“Good value if you can get a deal like we did”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed August 21, 2012

A very nice hotel, two person bath, big shower, fireplace in the large bedroom-lounge.
Good restaurants, bars, and a great swimming pool and hot tub. A regular ferry service into Queenstown, We got a very good three day deal at half price and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: They are all good. they face the early afternoon sun mostly.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sherwick
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear sherwick

Great to see you had such an enjoyable time and thank you for sharing your comments following your stay at Hilton Queenstown

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Andrew Nisbet

Write a ReviewReviews (2,877)

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to the Hilton with no expectations or preconceived notions, or to be honest ,much idea where it was, to join my husband there after he had been at a conference based in the hotel.
The hotel is impressive, the room with a lake view was superb with a separate sitting area with log effect gas fire and huge well equipped bathroom. Unusually small range of teas and no filter coffee provided in the room , though a helpful note to ask for fresh milk if you prefer it as I do. Again the minibar is somewhat bereft of contents with just a few beers and soft drinks. A little bit more information in the room about what is available on the site , transport etc would have been helpful .
Breakfast at the Wakatipu Grill was very pleasant overlooking the lake with a good range of all the usual things, coffees made to order, newspapers and very attentive service. Can't comment on the cooked breakfast as we didn't partake of that, though it was available and plenty of people were tucking in.
The service throughout our stay was very pleasant and helpful from everyone. I tried room service which was also very good and didn't take nearly the 45mins they said it would to arrive. Again the girl who brought it couldn't have been nicer.
But the hotel isn't really in Queenstown. There is a bus which I probably should have taken but I caught a taxi and was a little surprised at the $45 cost into Queenstown . There is a water taxi as well but it does not start till noon. There are several restaurants on the site , a deli, a hairdressers and ski and bike rental. Fantastic gym and pool in the hotel and a Spa.
Would I stay there again? Yes definitely, as it is the nicest hotel I have stayed at , in, or rather near, Queenstown. The staff were exceptionally pleasant. Fine with a car or planning your activities round the bus and water taxi , which I think runs into the evening so you could use it for going to Queenstown for dinner, or just stay there and use all that is available, walk /bike along the lake. Would be good for skiing the Remarkables .
Would have rated it excellent but for the minor things I mentioned earlier which one would expect from a hotel of this calibre.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear holyisle

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourself. I understand it is important for our guests to receive a memorable experience when staying in the hotel and your feedback is much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next in Queenstown.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The good bits
* Gorgeous rooms - loved the open fire place
* Dining options
* Friendly staff
* The views from the room and dining areas
* Close to ski fields
* Value for money

The bad bits
* Rooms can get a little too stuffy at night for a feather quilt. A much better night sleep was had with the door open.
* A little far from town (but nice and quiet as a result!!)
* Water taxi service doesn't commence until 12:30pm

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They offered us an upgrade to a room with a much better view for $NZ60 per night
1  Thank Aussietraveller81

Dear Aussietraveller81

Thank you for posting your review following your stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you listed more 'good bits' than 'bad bits'
We also have a bus service operating all day and an evening along with the water taxi.

Thank you for recommending us and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay when you are next visiting Queenstown.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I did not want to leave this place!! We boked the relaxation suite which was heavenly!
The hotel itself is located a 20 minute drive out of town which did not bother us and we caught the water taxi into the town at nighttime which is a fantastic service.
The room was so comfortable and loved the hot tub, overlooking the lake.
Valet parking was only $10 a night which is also a great deal.
Loved this place and would not hesitate to book it again when staying in Queenstown.

1  Thank clairehardman
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear clairehardman

Thank you for your great review.
I am so pleased you enjoyed yourselves. The relaxation rooms are amazing and having the great location we do, it is very enjoyable soaking in the hot tub looking out over the lake.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We flew into Queenstown early Friday morning for a long weekend. Too early for our room but the Hilton stored our luggage and txt us when our room was ready. One of their basic rooms but so comfortable we just loved it. Comfy amazing bed/pillows - being able to relax in adjoining sitting room area with gas fire and tv was so much better than the usual set up of having to sit on bed to read or watch tv. Enjoyed the pool over the weekend. Lovely walks around the lakeside, only 20 mins into Frankton and at $8 return on the bus into Queenstown is great value. Went one way on bus and back of Water Taxi as well which was a great trip as well. The Stacks Restaurant was our favourite. Good meal and a reasonable price, excellent service and watching Olympics at the same time. Noodle restaurant was great as well. Excellent service from everyone and we were made to feel very welcome. Lovely quiet surroundings, heard no noise from adjoining rooms. Can't wait to go back again !

