“What a spectacular hotel in a spectacular position”

Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This brand new hotel is situated right on lake Waikatipu. A fabulous property with spectacular views. Just loved the whole village feel of the area it is in and loads of options for eating. Going to do some research on their pastry chef as all to die for. The rooms are gorgeous and well appointed and enjoyed the friendly service you tend to get in New Zealand. Check out the open air sitting area - gorgeous. Also close to town with loads of other bars and restaurants to check out. Of course Queenstown should be on everyones bucket list.

Room Tip: From what I saw all goods but obviously with a view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
HiltonQueenstown, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Hello Janwholeboxndice
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
I am pleased you enjoyed yourself and I agree our pastry chef produces some delightful treats.
Hope to see you return soon
Safe travels
Marlene Poynder

Write a ReviewReviews (2,879)

Reviewed September 3, 2011

As a busy corporate traveller, I very rarely have the time to spend pre-arranging my holidays and quite often find that I waste time and money once I finally get to my destination due to poor planning on my part. On this occassion however, I was simply amazed that a short weekend away to the idyllic ski resort of Queenstown would prove to be an unforgetable experience - with unsurpassed guest service.
I had surprised my partner and decided to spoil her so booked a room at the new Hilton Queenstown. And only the day before we where due to depart, I noticed that on my confirmation there was a link to a vacation planner who I could contact to help with any recommendations and assistance. I would normally never think to do this - but because I did - I now firmly believe that our entire Queenstown experience was down to one person. I sent an e-mail to the Hilton vacation planner " Annika Worth" and she promptly responded asking me what she could do to ensure that our weekend was an unforgettable one. As I was short on time, I asked Annika to arrange on my behalf a weekend of romantic dinners and placed my trust in her to make any other recommendations.
On arrival at the hotel, to our delight Annika was there to meet and greet us. She then walked us to our room and had already placed some chocolates there ( what a wonderful touch ) She then explained that she was on duty all weeekend and if we required her assistance that all we need do is ask. Our dinner reservations at the hotel's signature restaurant " The Wakatipu Grill " had been arranged by Annika and she also suggested we have pre-dinner drinks in the Cru Wine Bar. Both of which where amazing ideas as we had travelled from Melbourne that day and did not want to venture out of the hotel if it was not necessary.
After a most enjoyable evening - we retreated to our room only to find that the housekeeping staff had been in to close the curtains and turn on our private fireplace. There was also a note from Annika advising us that she would meet us in the morning to discuss our next day's adventures.
After a sleep in ( I must say the bed's at this hotel are simply wonderful ) we ventured down to breakfast and was again meet by Annika who took the time to make her suggestions on the perfect day out in Queenstown. We went to Arrowtown and drove out to some local wineries - again awesome recommendations given to us by a lady who clearly understands the treasures of New Zealand's Central Otago.
On return to the hotel, we had yet another expression of appreciation in our room ( a cheese platter ) to accompany the wine we had just purchased. It was extremley tempting to remain in our hotel room for the evening - but Annika had left us a couple of vouchers to take the water taxi into the town centre. So we dined at the Botswana Butchery and this was very romantic.
As we had taken the water taxi - we could have a few drinks and really enjoy ourselves. My partner and I can not stop telling our family and friends about the memorable weekend we had - and how welcoming and incredible the staff at the hotel are. The property is beautiful, there is not doubt about that and we will definatley return because we did not have time for any spa treatments or even time to use other hotel facilities.
But if I can once again thank Annika ( who we found out on leaving - is actually an Australian ) for your extraordinary efforts. We will return to the Hilton because of you.

