“It's hard to locate the hotel but I love it!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #25 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Hong Kong, China
“It's hard to locate the hotel but I love it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have been to quite a lot of hotels in NZ during the trip and this is definitely one of the best! The receptionist is nice and friendly (though she has mistaken my dad as my husband which is a little bit... odd, HAHA).
The parking! great! indoor parking and we can go upstairs to our room directly. The room, we got a nice little kitchenette and a living room. Nice. The twins beds was a little bit............ small but anyways.

However, the hotel is NOT in Queenstown, and I think it can only be accessible by car. Even if you have a car, it's hard to locate in the dark. Basically it's a 5 minutes drive from the airport. When you passed thru the airport, which would be on your left, you need to first drive thru the REALLY narrow bridge over the river. Then the hotel should be on your right. BUT you can't go there directly. You would need to make a left turn and drive around 2-3 minutes, then there's a slip road on your right. The sign should be "Kelvin's height", turn right to the slip road and drive, it would be a little bit odd if you arrived there late, it's like you're driving to some haunted castle in scary movie but keep going, and then after 2 minutes you would see a sign "Kawarau Village" on your right(which is NOT that illuminated even in complete darkness). Then you are now in the Hilton village and the end of the road is "Kawarau Hotel". Even I got the GPS, I was wondering if I drove correctly even at the entrance of the village (as the sign is super dim).

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GLaw123
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear GLaw123

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
We have never been compared to a 'haunted castle' before!
We have a regular water taxi and bus service operating hourly to and from Queenstown.
I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the convenience of easy parking.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay sometime in the near future.

Andrew Nisbet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

First of all, location is out of Queenstown, so it's only worth staying here if you have a car and want to discover the area around Queenstown. Airport is very near, only 5 minutes away.
The rooms are lovely, small kitchenette area, living room and bedroom. Very clean, and modern furniture. Free parking in also a plus. Don't know about WIFI, but if you don't have your laptop with you, you can use the business center in the main Hilton.

1 Thank Legionella84
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear legionella84

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback following your stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
We do operate regular water taxi and bus services to and from Queenstown throughout the day and evening.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your room and facilities.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay.

Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here the night before heading back to Boston. Nice place with a shuttle boat to take you to Queenstown. My complaint is they overcharged us for internet and after two attempts to have our bill credited, I gave up. It was 25.00 and I was not getting a response from my e-mails.
Wish I had stayed in Queenstown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diane33
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Diane 33

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at the Kawarau Hotel.

I am sorry to hear you experienced a discrepancy with your account. I would very much like you to contact me on andrew.nisbet@hilton.com as I would like to, firstly, have the opportunity to resolve this for you and also to understand why there has been no response to your emails.

I understand that it is important for our guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and your feedback is much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you and I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay when you are next visiting New Zealand.

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times. My first stay was wonderful. I have returned to stay twice due to my first impressions. Unfortunately the standard has dropped and my last visit was terribly disappointing. The room was very noisy. The air conditioning whirred all night even though it wasn't on. There were no wine glasses in the room or pens paper and hand soap. I called for these bits and pieces and waited over 1 hour for them to arrive. I was told that the reason there wasn't any glasses etc was the new Hotel Standard! It was very disappointing.
I will not be staying there again. I'm in Queenstown at least 4 times a year. I need to find a new hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Tracy-Lee H
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Tracy-Lee H

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at the Kawarau Hotel.
It is very disappointing to hear you feel our standards have dropped since your first visit. I understand your remark regarding the noisy fan. From construction stage these fans have proven to be an issue and we are currently reviewing a replacement programme for them.
I apologise regarding the lack of amenities in your room. This is unacceptable and I have addressed this with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure extra care and training is given to her team. I am pleased to advise all wine glasses have been placed back into the rooms.

I appreciate your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay again to enjoy the high standards equal to your first visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in deluxe lake view room in October last year. The view was amazing from our room. You can just relax in the lounge and look at the lake and snow capped mountains from the floor-to-celling window. The bed is comfortable and the mini kitchen is useful. There are a few restaurants and a deli in the hotel as well. So if you don't want to go out, you can stay in the hotel and have meals there.

we didn't realize that the hotel is not in the town centre but the hotel has the water taxi which runs every half an hour so it is not too bad and it provides a different experience. If you would like a quiet place to stay and be away from noisy bars in Queenstown at night, it is a great place to stay as a couple or for the whole family.

There is a bus stop on the top of the road.(the road to the top is a bit steep though.) We took the bus to Arrow town which needs to transfer to another bus, but it is really easy and fun. Just check the bus timetable before you go. The people at the activity booking desk next to the lobby were really helpful. We booked hot air bloom tour and had a wonderful experience.

In general, we had a good time there!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Noisey13
Dear Noisey13

I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and were able to make use of so many of the facilities within the village. It was great you were able to have a wonderful experience in the hot air balloon.
I look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime soon.

NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was the most romantic and beautiful hotel, it was my birthday so we even received a complimentary upgrade toi a lake view room!! The room was immaculate and every time we stepped out we would come back to it being spotlesss again the service was amazing!
The front of house staff were so helpful and polite, soft spoken and really made you feel like royalty.
Only 5 minutes from the Airport but no noise!
The little ferry over to Queenstown was really fun and gave you a great look at the surrounding mountains and countryside. For only $15 return.
We ended up being snowed in and our flight cancelled so the hotel offered us a special flight cancellation rate for an extra night that really took the stress out of the situation.
Would deffinitly come here again and it made my birthday perfect!

Room Tip: Deffinitly get a lake view room its amazing to wake up to in the morning !
1 Thank NzLittleTraveller
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear NzLittleTraveller

Thank you for sharing your comments and I am so pleased you had such a 'perfect' birthday.

It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and no hassles even with a flight disrupt.
I look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate many more birthdays to come.

Papamoa, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We recently stayed here for 6 nights on holiday. Loved everything about this hotel, bed was comfy, the lounge area felt homely, the staff were very friendly, especially Amber at reception, we were always made to feel like we were arriving home each day. Also made use of the eforea spa at the Hilton for the second time, this is a great way to unwind after skiing!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for a lakeview room, it is worth it!
1 Thank Sandie81
Andrew N, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Sandie81

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Kawarau Hotel and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

I am pleased you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for your kind comments regarding Amber. She will be very happy to know she made an impression on you.
Its great you were able to unwind in our beautiful eforea spa after a day skiing.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.