Dear Holidaymaker094

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay at the Hilton Queenstown.

It was great to see you enjoyed yourselves and I am pleased you were able to enjoy so many of our facilities within the village.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

For those non-Aussies out there, 'cracker' means great, fabulous, wonderful and the Hilton Queenstown is certainly all those things...yes the location is out of town, but it's much more convenient to Arrowtown and the Remarks and has a lot more of a grown-up vibe, without the Aussie 'yobbos' which are sadly prevalent in QT in the peak season.

Our Wakatipu suite was gorgeous. I would convert my home into a facsimile of it if I lived in a cooler clime. Love the fireplace. Very quiet too (we had a corner room which had two adjoining doors, but never heard a peep from anyone even though the resort was full). The plush carpet meant no scraping of furniture or the clip-clop of high heels above- lovely.

Staff were very attentive and friendly.

Onsite food options were varied and of very high quality (not often the case for hotel restaurants). The Wakitipu Grill dinner options were of a particularly high standard, with the lamb shoulder (a huge serve) and the salmon entree particular standouts. We ate there two dinners and had room service pizza the final night, which was delicious and pizzeria quality. All of the meals we ate there were very good value for money. Breakfast wasn't up to the Asian hotel standard and was a little haphazard at times, with lots of kids and families charging around to get ready before heading out to the slopes, but it was all in good fun and handled well by the staff. And the view from Wakatipu Grill- wow. Love the outdoor fire pit too.

A lovely tall, dark featured young man from Auckland I think (?) served us one evening and he was very passionate and attentive with our food service and particularly our wine service. He is an absolute asset to the hotel. I so wish I could remember his name....

The only issues we had were our soap and bath bomb were not replaced during our 3 night stay. That and the fact we only stayed for three nights. Bummer.

definitely coming back- I wonder if they'd do a 'residential' deal...

Room Tip: The Wakatipu suites enjoy unobstructed views but are further from reception, yet closer to breakfast...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear verduzzo

Its great to hear we are a 'cracker' of a place and thank you for taking the time to post your positive review.

I do apologise your room amenities were not replenished regularly during your stay and I have raised this with our executive housekeeper to ensure she gives extra attention to training her team members regarding this.

I was very pleased you enjoyed yourselves and found our team members attentive and friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Queenstown next time you are in New Zealand.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We are currently staying at the Hilton Queenstown for 9 nights (currently on our 4th night) - we paid the extra to get a Deluxe Lakeview Room and booked daily buffet breakfast.
The setting here is amazing and very relaxing with plenty of dining options and amenities. Fireplaces in the rooms and lovely big bathrooms with baths makes for very comfortable and relaxing downtime.
We were a little disappointed about having to pay an additional $16 per person to get pancakes for breakfast when made-to-order omelettes are included in the buffet. We also have had to pay $120 for 7 days internet access when the website says "high speed internet access" in the room inclusions. I asked if we could have an extra 2 days internet for the rest of our stay to be included in the $120 but unfortunately this could not be accommodated. I would think for a 5-star Hilton that internet would be included for at least the Deluxe Lakeview package - even if they charged a little extra upfront and make it all inclusive (eg pancakes!) so you don't have to worry about anything once you get here.
Although the Hilton is on the other side of the lake and a bit out of town it's no drama at all to get into town and nice to be away from traffic etc. There is an hourly bus and water taxi into town for $10 per person each way.
Otherwise having a lovely time and enjoying the Hilton service and experience!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew N, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Natasha0026

Thank you for taking the time to post a review during your stay with us at Hilton Queenstown.
I am very pleased to see you are enjoying yourselves and I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention.
I understand our Assistant Manager has been in touch with you to explain there will be no extra charge for the internet and the additional breakfast charges have been cleared.
I do apologise for these concerns but I thank you for allowing us to rectify them while you are in house.
I do hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay.