“A mixed bag”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 6 yr old son. I chose this property over the Sofitel mainly as it had a pool, and the price was very good for a 2 bdrm apartment ($254 p/nt). We also regularly stay at the Hilton in Taupo which is always fantastic.

Pros:
We got a good deal, nice apartment (although not overly big) with lovely views.
Spa facility on site as well as pool and spa pool.
Restaurants on site.
Quiet serene location with nice lake views

Cons:
Service is not exceptional, and not up to the usual Hilton standard from our experience elsewhere.
Relatively far from town so you must catch a water taxi (which in Winter would be far too cold), or a cab ($40 one way), unless you have a vehicle of course.
A little bit of a maze and reception very hard to find on first arrival. Not given a map or any helpful instructions on arrival.

If you are a regular 5 star hotel customer you may well not find this hotel up to par. Examples: Fan in the apartment would not turn off so there was a noise 24/7. I could sleep through it, but still not good. We were advised that it was meant to turn off after 30-45 mins from using the bathroom so clearly a malfunction. The fact that the apartments don't have air conditioning made putting up with the noise of a fan even more irritating!

My husband went to take his colleague to the bar for a night cap and the bar had run out of vodka which seems unbelievable (and embarrassing) for a Hilton establishment!

I had to phone up to get the room serviced on the first day. The staff member I spoke to was quite blase' about it and said it was likely just a mis communication which led me to think it was probably not an uncommon occurrence.

The staff just feel ever so slightly disinterested and communication seems somehow lacking (reiterated by the fact that another room was mistakenly charged for our spa treatment and we were phoned about it once we arrived home).

I should say though that the spa facility is great and provided a great massage and facial, not cheap but an expected price for a top facility. Was surprised to find nowhere to change in the spa restrooms facility though. Showers, toilets, spa and sauna but no private cubicles....!

So overall not by any means a terrible experience, but could have been better. Definitely not up to the usual Hilton standard. I can only put it down to the fact that it is a tourist town and most of the staff were from other countries, so possibly the staff come and go quite regularly so they never quite get it right.....

Room Tip: Be aware no air con in apartments. Lovely lake views though.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank coleenaperi1
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear coleenaperi1

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
I do apologise you were not given a map of the village at check in. I have mentioned this to our Front office Manager to follow up with her team.

I have discussed your other concerns with our management team to ensure we are delivering a high standard of service consistantly.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again sometime soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a lovely 4 night stay at the Queenstown Hilton. We had just come off a 16 hr flight and we arrived at the hotel a little before one o’clock. We assumed our room wouldn’t be ready since check-in is at 3, but we were happily surprised when we were told that it was ready. Our room was spacious, clean and stylish. It faced the lake and we had a lovely view of it. One odd thing about our bathroom was that it had a foul odor coming from the drainage hole in the floor. Once we covered the hole with a wet hand towel, the smell went away. Otherwise the room was great. The hotel has a nice pool that my husband used and a well equipped gym.

The hotel is situated away from downtown Queenstown, but it’s easily accessible by car, bus or water taxi. We enjoyed being away from all the hectic energy in Queenstown. If you have a rental car, the self park is very easy and close by. Plus the airport is literally 5 minutes away – so convenient.

The only drawback is the internet fee. While, I understand that the charge is for the convenience factor, I think $29 per day is excessive. I don’t have a problem paying for usage, but I think somewhere in the range of $12-$15 per day would be more appropriate (that’s what other hotels in their price range and category charge). I know that there’s a business center that offers complimentary internet, but sometimes you just don’t want to make your way all down to the business center when it’s late at night.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the lake. Great views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear theoatybear

Thank you for taking the time to place your review following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I wa spleased to see you enjoyed yourselves. I appreciate your comment regarding the internet charges. We are governed by brand standards with this and currently Hilton Worldwide are reviewing their systems.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at Hilton Hotel Queenstown for two nights. It was great except two: 1. On arrival, it took too long for the porter to bring our luggage to our door. We had to wait in the room doing nothing with no bags and we ended up having to reschedule our very first plan/appointment. 2. Car park - it was alsolutely nightmare. There is no space to reverse and come out! I have not seen any car park like that in my life. At 10pm, the car park was full but we couldn't tell if it was full or not until we drove in. There was no space to reverse and come out! When the car park is full, there is no way you can do three point turn! We had to do valet parking because there was no other choice and that was $10. Hilton Hotel Queenstown should do something about the car park seriously. Or very cheap way would be to install 'car park FULL' light sign at the front at least.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed a very good hotel for a good offer. It was cheaper than any other hotel in the city. The only 'problem' is if you rent a car and you would like to park in the area. There is a guess parking but it is shared with another hotel and we saw some cars parked in the road.

Room Tip: Despite it is in a suburb out of the city, there is a bus service that take you to the city. Also, t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear L B

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay.

The Hilton Hotel offers valet parking or there is self parking available under the Kawarau Hotel. There are also parking spaces around the entire village.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed only 1 night there unfortunately, the hotel is amazing!
The views are stunning and the room is lovely!
The fireplace is very charming, loved, loved, loved!!

Totally recommend and I'll be back for sure! =)

Dear Biafrg

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed yourself so much.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here. As hilton gold members we were upgraded to a lakefront suites which was just wonderful. The concierge gave us a tour of the hotel on arrival which was very helpful as the layout of the hotel is a tad confusing as it has been built to maximise views of the lake. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bath was fantastic.
The views across the lake are wonderful day or night.
The steam room and indoor lap pool are welcome features.
While there is a water taxi and a regular bus service, it is more convenient to have your own transport. Valet parking or free self parking available.
A wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear 7CherylK7

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nice beds, modern decor, and a decent mini bar are all, may I suggest, par for the course for a hotel claiming to be 5 star. Where Hilton Queenstown falls short is the service. Not just one, but all staff we encountered on our stay seemed a little amateur if not seemingly well too junior to hold the positions they had. The property is situated, like many in this town - in a picturesque location making most any picture you take worthy of framing. As a modern hotel only recently completed, it's almost without question that it is high class at each and every turn. The quality of the fixtures indeed cannot be questioned. Where they fail to meet the grade is the service. Simply put it falls short, and as an example, being asked if we'd ever visited this hotel before, and responding "No" would normally invite a thorough overview of what is what within the property, where it all is, and any peculiarities that may exist. Instead - there was a deafening silence, and later on complete confusion trying to figure out our way around the place. We noted as we were lost in one instance, another couple in the same predicament. The blind leading the blind you could say! In a competitive world where ultimately people make all the difference, we wouldn't return until the property has more established staff who can truly add value to the great location and complex they've created around it.

Room Tip: we had a suite which required 2 elevators and a reasonable walk. I guess if you weren't into tra...

Dear travelatorz

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see generally you enjoyed yourselves. I do apologise the size of the village was a little daunting. Like any visit to a new property it takes time to familiarise yourself with the layout.
I have spoken with our management team regarding the lack of service and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

Thank you again and I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay again in the near future.