get to it and as soon as you use it the smoke alarm goes off. No table to eat at..and the list goes on. No ice trays in frig and no ice machine on the floor. Just not set up to work So avoid this hotel.
One bright side I do have to mention...was the staff...they were very friendly and tried to do what they could.

Room Tip: If self cateriung ...avoid
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rvilis
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear rvilis

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

I apologise for the step in the bathroom, this was a health and safety requirement at time of construction and we will look at placing some signage to alert guests.
I am sorry you were not happy with the kitchenette. This usually receives good reviews and is welcomed as an unexpected bonus in the rooms.
I appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly team members. I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Always greeted with a lovely cheery smile and how has your day been - that is service that you can't buy! The front desk staff are a real asset to this Hotel, and the rooms are lovely and modern with all that you could need in them. You won't find a nicer place in Frankton to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lake.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank beaniewellington
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear beaniewellington

I appreciate your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed yourself and thank you again for your encouraging remarks regarding our front office team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.