“Queenstown Hilton disappointing”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were were looking forward to a lovely weekend experience but were left disappointed. Firstly we booked into the signature restaurant at 4.00pm for a 7.30 booking. Reception rang back 2 hours later to say 'sorry fully booked'. After saying this was not good enough they let us keep our booking. At dinner all the following items were unavailable from the menu; crayfish, mussels, oysters and lamb rack. Not good enough for a Friday night. (26th May) I accept oysters are sourced based on the weather and supply but the rest of the items is mismanagement. Also the restaurant was half empty all night so definitely not fully booked. We were offered a 15 to 20% discount for the following night if they could get some oysters. Is it 15 or 20%? I expect them to be more specific considering the prices they charge. Also in the Lakeside Cafe they forgot our order. SERVICE MEDIOCRE OVERALL. This is the 2nd time we have stayed here and am not sue if we will be back!

Room Tip: Spa units were lovey with excellent views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Cheryl

Thank you for sharing your comments.

We strive to offer a high standard of service, however, it appears this was not the case during your stay.
I do apologise for the poor service you received regarding your experience in the Wakatipu Grill. This was unacceptable and i have addressed the issue with the management team.
I understand it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and your feedback is most appreciated.

I do hope you will consider returning to experience the quality service I know we can and do provide.

Andrew Nisbet

Write a ReviewReviews (2,966)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Have just spend $539{nz} at Millbrook Queenstown, after spending 10 minutes on the phone with the Hilton staff trying to make a reservation after explaining 5 times my requirements it became such an impossible task that I finally gave up and rang Millbrook who were more than accommodating . Your loss, won't be bothering again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Lesley

Thank you for posting your review.

I am disappointed to hear that the team at our central reservations ( based in the Philippines ) had such a negative impact on the planning of your stay.

I have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments onto the supervisor who is responsible for overseeing the reservation team that handle the Queenstown property calls. We understand that it is important for guests to receive a memorable experience at the hotel and we were very pleased to receive your feedback.

We are reviewing the possiblity of redirecting calls directly to the hotel. I would be grateful if you could email us directly as I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding this.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We arrived at valet parking to a bit of a shocker (cars everywhere), but this was soon sorted and we waited to be check in (there was a queue here also). We had booked a two bedroom lakeside room, which was in a seperate building to reception (and the pool and resturants etc). The underground carparking is a bit confusing, but we got there in the end. Our room was lovely, gas fireplace was nice. Beds were super comfortable as advertised. One thing that was very annoying was the noise that the water system made when a tap was turned on, you could barely hear yourself think. Apart from this we had a great stay. Was a little annoying to have to walk on a path to another building to go for a swim, but not a major. People staying in the actual hotel would be fine. We had a ground floor apartment, which opened onto the path in front of the lake. We had room service for dinner, which we enjoyed. Was surprised that these apartments don't have airconditioning, for a five star hotel this was disappointing. I wouldn't want to stay in summer.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main hotel if you want to be close to the pool. These rooms also have aircondition...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Jasenzl

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay.

The residences have only been part of our management pool since christmas. It is unfortunate they were not fitted with air conditioning. This is something we may consider at a later date.

I do apologise for the noise you experienced within the water system. I have advised our chief engineer to attend to this.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our stay at the Hilton was truly magical. I was travelling with my husband and 2 daughters (4 and 6). From the moment we pulled up we were all mesmerised. I went in with my daughters to check in and we were greeted by a lovely lady (Josephine I think) and they were given a little gift pack with "magic Hilton bubbles" in it which they got to blow on the way to the room. We were taken over to our room and the girls even got a hug from Josephine when she left. Our room was lovely (2 bedrooms with a peak of a view from the balcony) and the fireplace was great. We dined frequently at the cafe on the steps and both me and my husband had our hair cut at the salon (D'or) there (fabulous service and very cheap compared to Auckland prices). The cafe was not the cheapest for the type of food it served but very nice and affordable compared to a restuarant and relaxed for dining with kids. The water taxi across to Queenstown was awesome and I would definitely recommend it. Super close to the airport and a quick 10 minute drive into town and close to Arrowtown. Staff were all super friendly and helpful. We all loved it! Only slight negative was that our room was directly above the bar and the noise did carry a bit when people headed outside to drink - not enough to disturb any ones sleep but something to think about if you are a particularly light sleeper.

Room Tip: Avoid room above the bar. The lake view would be worth paying extra for.

Dear Cat

Thank you for sharing your comments.
I was pleased to see you and your family enjoyed themselves and thank you for the kind comments regarding Josefin. I will be sure to pass these on to her.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed four nights and this Hilton was great. It is an attractive, brilliantly situated hotel, on the edge of the lake (lake Wakatipu), about 7km outside of Queenstown. Bus (with a change), water taxi, or walk or bike round to Queenstown are all possibilities. The views take your breath away – the water, the sky, and the hills that surround it.

This is a modern hotel, well appointed with really helpful staff and well-equipped and comfortable rooms. Some rooms have hot tubs, some balconies, and some have glorious lakeside views. Mine had the latter and was a two-room suite with separate bathroom. The hotel has a smart restaurant; a pub style restaurant and a café selling food you can take out too. The pub serves freshly cooked and made pizzas, burgers, pasta and a range of other foods and wines. There is a gym and a spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jezzr

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourself.
Thank you for mentioning the various transport options into town.
I look forward to welcoming you back to stay should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel was an excellent option for our family holiday. Extremely clean rooms and bathrooms with comfortable beds. Gorgeous setting, and good breakfast made it all really great. It is a bit out of the town centre, but if you have your own tranpsort, then this is an excellent option.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tracey

Great to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We checked in at the Hilton and we had a beautiful lake view room. The bath tub overlooked the lake which was pretty cool and the log fire (gas) was a really nice touch. The views from the balcony were stunning, showing the beautiful autumnal colours spectacularly. The Hilton is out of town but it's easy to take a water taxi or a 10 minute drive. There are plenty of eating options at the resort we had a very nice meal in Stacks pub which was a 2 minute walk from our room. Would definitely stay here again when next in Queenstown

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon P

Dear Sharon

Great to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for sharing your comments.

I am pleased to see you will stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.