“I am Moving In !!”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the one of the most peaceful and scenic places I have ever stayed at on the planet and loved it. It is pretty hard to fault an establishment that upon arrival the check in staff tell you to wait whilst they let the GM (Andrew) know that you have arrived, sadly he was tied up in a meeting but we were then greeted by his lovely PA who gave as a guided tour and escorted us to our 2 bedroom deluxe lakeview apartment (amazing), she even offered to carry my daughters little suitcase.
The room is fantastic and there was even a fruit bowl,bottled water,bus and water taxi timetable,comp newspaper and a personal greeting card welcoming me and if I need anything more to contact the GM or Duty Manager directly, I have stayed in a lot of hotels and haven't had that kind of welcome before.(And I am not a Gold Member )
In a nutshell the place is amazing, easy to work everything out, getting to Queenstown is a breeze we just got the bus into town when we needed to and sometimes we utilised the water taxi back . The shopping centre is within walking distance (10-15 mins ) and it is a lovely walk over the river and a great place to pick up some groceries if you are staying for some time.
The staff are great,the facilities are modern, the pool is lovely (maybe a couple of degrees warmer would be nice but hey it can't all be perfect ), my wife tells me the Day Spa was fantastic and the place feels like you are the only ones there.
The apartment was fully cleaned and made up daily including the dishes...yes even the dishes.

We ate at Stacks the food was prompt and faultless as was room service and Mee Mee's.

All in all I cannot fault this place and I stayed here for 10 nights with a family of 4 (2 kids under 8), so take my word for it if you want to get out of the hustle and bustle but can easily get there if you want to, then stay here ! I have also heard that they are getting a shuttle bus in October so if that is the case you have no reason to look at anywhere else.

Will definitely be back and may never leave next time.

Well done to you and your staff Andrew truly outstanding.

Room Tip: Lakeview, Lakeview ,Lakeview.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Aussos
There are newer reviews for Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed in two different rooms at the hotel and were really impressed with the quality of service. We felt special and looked after. Highly recommend staying here. The rooms were spacious and the views from the rooms were just breathtaking.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Randeep K

Thank you for the feedback. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us. We have some special offers coming up in October and November, keep an eye out and get down for a short break

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel itself is stunning. The rooms are really nicely done, the fireplace and large bathroom are definitely plus points for me and the views are spectacular. I had heard it was best to hire a car as it is out of town, I would agree, as having a car makes it very easy to get around and it's very close to both the Remarkables and Coronet Peak. (There's free parking nearby or you can utilize the valet service for $10 per night I think)

Friendly staff always greeted us when we walked in and the breakfast is top quality.

Definitely coming back to Queenstown and will be staying here again.

Dear Robin C

Great feedback, thank you. I was particularly pleased to read you enjoyed the breakfast. We have been working to improve the offering, so it's great to see we are getting there.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great hotel just out of the hustle and bustle of Queenstown itself. Every single one of the staff was outstanding. My gluten-free diet was totally catered for both at buffet breakfast and dinner. The valet parking was brilliant and reasonably priced. Room was large, spotless and comfortable with a great view. Would highly recommend.

Dear Cheryl P

Thank you for you wonderful review. You should look out for our Champagne offer coming up in October and November, come down for a short break

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Firstly, I have to say this is probably one of the most relaxing, tranquil and scenic hotels I have ever stayed in. The location is wonderful, and the morning views from the room are quite exquisite. Rooms are wonderful (as an HHonors gold member we were kindly upgraded to a Lake Wakitipu suite), and the gas fireplaces are a lovely touch.

The hotel décor is fantastic and its warm, cosy and great for a winter getaway. I can imagine it would be just as nice in summer too.

Breakfast is amazing...I would put it right up there with some of the best I have had in my 10 years of extensive travelling. The views from the restaurant just add that extra touch too.

All in all, a wonderful hotel and a great stay......

However, there were just a few things that let this gem of a hotel down....Firstly, the business centre. My partner had an online exam to write whilst on our holiday. After checking and researching that the hotel had a 24 hour business centre, we made the decision not to cart a laptop half way round the world. However, upon entering the business centre (yes our room cards opened the door), we were met by a somewhat startled guest who told us that the business centre was off limits to other guests for the week because they had hired it out). So after checking with reception what alternatives were available to us, we were informed that the 2 computers next to reception could be used. Well, every night there was a function in the hotel lobby bar in excess of 100 guests...so eventually my girlfriend had to resort to writing the exam on her smart phone in our room.

There was a conference on in the hotel for the duration of our stay, and so many of the hotel passages and corridors were off limits to hotel guests. The hotel is a maze of passages and elevators as it is, so this didn't help in terms of getting to and from the room, lobby, gym, etc

The "magic button" on the phone is also a nice touch, but on some occasions doesn't always create any magic...and on one occasion I eventually had to go and fetch my own wine glasses from the bar.....

All that being said, it is a wonderful hotel....and I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind staying in Queenstown central itself. The location is 5 mins from the airport, Frankton, etc...and makes for very easy travel to Lake Hayes, Arrowtown, etc....

Will definitely be back

Room Tip: Without doubt, pay the extra, or ask very nicely - but make sure you get a lake facing room. It'...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hilton H

Great name! thank you for the feedback.

I apologise for some of the shortfalls during your stay, irrespective of how busy we may be you should have a wonderful experience across the resort.

