“Two Stays” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland, New Zealand
“Two Stays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and stayed at the Hilton twice on two separate occasions. The first time was excellent, I couldn't fault anything. We had our car valet parked (its worth paying) and immediately caught the water taxi to Queenstown. I would completely recommend paying for the water taxi rather than pulling your hair out trying to get a carpark in Queenstown. Our room was sunny, well appointed and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. I had a huge surprise in the morning when it was 9am! We ate at the Noodle Bar (Mee Mee) which was appealing as we didn't feel like a big dinner. It was problematic as I'm vegetarian to get my request fulfilled. We ended up eating here twice (I should have known better) and both times it was hard to convince the staff that chicken and fish sauce should not be in vegetarian dishes.
The second visit was the last night of our South Island honeymoon. We had a different room on the 5th floor. It wasn't as well set out as our first room, and the balcony didn't get as much sun. The biggest problem occured at night, as there was a loud rumbling noise. I turned off the airconditioning (much to my husband's dismay) and discovered that the bathroom fan hummed, the fridge hummed and there was a constant noise coming from the wall that sounded like a spa bath was left on. At 12pm I found earplugs in my suitcase, and slept with earplugs another pillow jammed over my head. We talked to reception in the morning, and they said that they hadn 't had any complaints about the noise in that room. Both my husband and I couldn't sleep and we are usually both good sleepers. If I was fortunate enough to stay here again, I'd request the first room we had. If we couldn't get it then I don't think I'd stay again.
We used both the gym and the pool and they were very nice. We went for walks both the evenings we stayed and the wind was very cold and wild. If you go for a walk (even if its 26 degrees) in the evening, wrap up ultra warmly.
I read another review about jandals. We had just come from the Milford Track and looked like something the cat dragged in and we were greeted very warmly!! The staff here are great. The guys helping us with our bags were very kind and professional.

Room Tip: If you hear the airconditioning or another loud humming ask to move before you go to sleep!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KiwiCat1234
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear KiwiCat1234

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stays in the Hilton Queenstown.
I am sorry you experienced difficulties with your meal at Me & Mee. I have discussed this with our executive chef and he assures me they do not use chicken sauce in any vegetarian dish. They did use a fish sauce in the Thai salad but have since removed this.
I have also spoken with our engineer regarding the noisy room you encountered during your second stay. He has advised me some of the fans have prematurely burnt out their bearings and have been replaced once brought to our attention. However, he was unaware of any problems on the 5th floor. He is currently having his team check these rooms for excessive noise.
I am so pleased you found our team members kind and professional and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton for your anniversary.

Warm regards
Marlene Poynder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Winterthur, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

The Hilton Queenstown is near the airport (ZQN) on a peninsula with wonderful residential properties and about 10 minutes from downtown Queenstown. A shuttle (during morning hours), a public bus (all day) and a water taxi link it to downtown. Personally, I find this very location excellent. You stay in a tranquil place - but have various options to join the bustling downtown life.

The rooms are excellent. Mine was a suite with lakeviews from the beautiful balcony. Obviously, also the bathroom was fantastic.

There are a number of different restaurants in the hotel. The bar, the café and the Asian place are relatively normally priced - not cheap, but what is cheap in Queenstown? The fine dining Restaurant Wakatipu Grill is rather expensive. Food was tasty, but really at the upper end in respect of price.

The atmosphere is relaxed but smart. I'm happy that I could wear my jandals on this warm summer weekend in all parts of the hotel ... I wasn't sure about this after some discussion about barefoot patrons in this website. I can agree with minimal standards, but am happy not to be forced to dress up during my very limited leisure time.

Bottom line, an excellent stay. Thanks to Marlene (General Manager) and her staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank swiss_global_trip
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Dear swiss_global_trip

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay at Hilton Queenstown and thank you for sharing your feedback.
Thank you also for pointing out the various options for travelling into downtown Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you were happy to wear your jandals to enjoy our lovely summer weather.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton when you are next visiting Queenstown.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

A beautiful place, although decepts the distance from queenstown city center. Kawarau village looks and feels beautiful. The relaxation room is just excellent, only the whirl pool could have been a little more private. Breathtaking views, awesome food too.