Room Tip: Contact Annika - prior to your arrival and ask for her assistance and suggestions.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aladdinscott
HiltonQueenstown, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Dear Aladdinscott
Thank you for your very detailed and positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton in Queenstown.
I am delighted you had a wonderful time and thank you for your encouraging comments about Annika. She will take great satisfaction in knowing she was able to ensure you got the most out of your short time in Queenstown.
It appears it was just enough to wet your appetite and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable experience.
Warm regards

Reviewed August 25, 2011

A fantastic place to stay, we were very happy with the whole experience while staying at Hilton Queenstown. Our room was lovely and serviced thoroughly each day. The fireplace was a big plus! All staff were friendly and happy to assist in any way. This hotel is certainly not in the "centre of town" but perfect for those who want something a little more private. It did not bother us, wonderful restaurants are right downstairs and it's easy to catch either the water taxi or shuttle. Perfect if you are hiring a car (there is a free underground car park) and planning on taking a few day trips out of town. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tsarina19
HiltonQueenstown, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Hello tsarina19

Thank you for posting your feedback.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Queenstown. We take pride in our high standard of service, so it is pleasing to read such positive comments.
Glad to hear you will be back and we look forward to having you return.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and loved everything about the hotel. The room was fantastic, we felt right at home. It was great having options just a few steps away for meals, all of which we tried and loved! (the bar, pub, restaurant, cafe, noodle bar), or alternatively having the water-taxi or shuttle bus there to take us into town! Coming back by the hotel water-taxi after a great night in Queenstown, surrounded by the beautiful scenery of snow-capped mountains, was a romantic and magic experience! The staff were fantastic, and we loved the lobby bar and use of the business centre. We were sad to leave once our trip was up!! I hope that we can one day return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RebecaH
HiltonQueenstown, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear RebecaH
Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make use of all the facilities in the village.
We are very fortunate to be surrounded by such fantastic views and to experience them from the water at night is truly amazing.
We hope one day soon you will be back in Queenstown and we can welcome you back for another pleasurable experience.
Warm regards

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our family were put up at the hotel for 2 days by our airline following NZ biggest snowfall in 70 years. Having already stayed for a week in Queenstown we were very impressed with the accomodation, facilities and friendliness of the staff. We then had to take another 2 days as the airport was stil closed and we moved to the self catering apartments in Hiltons Kawarau village. Fantastic views and the kitchens were better appointed than our previous accomodation in town. The Hilton Staff even helped move our gear to the apartments. Excellent service and a great cinema room for nightly viewings. We will definitely come back if we are in Queenstown again. As it is a bit out of town a rental car would be a good idea although the hotel offers free shuttles in and out plus the water taxi service is brilliant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank flameon70

Hello flameon70
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay in our two hotels.
I understand it must have been a trying time for you having your plans disrupted by the weather. I am delighted we were able to assist in making the extension of your stay in Queenstown so enjoyable.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the village on a more planned visit next time.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Me and three friends all stayed at the Queenstown Hilton recently and arrived right on time for some world class boarding after an epic snowstorm. It's a beautiful hotel and the views are straight out of the movies. We have all travelled a lot and can honestly say that the hotel is set in one of the most beautiful places in the world. The rooms are all real slick and the staff were all great but the real gem here is the hotels cocktail lounge, Cru Bar. Being Aussies we love a good drink but the drinks here were exceptional in both presentation and taste. Matthew Bray Heather was the guy running the show and fully deserves a mention here for both his exceptional knowledge and world class cocktails. He was the greatest host and really made our experience both educational and unforgettably fun, so if you get the chance to, make sure you check him out. All in all full marks for an awesome hotel with an outstanding bar in one of the most beautiful locations in Australasia.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thomas M

Hello Thomas M
Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Queenstown.
It has been a great bout of snow for the skiers and boarders this season.
Thank you also for your kind comments regarding Matthew in the Cru Bar. He will be delighted to read your review and take great satisfaction in knowing he made your experience here both educational and fun.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you return to Queenstown again.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Great hotel, very helpful and friendly staff, nice rooms, lovely spa, good restaurants, wonderful views. Highly recommend to anyone who doesn't mind not being right in the middle of town... Only ten mins away by water taxi (just 5 bucks per person)... A nice way to get around. We split our time between here and the sofitel so we would have some time to get to know the centre followed by some relaxing time by the lake. Would have to say the Hilton wins it.

Only complaint is no free wireless (not even in the lobby) which seemed a bit stingy.

• Stayed: August 2011
HiltonQueenstown, General Manager at Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear Collry
Great to hear you had an enjoyable time with us here at the Hilton and I thank you for taking the time to place your feedback.
Hilton Hotels world wide are currently reviewing their internet systems and charges.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Thank you again for sharing your comments, it is greatly appreciated.