We will be working on areas to improve to ensure we achieve consistency and deliver great service.

Let me know when you are planning another trip, andrew.nisbet@hilton.com

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ok this may be a little long but I think worth the read, if you want to plan yourself a good holiday to Queenstown.
So this is my second review on The Hilton Queenstown, on our latest stay, and a few incites on holidaying in Queenstown, considering my wife and I visit Queenstown 4 to 5 times a year.
Firstly this time we stayed in a Lake View Room at the Hilton Queenstown from August 4th to August 17th 2013, if you want pretty much the best view of the lake in Queenstown, then the Lake View Room is the one you want, unless you want to splurge then you have the Relaxation Room (Which is a Lake View Room with a Private Outdoor Spa), or the Wakatipu Suite (Which is Bigger).
Now I would suggest like us if you are planning on visiting this lovely town regularly (and who doesn’t want to visit Queenstown as much as possible) then I suggest you pick a Hotel with a rewards program like the Hilton offers, with is their "Hilton Honours Membership", and stick to it.
It doesn’t have to be the Hilton, Sofitel and others offer rewards programs also, but we chose the Hilton for a few reasons, a large 5 star chain, They have Hotels in all the cities we love to travel to, and they offer good rewards for the points you receive for stays.
The reason why I say this is we tried a few Hotels in Queenstown when we first started visiting Queenstown, but decided we like the Hilton best, and for the past few years we have only stayed at the Hilton Queenstown.
What this means is we now know most the staff, we know Andrew N, The General Manager, Annika, the House Keeping Manager, and Elizabeth, the Guest Relations Manager (who is amazing, and treats us like royalty :) ), and because we are loyal to the Hilton (and stay about 40 days a year at the Hilton), these people really go out of their way to make sure we get the room we want, and have the stay we so look forward to.
Don't get me wrong you don't have to stay 40 days a year like we do, for this type of treatment, but if you come back just once a year, and continue to stay at the Hilton, I know that these staff are eager to know you, your likes and dislikes, and they will bend over backwards to make you happy.
And as a example of how hard they will try, we were suppose to leave Queenstown, on Friday the 16th of August, but our Virgin plane broke down ( another not so happy story), which meant in the middle of New Zealand Winter Games week over 100 passengers were looking for last minute accommodation for that night, when every place including the Hilton was booked up, but going back to the loyalty thing, we walked into the Hilton tired and hungry (after sitting in a airport for 7 hours) Elizabeth, the Guest Relations Manager who we deal with at the Hilton (Did I mention she is amazing) found us a room, then had one of the managers escorted us personally to our room and then that manager went and made us a dinner reservation personally at the restaurant. (Whilst other passengers we meet on the flight, had to stay in backpackers)
THATS LOYALTY.
So to touch on a few other things:
Is the Hilton on the other side of the lake and a distance to far to walk from Queenstown?
Answer: Yes, there is a bus service which as others on here have touched on is pretty terrible, with change overs ect. that can be confusing, and there is a taxi boat service, which we have found in the past few years is now running less and less trips, and has become more expensive, you have to remember the taxi service is not owned by the Hilton and is a private company so they will only run trips they deem profitable.
It can be frustrating I must admit, my wife and I got caught ourselves one night when we hoped to catch the taxi boat back for their last run at 10 pm after some drinks, only to find they had cancelled the usually 10pm run in Winter, meaning the last night run was at 9pm.
Which meant a $40 cab ride back to the Hilton.
I do feel that the Hilton does need to invest in a small bus and offer their own transport to town from early morning to late at night and offer it free to guests, this would help a lot, as I notice a lot of negative comments on Tripadviser are about this subject.
In saying that I would suggest to anyone coming to Queenstown to hire a car, there are to many beautiful places like Wanaka, Cromwell (love the pick your own Cherry picking at Christmas) and Glenorchy for some truly picture perfect (and many movie set) scenery.
We have also noticed that that when the Hilton is full the restaurant and house keeping can get flustered, we have never had a problem getting through on the "Magic Button" but in saying that we have had to ring multiple times to get something (like to get Water each night being Gold Honours Members), also when busy we do find House keeping can miss stuff in the rooms like changing the sheets regularly when they need changing, if you stay for long periods like us, replacing the toilet paper, and sometimes the corridors can be a little grubby.
Also we do find the whole Hilton complex is kept quite Hot most the time, which can be a shock when you walk out into 3 degree temperatures.
And finally we use to really like the turn down service, which we were told on our August trip wasn't happening any more.
But these are all pretty small things that I have listed, as I know Andrew N, The General Manager reads all these comments.
In the end loyalty is everything, and I can tell you if you show loyalty to this Hilton it will be reciprocated, and that is priceless.

Steven Rowden

Room Tip: If you want pretty much the best view of the lake in Queenstown, then the Lake View Room is the one...

Stephen

Appreciate the feedback. My aim is to remove the little issues that crop and make the experience seamless.

I am trialling a scheduled shuttle service, complimentary, into town from October which will make a big difference.

See you soon

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Wonderful location across the bay, away from tourism of town. Great if you have a car and the regular afternoon/ evening water taxi's a more pleasant/unique way to travel to town. Hotel beautiful, staff friendly. Suits couples and families.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Andrew F

Thanks for the great feedback. Come over and see us in the summer, it's amazing