• Stayed January 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed at another hotel for the first 4 nights of our trip but once we checked in at the Hilton for the remaining 3 nights, we wished we had done the whole of our trip at the Hilton. It is a beautiful hotel with everything you'd expect in terms of room decor, service, amenities, etc.

The location is a 15 minute drive or water taxi from central Queenstown so that may put off some people - however if you have a car or don't mind paying for taxis etc then don't let it deter you.

Our relaxation suite room was stunning, spacious, quiet and opened out onto a lovely garden right on the lakefront.

We had dinner at Wakatipu grill two nights, the food was fantastic, as was the service.

Only criticisms are: parking is a little far from the rooms (they do offer valet parking at $10 per day though), the options for lunchtime dining are very limited - the noodle bar looked great but was closed at lunch and the cafe offered a very limited range of food, we had some takeaway meals from the pub which were nice but the serving sizes were tiny. The pool is nice but it's indoors which didn't really work for our summer break when we wanted to be outside. The air con in the room was quite noisy.

All minor things and overall I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Get a relaxation room but ask for one away from the restaurant & bar to avoid noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunnynz1
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear sunnynz1

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was delighted to see you enjoyed yourselves and you were able to make full use of our lovely relaxation rooms.
The water taxi and hotel shuttle service operates every hour making travelling into downtown Queenstown very easy.
I do apologise you found the lunch options limiting but I am happy to advise we are currently extending our range of light meals in the Lake Counter Deli.
Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this beautiful, new and modern hotel. The room we had was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful.

There is a free shuttle to and from the town centre which operates in the morning (note the shuttle leaves from the back of The Station downtown, rather than from the front). Water taxi was $15 for a return trip. The Remarkables Park Town Centre which has a supermarket is about a 20 min walk away.

We found our lunch options to be limited other than the Hotel restaurant, deli and room service, but this won't be a problem for those who have a car or just want to relax at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LittleYarYar
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Little Yar Yar

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves and thank you for mentioning the ease of travel into downtown Queenstown.
I apologise you found the lunch options limited. We are in the process of adding more light meals to our current Lake Counter Deli menu and Stacks pub is open for lunch Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Thank you again for your positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Almost faultless.
Negative points were that it is a long way from Queenstown (which guarantees its serenity) so more shuttle services to and from the city would be appropriate. The water taxi service to Queenstown dock is fun but limited in departure times.
The room service food quality was ok, but stale bread in the 'Hilton Classic' burger was below par.
Also, having to pay $15 for 1 hour of in-room wireless internet is over the top and unacceptable especially during winter months when guests may be snowed in and unable to seek out better options.

On the sunny side, the staff here were excellent during my stay and the room quality was second to none and I've only experienced linen of this quality at the finest of hotels.

Thoroughly recommended provided you don't mind paying through the nose for internet and you have your own transportation.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Lake view rooms are highly recommended.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Alistair S
Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.
Between the water taxi and hotel shuttle the service into downtown Queenstown covers every hour until 10.30pm, however we are currently reviewing the idea of introducing two more later shuttle services.
I am sorry the room service food quality was not up to standard and I have addressed this with the executive chef to ensure it does not happen again.
The internet fees are always a popular topic of discussion. I am happy to advise Hilton Worldwide are at present reviewing these and we will see some changes in the near future.
I was pleased to see you found our team members excellent and I am happy you enjoyed the quality of the linen.
I look foward to welcomng you back to the hotel again when your travels bring you back to Queenstown.
Maroubra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The rooms here r very comfortable with great views but the cab fare from town to the hotel cost us $45 every night as we went into town during the day then stayed for dinner. We had dinner at the hotel the first night and ordered ravioli as a main which consisted of 6 ravioli!!! For $38!! And decided not to eat there again. The last water taxi leaves town at 10 pm and if your having dinner is too early.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if u don't have a car
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debs054
Marlene P, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Debs054

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Hilton Queenstown.

Our restaurant Wakatipu Grill is brassiere style dining and I apologise you were not happy with your main. The ravioli dish is made from fresh local crab.
The village does offer alternative dining options. Stacks pub has pizza and pasta dishes and the Me & Mee Noodle Bar offers asian mains. Both selections around $18-$20.

I do agree with you that the last water taxi does finish too early and we are currently looking at introducing later services with our hotel shuttle. This will make it possible for those who wish to stay later in town.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting Queenstown.