“Beware the falling pine cones !!!”
Review of Queenstown Hill

and up
Queenstown ATV Tour
Ranked #2 of 123 things to do in Queenstown
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a great walk but don't be fooled it is a challenge - you rise 500m. I am pretty fit and love to hike but my legs were screaming on the way up, there is no relief from the incline until you reach the basket of dreams area. It took me 1 hour 50 mins From Belfast St. with 10 mins of photos and i walk quite fast. The track becomes a loop track so if you take the left hand option it is shorter and more scenic with views of the gondola and town. Right side is longer and goes through a deep forested area, not as many views. Some people go up at sunset and/ or picnic up there. Well worth the walk and it's free !! Would definitely go again. As for those plummeting pine cones be warned.

There are newer reviews for Queenstown Hill

Reviewed January 27, 2013

A great little walk, doesn't take too long to get up there and you get a stunning 360 degree view from the top.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've been to Queenstown five times in the last ten years but this last trip (Jan 2013) was the first time I attempted this walk. The descriptions of this walk at DOC's website were a little misleading in my opinion. It said this would take 3 hours return, but for us three, including my 6 year old boy, it took us under 2 hours, incl. a break at the lookout, and allowing plenty of time taking photos. I was also initially worried that my 6 year old would find it too challenging and this was unfounded. He stormed off with dad and they were running uphill half of the time. I was the one dragging the chain but it still wasn't that difficult. If you are average fitness, no particular health problem, this should be on your must-do, as the view at the top is just so rewarding! You would also feel you have done a decent workout. We have taken so many photos of Queenstown from the top of the Gondola, but these ones we just took at the other side of the hill top are better.

1  Thank travelyun
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Took about 1.5hr round trip at a pretty decent pace. Was sore after doing this walk and I would consider myself pretty fit. The views were definitely worth it though. Takes 15 minutes or so to reach the bottom of the track from downtown and there are great views from the beginning of the trail.

2  Thank mnh555
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a enjoyable walk. It has got great views of the mountains and the water. I couldn't say one thing I disliked about this walk. And is a good idea if you have kids!

1  Thank Henrietta R