“Stay Here!”

Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Reviewed April 5, 2013

You can tell this hostel has put thought into the comfort needs of a backpacker.The beds have two pillows, a towel, and a light for reading.The rooms are quiet and the hostel attracts conscientious travelers so that getting a good night’s sleep is not a problem.The bathrooms are new and luxurious.The free use of wifi, iPads, bikes, etc., is just the icing on the cake. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable about the countless activities in Queenstown and they were right when they suggested I do the Canyon Swing in the afternoon rather than the morning to avoid the post-adrenaline let down. If you are looking to meet other travelers, it’s easy to do here. There is a comfortable lounge area with a giant flat screen and a library of movies to choose from. The open kitchen and the three long tables in the eating area make it easy to connect with others.One evening I had the privilege of dining with the owner. He is well-traveled and was quite generous with his fine wine. AQ is more than just a clean, comfortable, safe place to stay. There’s a sense of community. It can be difficult to leave. It’s obvious that this hostel wants to be the best in the world, and if it is not already, it will be there soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Normally I don't bother with reviews, but this place was so good it's the least I can do to thank them. Excellent staff. helpful and social. Great location. Nice kitchen and dining area, with roast dinners once a week. Balconies galore. Standard dorm rooms but clean, 2 pillows, plugs by your bed, free storage. Great living room to relax in.

All adds up to a fantastic hostel and atmosphere. Not sure where they could possibly improve it, but you can be damn sure that if you know a way, they would most likely do it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Lots of things are for free, and they are offering it with a big smile. The staff is superb and supremely friendly. I wish I would have stayed here longer, but one night stay was enough for me to confirm all the excellent reviews they have received. I will mention top few things that I found here and not anywhere else, that won my heart. Free spices and oil in the kitchen; free towel on the bed (yes in the dorm room), dedicated power connection for every bed and a tour of the hostel at check in - "a tour while checking in". I stayed in over 10 hostels, in Australia and New Zealand. We all know that it takes a day to figure out things in the hostel. A tour while checking in, helps a lot to get familiarize with the setup. IT feels more personal - more like a home. The hostel is doing a fantastic job.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've been travelling around the world,been in many many countries and hostels but this is by far the best hostel I've ever stayed in!You can tell the owner really knows what backpacking is all about and what do we need when travelling.You have so many free stuff to choose from,the hostel is clean,rooms great and the location is a gem.In time when owners of ruined down houses do a bit of makeover and call it a hostel this truly is a great place to stay in.Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in your Hostel for 8 nights. Everything was so well organized. Its cool that once you checkin; everything is free(even ipads en gopro's). Great kitchen and showers are even better. Bunks where good eventhough I'm 6ft 10inches. Thank you Brett and staff. You got something really special going on. Cheers

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is an amazing hostel, very well managed and everything runs like clockwork, we stayed for 6 days and loved every minute. The beds were super comfortable and rooms were spotless. Batrooms were immaculate, better than most hotels, it has it all here free Internet, free computer room, massive common area with bean bags, plasma tv etc etc. the kitchen very well laid out, loads of space and all the utensils, decks with great views eating your dinner. We had the €8 roast on the Sunday and it was class, then the casserole Wednesday, Brett man you are a legend. Anyone who faults this place without a genuine reason is not an honest reviewer, will be recommending this place to anyone who visits queenstown .the staff here are super friendly and well trained, they give a sense of real customer care which really makes you feel at home. Loads of fridges in the kitchen aswell so plenty of storage. You get a great sense of security here aswell with cameras in the lockup storage.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomTumb
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I can honestly not give this place a high enough recommendation. It was brilliant, and the staff and atmosphere made my stay in Queenstown one of the best holidays of my life. From the moment I walked in, I was welcomed by chilled out, friendly staff who introduced me to everyone in the common room and the kitchen as I was given a one on one tour of the whole place. Within 10 minutes I'd made friends from three different countries, been invited out in a big group for that night, and been given realistic advice on what to expect on all the attractions that Queenstown has to offer. I wish I'd never left!

Location: Find me a hostel in a more convenient location and I'll jump naked into the Shotover river. Located right next to the main bus stop, and on top of Subway, Adventure commands two floors in the best location in town. Although it's central, through some twist of devilry they've managed to avoid being within 50m of any of the clubs, so at night it's relatively quiet. Communal balconies on both floors are perfect for eating, reading or taking in the view. There is a supermarket 2 minutes walk away, a Subway/KFC/McDonalds within 50 metres and - most importantly - multiple bottle shops within a few minutes walk. World Bar is also just around the corner. There are ATMs from ASB and Westpac within 50m. Perfect.

Staff: I was so impressed with my treatment that I asked if I could come back in November and work/live in the hostel. The staff were so chilled out and friendly that on my final day some of them came and played Frisbee golf with us in the park. They'll sort out all your activities for you and give you honest advice about what's good value, where to shop, where to drink etc. Genuinely nice, down to earth people.

Room: I stayed in a 3-bed private room with an ensuite (cue the groans) with two friends, so some of you may think that I didn't experience the true hostel experience of being thrown in an 8-bed room with a group of strangers. If you get the chance, and are willing to pay a few extra $ per night, I'd recommend this room. There was a massive King/Queen (not sure) bed and a bunk bed, as well as our own private balcony. We had a couch and a widescreen TV, as well as a kettle and a really nice bathroom (better than my one at home). In fact, even the beds were better than my one at home. Damn. Maybe I will legitimately move to Queenstown. You are given towels, and your bed is made for you before you turn up.

Bathrooms: All bathrooms (ensuite and communal) were really nice, with nice stone tiles and MY GOD the showers were good, especially after canyoning. They were clean, and there were enough that nobody was ever waiting to use the shower. Really, really nice.

Freebies: For a deposit, you can borrow a bike and helmet for free from the hostel. Like, wow. The trust there is phenomenal. They also lend out iPads (for free) and there is free WiFi in every room of the hostel.

Atmosphere: This is the only part where I (slightly) veer away from my all out love affair with this hostel. I am 19, so my main purpose was to have a good time - all the time. And I did. Between 8pm-11pm though, you might have trouble finding a quiet communal spot to read and chill out. It's worth keeping in mind that for the most part whilst I was there, Adventure attracted a younger crowd. An older lady (maybe 50-60) was bunking in my friends room, and she chose to read in bed rather than sit in the common room at night. It's not raucous, it's not noisy - what I'm trying to say is that there is always something going on. Be it a Mario Kart tournament on Thursdays, or BBQ night on Wednesdays, the communal rooms are always being used to socialise and prepare for the night out ahead. Absolutely brilliant if you're under 30, exactly what you want. But if you're looking for a quiet corner to read your book, your bed might be the best bet.

Tips: If ordering from FergBurger (1 minute walk away) always call up and order over the phone. It saved us about 30m of waiting in line!

Overall an amazing experience. I've made friends for life and honestly cannot think of a way that they can improve the hostel.

Absolutely. The. Best.

Stayed February 18th - February 21st 2013

Room Tip: Thoroughly recommend the 3-bed Private Ensuite. Brilliance. If you're travelling alone, I'd...