“Lovely hotel, facilities and room (spa)”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lovely hotel, facilities and room (spa)”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Staff were great and everything seemed clean and in good condition. Beautiful views and ambience. Only complaints would be breakfast on last day (Sun) as staff were struggling to keep up with having enough glasses etc and scrambled eggs were cold. Also on departure we found we had a charge for the restaurant which wasn't correct but it was waived promptly. Would definitly stay here again though.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear KateinNZ

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves. I do apologise for the struggle during breakfast. Our Food & Beverage Manager has implemented a few changes to allow the operation to flow more efficiently during busy times.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are visiting Queenstown.

Andrew Nisbet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time. The room was spacious and clean with a bath. We ate in the main restaurant which was just fantastic. We took the water taxi to down for dinner which was much quicker than by car. We hired bikes and rode the bike trail to town and jacks point.

• Stayed February 2013
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Russdi

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.

Its great to see you had a good time and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay next time you are visiting Queenstown.

Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Queenstown Hilton for five nights in July 2013 and overall it was a comfortable, quality stay. I was particularly impressed by the service I recieved when I asked if the bathroom fan (which didn't seem to turn off, and was keeping me awake) could be fixed - by the time I returned to my room that afternoon all was silent. Room was comfortable with quality fittings and furnishings, and the gas fire was a lovely touch - I stayed in a Lake View room, and it looks exactly as shown in the photos. My only issue was that despite staying in the middle of winter, with temperatures below zero degress, I found the room too warm to get to sleep, even with the air conditioning on low - however, I think this was a personal quirk as I do tend to 'run hot'. Easily solved though, by leaving the sliding door to the balcony open!

Also impressed by the care I recieved when the fire alarm went off and I found myself evacuated in my pajamas - a lovely lady took me and the other person in similar attire down to the lobby of the Kawerau hotel, away from the milling crowds, and provided us with blankets for warmth and modesty, then kept giving us updates on what was going on. I was greatly reassured by the personal attention I recieved when in a vulnerable state of dress.

I didn't really eat at the restaurants, apart from a small meal from the asian restaurant which I thought was overpriced for what I got ($16 for six very small skewers of somewhat dry chicken) and breakfast at the Wakatipu Grill, which was delicious but slow to be served (I think because I threw them by ordering from the Ala Carte Menu instead of the buffet) - I will say, though, that at least two of the wait staff saw me waiting for longer than they found acceptable and both checked on progress and came back with updates and complimentary fruit juice.

The Spa was very enjoyable - I had a ninety minute massage, and when I explained to the therapist how much tension and stress I had in my back and shoulders, she really went to work on them, and I came away feeling like a ten tonne weight had been lifted off me - awesome! The products used were top notch too, and I still have some of the bath oil I bought - carefully rationed out over the last six months.

I think the lobby should also be mentioned - a very comfortable area with an open fire, and a shabby-chic, homely feel going on. It manages to be comfortable and welcoming and elegant all at the same time.

All in all I was happy with my stay at the Hilton. I do think that it's *slightly* overpriced, as I had comparable stays at hotels that charged less - but I think that's just what you accept when you stay in Queenstown and at a Hilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Marzi1624

Great to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for sharing your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Wellington
Reviewed February 6, 2013

A lovely break away for the weekend - - - thankfully situated 8 mins drive from the centre of Queenstown - but with our rental car, not a problem. Valet parking at $10 per day is excellent, fast and friendly. or you can try the Water taxi service to Queenstown waterfront for $15 return PP.
Reception need to be trained better - this was not a 5 star welcome or during the weekend they were not demonstrating 5 star assistance with various phone queries. Concierge team though were 5 star professionals and provided info and papers quickly.
Rooms are spacious and lovely with an excellent view of the lake. Bathrooms huge and only gripe is you need more than one cake of soap for 2 x basins, 1 x shower and 1 x bath! Sorted on day 2 by an obliging housekeeper.
Restaurant has a great selection of breakfast options plus espresso coffees at no extra charge. Staff also need a bit more training on attentiveness but otherwise very good.
Tried out the Spa - quite pricey but a nice break in the day - Stephanie is to be commended for her lovely technique and service.
Lastly - - -2 x gripes not really majors as we will come back. Common areas in the hotel needed to be kept more clean. Specifically the doorway carpet area to the level 6 service area by the lifts was filthy all weekend, and the internet daily charge for a 5 star hotel is ridiculous EVEN though the business centre offers this for free - - most travellers want the ablity to log on in the comfort of their room or around the various relaxtion areas of the hotel. Also - - dont forget to join Hilton Honours programme and start gathering points for your stay.

Room Tip: We have always enjoyed 6th Floor - - - - - high up for the view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Sian

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for your kind comments regarding Stephanie. I wil be sure to share these with her.

I do apologise for the common areas not being up to standard this is not acceptable and I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper. She will ensure her team are maintaining the high standards we pride ourselves on.

Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in July and again in August skiing. Great decor, great swimming pool. Staff friendly and helpful. Feels like. James Bond movie getting to and from town in the boat.
Was also there for Cliquot in the snow, fab and fantastic value.
Defintely coming back

• Stayed July 2012
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Mazzieq

Great to see you have stayed so often and that you enjoy yourselves.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

DFW
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Hilton exceeded our expectations. Over the 9 days and 8 nights of our stay, we encountered numerous staff members, all of whom were courteous, friendly, and always willing to go the extra mile. The hotel is beautiful, impeccably decorated and sparkly clean. Be sure to choose an option that includes breakfast; it's an amazing buffet of foods... not just your typical continental breakfast. The only thing I can think that could have made our stay better is if the water taxi began their runs to Queenstown earlier than 12:30. (But to be fair, there is a courtesy van that we could have used instead that makes earlier runs, but didn't.) Also, the eforea spa is fantastic. Thank you, Hilton!

Room Tip: The Relaxation Room is totally worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear wandojames

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay at the Hilton Queenstown.
It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and I look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I thought the hotel was not as i expected for a 5 star, they were understaffed and when i rang reception for my room it took me three times to get through to them. The staff were friendly, but the service was slow. Good for the location if you want to live away from the hustle bustle. Very close to airport

• Stayed January 2013
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear meow1991

Sorry to hear the hotel was not what you expected. Queenstown is a very small town and yes we are located on the shores of beautiful Lake Wakatipu.
Unfortunately we had experienced heavy rainfall in the headwaters which caused the lake levels to rise and cover the walking track. This happens very rarely.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again should your travels bring you back to Queenstown.